1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADE Home 1.0 Altitude issue

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by StickBender, 14/3/08.

1. StickBender

StickBender

us-washington
    Hello all.

After searching the forums I am under the impression this was corrected, however I have found I can not set an altitude to anything above 180 feet.

This is a fictional airport located on terrain that is at 1270 AMSL. Needless to say an altitude of 180 feet is creating a very large crater! (laugh)

Any idea what I can do? I adore the tool and would like to be able to use it in a scenery project for the community.

Thank you indeed!

Stick
    Virtual Back Country Flight Association
    http://gotbush.org
  2. StickBender

StickBender

us-washington
    I just attempted to see if there was a .xml export thinking one could manually adjust this. No go. Is there any way? I am dead in the tracks here. Thank you.
  3. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Are you using version 1.05?
  4. StickBender

StickBender

us-washington
    No, downloaded today Sir from your site. Ver. 1.0 Home. I had ver. .4 or something before. Used it months ago. This is new.

And thank you for the great work! I just need to be able to set this Altitude. If we can use this you can expect our support. We are a team of five so far.

Gain, thank you!
  5. glottis

glottis

newzealand
    StickBender
    you now need to run the updater from the menu
    and get the two files in which to overwrite the originals
    which will give you version 1.05
    if this is not correct I'm sure Jon will correct me :)
    been a long time since i did this...........

Ray
  6. scruffyduck

wales
    Ray is correct. you need to run the updater and get version 1.05. This should fix the problem
  7. StickBender

StickBender

us-washington
    Oh Brilliant! My Bad! Sorry Jon and Thank you both (Ray). In all the time I spent working with the thing I never once noticed Check for Updates. I do believe that silly on my part.

Suggestion Jon, perhaps a little code in the install for new folks to produce a message to direct them to check for updates? Or perhaps even search the updates automatically during the initial config, first step? That would be helpful, especially to yourself to avoid having these questions. You know many, they plow right in and overlook things. I spent several hours and not once noticed an update option. And I have been a developoer and system administrator for years. sigh..

Thank you so very much. I'll give that a go.

Stick
    http://gotbush.org
  8. StickBender

StickBender

us-washington
    Ok, the altitude is working fine. I note that with the new version I can not move things (ndb, runway, etc) with mouse. I must edit using math. 1.0 allowed moving things around. As a matter of fact, I can not even select an object unless I use LIST.

I have a question.

I would like to have Runways/Taxiways with no surface. Is this possible?
    The surface textures are already in place in the scenery.
    If this is not currently implemented where can I request it?

I see that I can place starts and all is well. Just not certain how AI will treat it. If Starts and Nodes is all I need, great. I do not wish for the surfaces to be changed. These are dirt/ice/snow/rock/gravel strips that are already drawn/painted in scenery using land class. These are not always flat, some are/will be sloped/bumpy and have water puddles etc. I would just like to implement AI usage of them as well as providing people those locations as starts.

Thank you. And what a wonderful tool! :D

Stick
  9. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    For runways, the only way is to set the width to zero. For taxiways, it is possible in xml to specify not to draw the surface, however, ADE does not support this yet.

AI usage requires a flat planar surface for the area surrounding the runways, taxiways will force the surface to be flat.

George
  10. scruffyduck

wales
    Not sure what you mean. clicking on something should select it (unless you have set a program level lock for runways or aprons) and then hitting Enter or selecting Edit Object from the right click menu will allow you to edit it

As I recall that is because FSX does not honor that flag
  11. StickBender

StickBender

us-washington
    Actually, I found a way Jon, set the runway width 0 (zero), simple as that. At least that seems to be working. Had a little trouble getting AI to use the facility and I think that was due to magnetic variation. Unsure as of yet.

As far as the other issue, it seems when I select a tool such as placing a gate, from then on I can not select the selection tool (pointer) so if I click anywhere it places a gate no matter what. Even if Gate is not depressed in the tool bar. It seems once another tool has been used, the pointer/select tool is no longer usable. If I exit ADE and restart it it works fine, until of course I use another tool. Do you love programming? heh, I adore it.

Hope this helps you. And thanks indeed!
  12. scruffyduck

wales
    I have never seen that. Clicking on the pointer mode (arrow button) will bring you back into pointer mode - are you saying that does not work?
  13. StickBender

StickBender

us-washington
    I found the zero setting by experimenting. I appreciate you addressing it.

Thank you George. I have found for our project all one must really do is place starts. No runway is needed. Since these air fields are designed for human consumption in a multi-player environment I think we can keep the rough strips. And, just as well, we do not usually use AI in the sessions. However, it is a great deal of fun when someone joins the session and starts being a tower boss in a bush flying, remote, Ultima Thule situation, where there is no tower within a hundred NM, to create a flight of 19 AI DC3 and head them his way. (grin) Needless to say, you are correct about the setting of 0, and I shall use the XML editor and remove taxiways if I need.

I appreciate everyones assistance here!
    Last edited: 14/3/08
  14. StickBender

StickBender

us-washington
    Indeed Jon, it fails to return to that mode and uses what ever tool I last selected. Chances are the is a rare thing that might be specific to a minority of systems, software versions etc. Let me know if you want to explore it further.

Update: It seems to be intermittent as it has not replicated the problem since I last loaded ADE. I will keep an eye out, if it happens much I will let you know.

Thank you
    Last edited: 14/3/08
  15. glottis

glottis

newzealand
    Just to add Stick
    make sure you have hold short nodes at your rwy entrance
    you can make them "HOLD_SHORT_NO_DRAW" for them not to show on the surface in FSX

Ray
  16. StickBender

StickBender

us-washington
    Hold Shorts

Thank you. I would use those on a larger field. This is a 1400 foot dirt runway that is 100 miles from the nearest road. No kidding. :p No much need to AI there. But it is fun to create AI aircraft and control them in a multi player session.

Thank you all for the great help!!
  17. StickBender

StickBender

us-washington
    UPDATE - Hiding Taxiways

Gentlemen, in case you are not aware, I want to let you know it is possible to hide taxiways with ADE. There is no need to edit .xml file. Simply create them as type PATH and no surface is displayed and AI aircraft use them without a hitch.

Brilliant!