1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI Aircraft multiple parking codes "appear to work" in FSX

Discussion in 'BGLComp XML, AFCAD, SceneGenX' started by rfields, 12/5/07.

1. rfields

rfields

us-arkansas
    I've been working a little on an airport - ran a test today with multiple parking codes in the aircraft.cfg fltsim.x sections.

It appears the second code is being used in FSX for parking AI aircraft.

But I need someone willing to test.

I'm using the default AI traffic file and aircraft.

I've made changes to PANC, and to the C gates with parking code ASA

All other gates have no parking code.

I have the Pacifica aircraft all set to Parking code ASA

I have the World Travel aircraft set to Parking code NWA,ASA

The World Travel repaints are parking in open ASA spots.

This is just a preliminary test, something which need to be worked on in more depth, but if it works this way - it will be a major change in aircraft.cfg setup options.
  2. ugo1

ugo1

italy
    Good to know, that mean we can set also "area code". Have you tryed using more than 4 letter?

Thanks

Ugo
  3. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    If that is the case, then I consider that to be poor at best, and a bug at worst.

In my mind, the way it should work, is that the World Travel should go to NWA spots FIRST, and if none are available, then go to ASA. And if no ASA are available, then it should go to any non-coded spot.
  4. jvile

jvile

Mace,

We are testing the atc_parking_codes= portion of the aircraft.cfg file.

In the past FS9 did not honor but one airline code in that line.

Reggie's preliminary testing is showing that 2 Airline codes are being honored in FSX. We ask for this in FS9 and we were told the engine code was written but it never worked.

atc_parking_codes=NWA,ASA

There are no parking spots with a NWA code, just ASA. Read Reggie's post again.

By placing both NWA and ASA in the atc_parking_codes= is a major change if FSX is now honoring 2 airline codes. That means there does not have to be a NWA Parking spot on the airport because the AI Plane is now looking for either a NWA (does not exsit) or ASA (exsit) to park in.
    Last edited: 13/5/07
  5. rfields

rfields

us-arkansas
    This has the potential to significantly restructure the entire AI methodology - replacing most of the FS2004 parking code concepts.

We could have American Eagle CRJs with AALX,AAL and they could use AAL jetway parking, while the Saab 340 with AALX only would not go to those gates.

European airports could be setup with a code for the non-customs group of airlines.

Holiday airports could use CHTR for the many charter flights rather than trying to separate regular traffic with dedicated gates, and the dozens of airlines which share a couple gates.

Those were just two codes I chose at random, though both use PANC.

And I started with the default aircraft - because that is where any good test of FS starts - with the default aircraft.

If the default aircraft can be set to exhibit a certain behavior - then if AI addon aircraft will not exhibit the behavior, the fault is in the addon aircraft, not Flight Simulator.

Too many people don't test with default aircraft and then incorrectly declare Flight Simulator does something wrong, or cannot do some desired behavior.

Right now we have no FSX AI aircraft available, so I'm always concerned that non-updated aircraft might be the reason for a behavior failure rather than FS.
  6. jvile

jvile

Reggie

I have thrown everything I can at the new multiple parking codes in the aircraft.cfg and it WORKS

I have AWE using the new USA color scheme but still coded as AWE.

[fltsim.26]
    title=Airbus A320-200 AI_AWE_NC_aie
    sim=evai_a320_iae
    model=IAE
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=AWE_NC
    atc_id=N563US
    atc_id_color=0xffffffff
    atc_airline=US Air
    atc_flight_number=3566
    atc_parking_types=GATE
    atc_parking_codes=AWE
    atc_heavy=0
    ui_manufacturer=Airbus
    ui_type=320-200
    ui_variation=America West using USA New Colors
    description=AI Evolve A320-200

Because I did not code a AWE parking spot at KMIA I noticed 4 USAir New Color A320's parking over at my new J Terminal which has all blank parking spots.

So what I did was this

atc_parking_codes=AWE,USA

and all the USA paints with AWE cfg's went to the USA parking spots.

I then went 6 deep to see if FSX would look further then 2 places. I used all ICAO Airline codes that are not at KMIA including the original AWE as the first code in the list

atc_parking_codes=AWE,RFT,ACD,MKP,EIN,USA

All my USA paints with AWE cfg's still found a USA parking spot. I also changed the USA to the forth place with no problems.

I then added 2 AWE Parking Spots at KMIA. The first 2 AWE's loaded at their coded spots and the other 2 AWE's went to the USA parking spots.

I did not add any TED coded parking but added UAL to TED as per the following.

atc_parking_codes=TED,UAL

My 2 TED's found the UAL parking spots.

I then tried the "X's"

My CRJ/F100 AAL's is coded AALX which puts them at the Satellite E Remote parking building. I would prefer the CRJ/F100's come up to the main terminal leaving the AALX Island hopper Dash 8's out at remote parking. That worked also, but,

CRJ/F100
    atc_parking_codes=AALX,AAL

Dash 8's
    atc_parking_codes=AALX

i had to limit the amount of 15M spots so the Dash 8's would keep those full. The CRJ/F100's would look to the AAL second code which then pushes them up to the main Terminal.

If a AALX parking spot is open they are going there first. If all spots are full of Dash 8's they move on to AAL using a 18M spot at the main terminal.

Any suggestions?

Important

NO Spaces and add comma's in the line or it does not work. This technique could also be used as a controllable cascade.
    Last edited: 14/5/07
  7. rfields

rfields

us-arkansas
    Jim

It might be time to consider a third regional code

AALJ or AALP

You could code the jet aircraft:

atc_parking_codes=AALJ,AALX

Then code the terminal parking spots AAL,AALJ

Your regional jets would fill the terminal spots first , and their fallback parking would be at the Satellite terminal.

That would keep them out of the large AAL parking spots.
  8. ugo1

ugo1

italy
    Someone tried using five or six letters for each parking code? I ask that because for military parking having only four letter is limiting a bit if we want code the parking with squadron code. Also I think is important understand if this limit is still the four letter.

Thanks

Ugo
  9. jvile

jvile

@Ugo

I have that on my list to check once I confirm Reggie's findings. I want to find out at what value breaks FSX.

Reggie

The AALJ/AALP works the way you explained it.

I am almost ready to release a new FSX KMIA but for the moment will stay with mostly the older FS9 parking scheme.

My readme in the upload would be massive if I tried to explain how everyone needs to change cfg file's to fit a multiple entry.

As Jon moves forward with ADE many users will be able to change parking spot and add the multiple ICAO codes in the cfg with proper instructions. I think Jon is waiting on a parking code standard but ADE could also have a cfg editor window. I can invision ADE with the cfg editor and some parts of a AITM/yRoute. When you look at the power of his base programming code for the bgl's many applications can be developed and layered on top.

Problem is we need a place to discuss this in detail so a link can be used for understanding the technique (your find, your call).

Look back at the my original post on the runway crosswind technique which is now gone from PAI. Over 35,000 hits on that one post alone and today some designers are still asking how to do it. I can't find all my post on the many different indepth how to write Approach code that use to be on PAI. Those also went missing when the update was done to the Forum.
    Last edited: 14/5/07
  10. glottis

glottis

newzealand
    Jim
    I'm trying to find it, i've found your one on how to get fs9 afcads to work in FSX, and Reggies one on how to move a tower view point, but i think they are still there at PAI....................
    I have so much stuff on 3 hard drives..........
    Ray
  11. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    It would be a great help if those old posts could be found.

I am very happy to add extra functionality and editors for ADE. I have in mind to use some simple plug-in technology as well to make extending it simpler. Right now I have fixed most of the bugs raised in version 0.20 plus the updated Open Airport function that does now seem stable.
  12. rfields

rfields

us-arkansas
    Jon

Jim and I have tried several things over the years. Dedicated web pages, forums, tips and tricks. The biggest problem with these is updates when we learn something new.

The way I see the main issue is that a new manual on how to do airport design which controls AI behavior needs to be written.

Building airport structure to control AI can become very complex very quickly

I'm wondering if the Wiki might be a good tool to use for this task.
  13. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    The Wiki would certainly be a good place to collect the information. I have a personal preference for a written manual perhaps supported by video tutorials. However I do think the Wiki would work very well to gather everything that is known. Then manuals etc could be written from that information if desired.
  14. AirPierre

AirPierre

unitedkingdom
    In case this thread is still alive I noticed form the SDK that parking codes were entered in the AFCAD with a space between:-

eg. "PSA, ASA" and not "PSA,ASA"?
  15. jvile

jvile

Peter

<TaxiwayParking index="40"
    type="GATE_MEDIUM"
    name="GATE_A"
    number="25"
    lat="N25 47.88537"
    lon="W080 16.27651"
    heading="326.21"
    radius="24.1M"
    teeOffset1="7.92"
    teeOffset2="12.19"
    airlineCodes="TAI, COG, AAL"
    pushBack="BOTH"/>

A space is needed in the XML when writing ICAO Airline codes to parking spots including using the AFCAD

We are refering to the aircraft.cfg and the SimObject Container SDK which does not specify multiple entries. Only by trial and error did we realize no space is allowed in the following

atc_parking_code=AAL,AALP,AALJ
    Last edited: 24/6/07
  16. AirPierre

AirPierre

unitedkingdom
    Roger on that Jim - now I know this that is yet another editing job to go on the list!! :eek:
  17. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    Quick related question:

Does this also apply to aircraft_parking_types=GATE,RAMP in the aircraft.cfg?

No spaces there also?
  18. rfields

rfields

us-arkansas
    I've never seen GATE,RAMP to work as:

Gate parking spots and if none available RAMP parking spots.

But I haven't tested it in FSX specifically.

The problem is RAMP

Many people assume RAMP means RAMP_GA_LARGE

But my testing for FS2004 showed that RAMP means:

RAMP_CARGO
    RAMP_MIL_COMBAT
    RAMP_MIL_CARGO
    RAMP_GA (Called Unknown in AFCAD)
    RAMP_GA_SMALL
    RAMP_GA_MEDIUM
    RAMP_GA_LARGE

All those type spots had equal value/ importance.

The deciding factor was always size of the parking spot.

In FS2004 GATE,RAMP it worked as:

Park in an open gate with no parking code, then park anywhere else on the airport in the spot closest to the aircraft size.

It appears from what I've seen so far that it works the same way in FSX.

GATE,CARGO would be something to test, but as long as RAMP means everything which is not a gate - it does nothing to narrow the parking spot selection.
    Last edited: 25/6/07
  19. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    But, it must be GATE,RAMP and not GATE, RAMP?

I too have tested FSX re:what you mention and it is behaving just like FS2004.
  20. Phantoms

Phantoms

unitedstates
    I was always under the impression that it didn't need GATE,RAMP as if it just states GATE, then it will use it's parking code to find the proper gate, if none available then a gate with no parking code, if none, then any empty gate and then on to ramp spots.