1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding PAPI-lights to airstrip

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by frehen, 11/10/06.

1. frehen

frehen

netherlands
    Hi there,

I like to add PAPI-lights (PAPI4) to an existing airstrip which I have already installed.
    Can anybody explain to me how to do that ??
    I have already edited the AFCAD-file, but now, I think, I have to place the lights themselves as an scenery object (with EZ Scenery ?) and of course to get them functioning (how ?).

Please advise,

Frehen.
  2. ras78

ras78

italy
    Hi,
    is not so difficult to create a 4-boxes papi light. You basically have to model each boxes with a program such GMax, then place a light for each boxes (in front of them). Just export with SDK2002 preserving source files. Now, you've to hack the *_0.asm file by using separation_plane and some foundamentals of math (vector calculation). I suggest you to search some interesting threads in this forum, since papi has been one of the most hard-to-do task.
  3. Paavo

Paavo

estonia
    Basically you just have to add four VectorJump position test commands to your PAPI model, one for every light. Due to a bug in FSX engine, every PAPI light system requires its own MDL model file, so if you have a runway with PAPI lights on both ends, you have to use two different MDL files.

I can give you an example in a few hours when I arrive home.
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Guys, I am not sure if Frehen is talking about tweaking the lights he has made in GMax :).

@Frehen, depending on how the scenery has been made, it can be possible to add a PAPI only by editing the AFCAD file. But if the airport has some detailed ground polygons, then this will not work and you have to place an actual scenery object for them to show.