1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI Flight Planner Altering AirportXX.txt File

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by dwitek, 3/3/09.

1. dwitek

dwitek

us-michigan
    After several years of producing flight plans by hand using Notebook I am learning quickly how much faster and more accurately I can produce plans for customized GA traffic using this great software. I have several questions the first of which I will put into this thread.

I've noticed that upon saving my flight plans the longitude designator gets changed from W (all my airports are in the Western Hempisphere) to S in the Airportxx.txt file. The Airportxx.txt file is fine when I decompile the traffic file via TTools. What I've had to do is save a copy of my Airport_XX.txt file before bringing up AI Flight Planner so that I don't have to manually change them all back. I then compile the flight plans through TTools. If I don't change all the S's back to W's TTools rejects the Airport file and will not compile the data. Once I change the longitude designator to W, TTools compiles the plans normally and they work fine.

I use FS9 and am using the latest AI Flight Planner that I just downloaded and updated this past weekend (1.6.02). I store my Aircraft, Airport, and FlightPlan files in a directory other than where I installed AI Flight Planner.

Any thoughts on what is causing this?
  2. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    dwitek

The first thing I do with a new version of AIFP, or after adding an airport, is go to "Find/Collect Airports" in the Airport pull down menu. I do not use the provided data base, in case I have changed coordinates. I never have changed anything, but there it is. Actually, done it both ways, seem to work OK. Anyway , let AIFP build and save an Airport DAT file. That will be the file AIFP works with.

I don't use FS9 any more, so I don't know if there is some problem compiling FS9 plans. I've never seen that with FSX.

When everything works, there is no reason to even think about Ttools again.
  3. dwitek

dwitek

us-michigan
    That was my next step, to let AIFP do the compile. Thanks, I'll give it a try.
  4. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    dwitek, the only use AIFP makes of the airport.txt file is to get positional information for non-stock airports that have not previously been collected (as Bob noted). The only reason the airport.txt file is generated is for backwards compatibility with TTools. But, since AIFP includes a compiler, I suspect few make use of this facility - which is probably why the problem has remained undetected for so long.

I have confirmed I can reproduce it and will fix it in the next release.

Don
  5. dwitek

dwitek

us-michigan
    Glad to help but now that I have worked a bit this evening with AIFP doing the compiling I see that it is much easier to do it that way. I found that if I wanted to save the .txt files for whatever reason I can just decompile the .bgl file when I want to.

I even used the function of adding a new plane to the aircraft list and using it in a flightplan.

Thanks for your support and for the great tool.
  6. Ryan_M

Ryan_M

australia
    G'Day everyone.

Old thread but slightly on the same topic.

I've compiled a new airportList.dat file, but why is it that I need to re-compile this list every time I open AIFP?

I have an issue where the airports I've created/modified using AFX won't be on the list. I can manually check them and that works, but if I try and add a whole folder containing airfields, the ones I'm after wont load... no idea why.
  7. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    You don't need to.

The only reason why an airport created with AFX wouldn't be collected by AIFP (assuming all the proper boxes are checked when you run Collect Airports) is that AFX creates an airport file that is not recognized as such by AIFP. Presumably, the airports of interest are new airports, not redesigned stock airports. Please note an "airport" must have at least one runway or heliport to be considered an airport by AIFP.

Is anyone else having difficulty with AFX airports?

The other alternative is to add the problem airports manually with the Airport Editor.

If you are convinced AFX airports are the problem, please send me one together with a before and after sample of Airportlist.dat.

Don
  8. Ryan_M

Ryan_M

australia
    Thanks for the info. If I attempt to make a flight plan, it will say "xxxx is not in airportList.dat etc etc". So I need to make a new list every time I open AIFP.
  9. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Ryan, that says to me that, for some reason, the missing airport was not collected. Once it's in AirportList.dat, the only way to remove it is to open the file and delete the line.

Don
  10. Ryan_M

Ryan_M

australia
    Yeah I don't understand why it's happening. Just means I have to rebuild the airport list every time I load the program.

Thanks for the help anyway.
  11. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Why don't you add it manually using the Airport Editor?

Also, I be interested in getting a copy of the afcad for that airport so I can determine why it's not collected. Could you send it to me, please. Either attach it to a post or e-mail to don at stuff4fs dot com.

Don