• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX ADE building textures turn black at night?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello I use ADE a lot and have found some object textures turn black at night! They work fine in the day but slowly fade away. Is there any way to fix this? I don't have DX10 on so that's not the issue...

-Many thanks in advance Ols
(p.s if you want pictures just ask)

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi art209,
thanks for responding I'm not quite sure how to check, please can you tell me how?

Country
unitedstates
That would depend on the what the object is and how it is being introduced into the sim. If you have the MDL file, you can import it into ModelConverterX and study it's properties, including textures. If it's in a library of objects, you can import the library BGL file into ModelConverterX, select the object and examine it.

Country
unitedkingdom
Ok so I will download ModelConverterX and open the BGL into it and click a properties button, but after that is there a line of code or something, which I am looking for? eg NightTexture=true?

Country
unitedkingdom
Ok I have found the object that is the problem. Can you tell me how to "examine" it please?

Country
unitedstates
Okay. You have apparently identified the building as a library object. Once the BGL file is imported, you can scroll thru the objects with arrows on the ModelConverterX task bar. When you have selected the object, select object information from the task bar and you will see a list of textures. If a texture does not also include one with a _LM suffix, it has not night texture. In such a case that portion of an object will appear very dark at night (not necessarily black). If a night texture is included in the object and that texture is missing in the sim, much worse things often happen with the object, including during the day time.

Country
unitedkingdom
Right Two texture files have the _LM suffix and two don't...
ctrl_twr_b_LM.dds
gen_cntrltowerbldg04_tex_0.bmp
gen_cntrltowerbldg04_tex_1.bmp
twr_rail_LM.dds
Can I just add the _LM suffix or do I have to create night time textures-which I have no idea about :)

Country
unitedstates
No, you can't just add the suffix. This sounds like a default FSX object. What is it?

Country
unitedstates
Nevermind, I found it. Microsoft actually included a black texture for nighttime. I hadn't noticed this before. An image of the textures is attached. You could create a replacement _LM texture using a paint program and DTXBmp.

Attachments

• textures.JPG
    textures.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 223
Country
unitedkingdom
Ok I think I can find a tutorial on that. Thanks again! Bye.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk