1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add a menu in FSX

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by bromarock, 29/11/07.

1. bromarock

bromarock

italy
    Hi all...
    I've read this topic: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3180

but I don't understand a thing.
    If I add a menu item with SimConnect Event, every time I start FSX, I wuold have to run my SimConnect Application...(or not?:confused:)

I need a way to "install" a new menu item in the FSX menu bar...is it possible?
  2. beatle

beatle

us-virginia
    Well, yes you would have to have your addon running to have the menu item there. What exactly would you expect your added menu item to do, if there was a way to add one with out having an addon running at the same time? Without some sort of addon connected to the specific menu item, there wouldn't be anybody to respond to it when it was selected.

I'm confused (not an unusual state though :-> )
  3. bromarock

bromarock

italy
    What I want is simple (I thought :D): have a menu item that permits to start my addon (a windows form application that will connect with FSX using SimConnect and do some things...).

Is it possible?
  4. beatle

beatle

us-virginia
    No, that is not possible. What you can do is reference your addon .EXE in the EXE.XML file and then FSX will launch your addon automatically everytime it starts.

The SimConnect menu feature is to allow users to trigger something in an addon from within the sim (ie turn on/off some feature the addon provides, change modes in the addon, etc).
  5. bromarock

bromarock

italy
    Ah...ok...that's enough for me :)

I didn't know the exe.xml feature...it seems good.
    So...addon like Ivap (the Ivao client if you know...) use this feature to be available by menu...?

Anyway...I would try this, thanks for your help!:cool:
  6. beatle

beatle

us-virginia
    I haven't used the IVAO client, but I imagine it uses this feature. The SDK can be a little hard to find stuff in unless you already know what you want, but it gets better with every release :->