1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Taxi Segment - Wrong Runway Number?

Discussion in 'FSX Planner' started by boleyd, 14/6/07.

1. boleyd

boleyd

us-pennsylvania
    I have converted a working (in FSX) runway to XML (via SDE). It has a missing taxi segment. The runway number is = 2. When I add the segment over the runway the runway number assigned to the taxiway is = 1. The segment connects the end points ok. Of course this gives a compile error. The runway heading is 8.25. I suspect that the program is basing the taxi assignment on the heading and not on the runway number.

When constructing a taxiway on top of a runway the program makes it a Type = Taxi. The user has to catch this and change it to Runway. Is it possible to note that the taxiway is on top of a runway and assign the correct Type when it is created?

Regards,
    Dick Boley
    Last edited: 14/6/07
  2. rf360m

rf360m

The taxiway number defaults to 1, as that is the first in the list. It's not based on a heading or anything else.

If your runway is #2, then the taxiway should abe associated with runway #2. Assigning it to runway #1 would cause an error.

Having the taxiway automatically become a runway taxiway if it is on top of a runway is an interesting idea, but I think it may also cause problems. How do you know a taxiway is on top of a runway? What if only part of the taxiway is on top of a runway, or what if it's a very small segment that is crossing a runway, but should not be a runway taxiway? These are rhetorical questions that I need to discuss here in order to determine the best solution. Of course if you'd like to give you opinion please don't hesitate to do so.

-Russell
  3. rf360m

rf360m

Oh, one more thing. When creating a taxiway if you create a taxiway segment with a taxiway point that has only one other taxiway associated with it, then the new taxiway segment will take the properties of that taxiway. So if you creatre a runway taxiway segment over part of the runway, then create more taxiway segments from that segment, the newly created ones will also be runway taxiways.

Hopefully that is clear. It's a but difficult to explain without pictures.

-Russell
  4. boleyd

boleyd

us-pennsylvania
    If I erase a taxiway segment for runway number 14 and then replace it the taxiway number is now 01. You get an error Taxiway Without A Runway as expected.

To assign a taxiway the correct number, both ends of the segment must be within the runway. I have no idea if there is enough easy to access runway info to make this determination.