1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADE Compiling Problem

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by canciaro, 4/3/08.

1. canciaro

canciaro

canada
    I downloaded ADE and got the 1.05 update. My home airport is CYQG-Windsor, and when after making a small change in apron widths, I saved the airport and compiled it into my Addon Scenery/Scenery folder. After I exit and look in that folder it is not there, eventhough other BGL files I have downloaded are there.

ADE is not saving my BGL files..
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    The main reasons why ADE might not generate a bgl file are either that FSX is running at the time or some error has occurred with BglComp. Have you set the folder paths correctly for BglComp and FSX?
  3. canciaro

canciaro

canada
    I know that FSX is not running.

PATHS:
    FSX BGL Compiler: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK

FS Folder:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X
  4. Reider

Reider

Can`t believe I`m answering this at 5am but here goes. I always save to the desktop first to stop any mistakes (other than mine). You can do this by using 'save as' and select desktop. Then just copy it to the addon/scenery folder, this way you get a backup too. Alternatively use 'save as' and reselect the addon folder path. It may be that the files are going into the addon root folder rather than addon/scenery.

I also tend to use my added scenery from their own descriptive scenery folder, so they can be independently turned on/off and easily removed without having to search too far. The path is addon/scenery/my add on/scenery. Where 'my add on' is the name of the new scenery eg Plymouth and has a scenery and a texture folder inside it too. Thus....

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery\Plymouth

Reider
    ________
    GL650
    Last edited: 21/1/11
  5. canciaro

canciaro

canada
    I know, I tried to save to desktop, still didn't save and it said it did.
  6. scruffyduck

wales
    Can you please send me or post the ade file? also a copy of the file called ade_200803.log ?

Just checking that you used File > Compile Airport to compile the Bgl and the messaged box said Airport Compiled
  7. canciaro

canciaro

canada
    So you want me to send you the ADE file before I compiled it, and what is the other .log thing?
  8. scruffyduck

wales
    Correct. When you save a file in ADE it does saves all the information in a file with an ade extension. If there are problems with this file then maybe it won't compile so if we see it we can check it

ADE maintain a log of so that we can trouble shoot problems. There may be more than one but the current one is a file called ade_200803.log and it will be found in the ADE application folder.
  9. canciaro

canciaro

canada
    Okay, how do I send it to you, that's convenient?
  10. scruffyduck

wales
    Yes email it to jon AT scruffyduck.co.uk
  11. scruffyduck

wales
    OK got your files and checked both. Your log indicates the following location for the compile

I opened your file here and compiled it. My log says:

the compiled bgl was saved in that location.

What operating system are you using? I wonder if there is something stopping the save happening?
  12. scruffyduck

wales
    Robert

One other question - are you seeing any error messages when compiling? Based on your log you appear to be using the original version of BglComp. This can crash if an airport has a boundary fence which your airport does. You should update the SDK to at least SP1a via FSInsider.com
  13. canciaro

canciaro

canada
    How do you update the SDK? When I got the SDK I installed it and found the BGLComp. I am using Vista but when I installed, I right-clicked and installed as an administrator.
  14. scruffyduck

wales
    OK maybe one of the other guys who run Vista will follow this up. There have been problems where FSX is intalled in the Program Files folder structure - as yours is. It is probably not ADE itself but maybe the operating system is not allowing files to be written to FSX - but then I am still running XP and do not have Vista so I cannot test anything.

If you go to www.fsinsider.com and the downloads section you will see a download to the SDK SP1a. If you don't have the Acceleration Pack or SP" installed then I think that is probably the best one to download. If you have the Acceleration Pack then there is an updated SDK on the DVD.

If oyu get it from the web site then after downloading just run the installer. It will check to see if you have the original version from the DVD installed and then update. You will then need to make sure that ADE points to the updated SDK.
  15. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    Canciaro,

The SDK version you use must be identical to the FSX version.

If you are using SP1, then download SDK SP1a.

If you are using SP2, then download the SDK SP2 Update.

Jon's advice to install Simulator, SDK and all related tools below another folder structure than %Program Files% (C:\Program Files in most cases) is very much advisable.
    The reason is that Vista protects this system folder against possible threats. Changes to ini files, file replacements are all likely candidates and will in best cases cause a prompt asking for allowance, otherwise they just get blocked.

So if you can stand another installation session, I would do so.
    Last edited: 6/3/08
  16. canciaro

canciaro

canada
    Very interesting, I am going to install the sp2 SDK update now and see what happens.
  17. canciaro

canciaro

canada
    I installed the updates and everything works, except for that I have to compile to my documents folder and then manually move the BGL file into the addon scenery folder.

Thanks for all the help.
  18. scruffyduck

wales
    Good to know that you are getting somewhere now.
  19. Reider

Reider

You can use 'save as' from the ADE menu and save to somewhere else if you wish.....

Reider
    ________
    free drupal themes
    Last edited: 21/1/11
  20. widenerb

widenerb

us-newhampshire
    ADE Compilation Problem

I am new to using ADE. I can't seem to get it to save my compiled airport files. I have tried everything suggested in this thread, with no success. I have the latest ADE ver 1.05, I have the SP1a SDK. I checked "updates", it says I have all the correct versions. I get no error indicators when I check my airport file, and I do get the "airport compiled" box when I try to compile and save. I have tried saving to the desktop as well as to the FSX scenery/scenery directory.
    I assume I am missing something really simple, but I am at a loss as how to proceed.
    Any thoughts?
    BTW, I am using FSX with SP1 and Acceleration installed. Is it possible I should remove SP1?