• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Aging Gracefully?

n4gix

Resource contributor
I've long made it a practice to "learn at least one new thing everyday." While this has served me well, I've noticed over the past few years that I tend to "forget at least three things I used to know" everyday...

Bill+

Ronald

Resource contributor
...I've noticed over the past few years that I tend to "forget at least three things I used to know" everyday...
<Hands over pencil and notebook>
<Offers suggestion to create RAM memory-dumps to plain-old-paper swap-file(s) for a long lasting storage effect>

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

This method worked well for Leonardo, and preserved his knowledge for future-generations Bill++, so why not give it a try?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Bill, I am well aware how you feel. Making scenery in flight sim is very complex and takes a long time. Last week I needed to do jetway for my project ZBAA and I forgot the extrude function in Gmax, after I had been doing the lines and polygons of ground poly for months!. I need to write down the tutorial how to do many things. They are not only for newbies, but myself too. Sometimes I need to read back my own-written-tutorials to figure out how to do something.

Last edited:
I've just answered some support queries on my forum, and most of what I said was 'I really don't remember how this is meant to work, give it a try.' SOOO much water under the bridge...
The main problem for me is that I forget words now -- I used to have a great vocab, now I grasp for words that are not there. One day I'll just stop communicating, and then I WILL be a grumpy old git!

Present company emphatically excluded!
This might come in handy, can I quote you? There are so many times when normal exclusions just don't cut it..

htps://ww.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?253115-Exclusion-tool-in-ADE-(FSX)-doesn-t-seem-to-Exclude
htp://ww.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/exclude-not-excluding.20621/
htps://ww.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?253115-Exclusion-tool-in-ADE-(FSX)-doesn-t-seem-to-Exclude
htp://ww.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/missing-exclusions-after-compiling-airport.439382/
htp://ww.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/cant-find-exclusion.18919/

Although those were all real links, I nerfed them because I really hate the daisy chain that occurs when somebody asks a question and somebody else answers with one or several links to other posts on this same website. If you've ever tried to follow the wormhole of looped posts to get a definitive answer, you will understand my reluctance to add emphatic exclusions to that search, since this is only tongue-in-cheek.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
This might come in handy, can I quote you? There are so many times when normal exclusions just don't cut it...
By all means, no copyright claimed. The emphatic exclusion is also a programming construct found in XML and to a lesser degree C++ and always returns false. A typical example:-

Code:
{ There is no way that code is wrong, there must be a bug in the interpreter/compiler/DLL/library/modeldef/config/Windows/forum/sdk } boolean;
A proposal to include the emphatic exclusion in C# is also being considered.

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
I really hate the daisy chain that occurs when somebody asks a question and somebody else answers with one or several links to other posts on this same website.
I think I know who you are referring to, Rick. I really hate that too.

If he knows exactly what is the answer, he should answer to the question by his own thought, not the massive, numerous links. If he had guts enough he has to digest all those links into one simple answer. Answer the question with tons of links does not do anything.

Or is it the one of aging ungracefully?

Last edited:
To be fair, I myself have fallen for the temptation to "run someones Google search for them" and state the fact implicitly by posting the single cryptic link, so I can only point finger in the mirror.
We share as we are able and sometimes, maybe, the developers site develops developers ability to develop - I think time will tell on that one, but it is good to know that some of the ideas we think are valuable are truly valid.

n4gix

Resource contributor
My current bug bear is not being able to remember what I watched on TV last night. Mind you most of it is not that memorable.
LOL! What I've sometimes encountered is when starting to post a reply, should I forget to quote the relevant portion upon which I'm targeting my reply, I find I've completely forgotten the proximate cause for my comment! :rotfl:

It's also sad that I have to look at my medications box to remember what day of the week it is... :confused: