• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Aerofly FS 2; SDK

Country
us-arizona
Hey guys,

This is thread on the new Aerofly 2 SDK. This is going to be mostly on how to convert objects and planes to AF2 (Aerofly 2) format.

As of today, the airplane tools are not ready, not released. The scenery SDK 'is'. The scenery SDK works with many versions of Max. When its all installed, you will have an added 'Export As...' and IPACS is an option now in Max as a export format.

There is a Kingman airport kit in the package that shows you in Max format how it looks, how the materials are applied, then the SDK PDF walks you through how to install this into AF2.

I havent done the Kingman install yet. So many things going on over here presently. Hopefully tonight.

Team IPACS have started a 'How To' on one of my planes that will explain how the materials work and the animations. These are some screenshots of my Rutan in AF2. The plane is now fitted with the Materials. FSX materials will not work. You would create new 'stock' Max textures and copy/paste over the maps and then apply (switch out) the textures on the parts of each texture.

Easily done via;
* Create new replacement AF2 material.
* Copy out Diffuse texture of FSX Material to new AF2 material
* Use 'Select Parts by Material' in Max Material Manager via selected FSX Material, then select the AF2 Material and click Apply and all parts using that particular Material are switched out to the new AF2. Done...

Textures on the Q200 are not finished. Almost finished, but not quite. Animations are next. I do not presently have the aircraft export tool yet. Only scenery. (I feel like a kid at Christmas time).

Amazing how different the Q looks in AF2. So totally different. The settings are in 4K and its running nicely. It is presently setup with the Short 330 airfile tune, so its a feisty thing at present.

aerofly_fs_screenshot_05_20160714-155517.jpg

aerofly_fs_screenshot_06_20160714-155526.jpg

aerofly_fs_screenshot_08_20160714-155538.jpg

jdephmkmbjeekdpa.jpg

View angles are not setup yet.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Since we do have subforums for other simulators, why not ask Arno for one related to Aerofly?
This should keep your development discoveries in an easy to find place.

Country
us-arizona
Since we do have subforums for other simulators, why not ask Arno for one related to Aerofly?
This should keep your development discoveries in an easy to find place.

So far, only two threads going. It might be too soon.

Also, in the model zone, we could just add a 'sim version' selector to point out what our questions would be about, like right now its FSX, FSX SE, P3D V1, etc. We could add AF2 into that flip down list. (The header when you start a thread, the type of sim you are talking about).

Same for gauges.

But.... For scenery, a Aerofly 2 scenery room would be very nice. That would could certainly use its own room. But for models, its the same field, and I think many might try exporting to AF2 and why separate them if they are FSX people exporting to AF2. (Thats my humble thoughts).

Right now, I am just discovering this SDK and wanted to share it with others.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
No more "simulator" tags, please. This is primarily a forum for MSFS (and close derivatives) after all.

And I'm pretty sure that a subforum will fill up just nicely over time.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I think when Aerofly 2 moves out of Beta we would have sub-forums.

Dick

Country
unitedkingdom
Hey guys,

This is thread on the new Aerofly 2 SDK. This is going to be mostly on how to convert objects and planes to AF2 (Aerofly 2) format.

As of today, the airplane tools are not ready, not released. The scenery SDK 'is'. The scenery SDK works with many versions of Max. When its all installed, you will have an added 'Export As...' and IPACS is an option now in Max as a export format.

There is a Kingman airport kit in the package that shows you in Max format how it looks, how the materials are applied, then the SDK PDF walks you through how to install this into AF2.

I havent done the Kingman install yet. So many things going on over here presently. Hopefully tonight.

Team IPACS have started a 'How To' on one of my planes that will explain how the materials work and the animations. These are some screenshots of my Rutan in AF2. The plane is now fitted with the Materials. FSX materials will not work. You would create new 'stock' Max textures and copy/paste over the maps and then apply (switch out) the textures on the parts of each texture.

Easily done via;
* Create new replacement AF2 material.
* Copy out Diffuse texture of FSX Material to new AF2 material
* Use 'Select Parts by Material' in Max Material Manager via selected FSX Material, then select the AF2 Material and click Apply and all parts using that particular Material are switched out to the new AF2. Done...

Textures on the Q200 are not finished. Almost finished, but not quite. Animations are next. I do not presently have the aircraft export tool yet. Only scenery. (I feel like a kid at Christmas time).

Amazing how different the Q looks in AF2. So totally different. The settings are in 4K and its running nicely. It is presently setup with the Short 330 airfile tune, so its a feisty thing at present.

View attachment 29556

View attachment 29557

View attachment 29558

View attachment 29559

View angles are not setup yet.

Looks quite interesting.

I'd like a little more information on scenery creation:

1. Any default buildings/trees etc available to use in the SDK ?

2. Any possibility of 'importing' either a bgl or xml format ? (I'm merely thinking of using my own local scenery/airfield created in xml).

3. Scenery ground textures/mesh etc for the UK ?

I fly mainly 'local' in P3d, with perhaps the occasional flight - with plans - using FSCommander and the 737/A'bus from MAN to EGLL.

Regards
Bill

Country
us-arizona
Hey Bill,

I havent gone that far into the SDK. I know they have a Kingman airport scene in Max 2013, and a Kingman package for the sim that you install and can see how everything works, how the textures are applied, etc. This is in the SDK kit.

They only have California, Arizona, and Nevada for USA, and Switzerland. They have the mesh, and for the three states and Switzerland, its very nice mesh. Textures are VERY blurry for the rest of the world. They intend to add the rest of most of the world in the future, but for now, thats all they have. A lot of people want England and Europe, and the rest of the US.

Country
us-arizona
.....and Washington / Oregon...

EDIT: And England....

EDIT2: And France...

EDIT3: and Italy and Germany....

EDIT4: And Denmark and Sweden...

EDIT5: and... and... and...

Country
canada
For those Americans moving to Canada (in November) .......... pick a province ... :duck:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I'd best get my passport renewed before November. I just may need it and it may not be possible to get one renewed after November... :stirthepo

Country
us-arizona
For those Americans moving to Canada (in November) .......... pick a province ... :duck:

I was seriously talking with my family about this. Maybe far west above Washington? Or above Wisconsin so I can see OshKosh in the future?

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
I was playing around with the main config files last night on my plane and on the Pitts.

The TMC and the TMD files are configs. The TMC is like the main basic entry document; the name of the plane, its introduction (shows up on the aircraft selection window). The TMD is a massive main config file that has 4 sections;

TMD FILE SECTIONS
* Camera angles
* Model Animations and click assignments / control assignments / rotation axis and extents of animations
* Hinging and Dynamics and Innertias'. (I believe this is for parts that break away, such as wings, etc, when the plane crashes).
* Sound section (end part)

TMC FILE SECTIONS
* Name of plane
* Introduction
* Basic aircraft settings;
<[float64][WingSpan][6.1]>
<[float64][Mass][700.0]>
<[float64][MinimumSpeed] [ 26.7]>
<[float64][ApproachSpeed] [ 40.0]>
<[float64][CruiseSpeed] [ 68.0]>
<[float64][MaximumSpeed] [108.0]>
<[tmvector2d][FlapSpeedRange] [ 0.0 0.0 ]>
<[tmvector2d][NormalSpeedRange] [ 30.9 79.7 ]>
<[tmvector2d][CautionSpeedRange][ 79.7 108.0 ]>
<[float64][MaximumAltitude][6400.0]>
<[float64][QSpan][6.1]>
<[float64][QMass][776]>
<[float64][QSpeed][97.2]>
<[float64][QPower][194000.0]>
<[float64][QThrust][0.0]>
<[float64][QRange][400000.0]>
<[float64][QRatio][0.0]>
<[float64][QBuild][650]>
<[float64][QVirgin][1945]>
<[float64][AileronGain][0.4]>
<[float64][ElevatorGain][0.4]>
<[float64][RudderGain][0.2]>
<[bool][Airplane][true]>
<[bool][Aerobatic][true]>
<[string8][Pilot][pilot_daniel]>

The above is for the Pitts. I do not understand speed. For instance, cruise speed is 68.0. Is that 68 feet per minute or? Probably meters as it is German language based.

It can get very technical. Michael, a developer at IPACS was telling me that basically we can take an existing plane that is similar in build size and use that planes settings to get it 'quick set' for the sim, and then tune it. Same as we do with airfile templates; configs and airfiles.

Next is the Controls TMD. This could be their version of our ModelDef.XML, except that they have theirs on a document 'in' with their plane in its folder, and its tuned to locations in the plane, like an X,Y,Z point.

Sample; first part of the Pitts Control.TMD:

<[file][][]
<[modelmanager][][]
<[pointer_list_tmcontrol][ControlObjects][]
<[control_cylinder][PressureSettingPilot][0]
<[string8][Name][PressureSettingPilot]>
<[vector3_float64][R0][0.0454910883091822 0.163654147600734 0.186819]>
<[matrix3_float64][B0][0.970295726275998 0.241921895599668 0 -0.241921895599668 0.970295726275998 0 0 0 1]>
<[control_message][OnPush][]
<[string8][Message][]>
<[string8][Qualifiers][]>
<[float64][Value][1]>
>
<[control_message][OnPull][]
<[string8][Message][]>
<[float64][Value][1]>
>
<[control_message][OnRotate][]
<[string8][Message][PressureSettingPilot]>
<[float64][Value][1]>
>
<[float64][Radius][0.008]>
<[float64][Length][0.02]>
>
<[control_cylinder][PressureSettingPax][1]
<[string8][Name][PressureSettingPax]>
<[vector3_float64][R0][0.784327 0.208398 0.176768]>
<[matrix3_float64][B0][1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1]>
<[string8][Message][]>
<[float64][Value][1]>
>
<[control_message][OnPull][]
<[string8][Message][]>
<[float64][Value][1]>
>
<[control_message][OnRotate][]
<[string8][Message][PressureSettingCopilot]>
<[float64][Value][1]>
>
<[float64][Radius][0.008]>
<[float64][Length][0.02]>
>

<[control_cylinder][NAV1StandbyFrequencySmall][1]
<[string8][Name][NAV1StandbyFrequencySmall]>
<[vector3_float64][R0][0.2129357715 -0.067981 -0.162702111]>
<[matrix3_float64][B0][0.258819 0 -0.965926 0 1 0 0.965926 0 0.258819]>
<[string8][Message][]>
<[float64][Value][1]>

Another thing that IPACS do is assign materials a reflection setting in the config. It tells the sim engine what angle to shine the reflection onto the part and at what time of day. This is done with most or all parts, from what I gather. I could be wrong, but that is what I see. Its part of each parts setting.

From what I am thinking, it could be best to 'Attach' parts to parts so bring down the number of various input settings in the TMD config. Where we assign Hierarchies in the 3D design engine before export, an IPACS format model will not have this. Hierarchies from the design engine are not (not) followed. This could enable how the plane can destruct in a crash, perhaps. I dont know.

Interesting...

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I was seriously talking with my family about this. Maybe far west above Washington? Or above Wisconsin so I can see OshKosh in the future?
Don't let anyone know about this otherwise you'll get Justin Trudeau pushing parliament to build a wall across the US boarder. :rotfl: