1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessing FSX Direct3D Engine from outside

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by Samuélé, 8/10/08.

1. Samuélé

Samuélé

Hi everyone

I was wondering if it's possible to access D3D objects and surfaces/textures of FSX during runtime from outside. You know, like FRAPS does with the yellow fps digits in the corner of the screen...but just directly onto surfaces like wings, windshield..etc...

Thanks for any hints

Regards
    Sam
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I don't think it is, however I could be wrong. There are ways to overlay stuff onto the FSX screen as can be done with AFX and Instant Scenery for example. But I think that is an overlay rather than actually interacting with the FS 3D objects
  3. Samuélé

Samuélé

Too bad, I was hoping to be able to write my own VC rain engine since MS unfortunately has disabled it for FSX. Well, thanks for your answer anyway, I'll keep looking :)
  4. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    FSX didn't "disable" the VCRain effect. The new shader based rendering system simply won't support the chained-texture animation system used in FS9, since it's entirely CPU bound.
  5. ziporama

ziporama

unitedstates
    There are low level hooks you can use in DirectX to trap the rendering pipeline and inject your own drawing code.

There are older code examples on how to intercept rendering in DX, I found some examples here: http://nexe.gamedev.net/directKnowledge/ in both C++ and C#.

Interesting concept.

Etienne