• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Introducing Development Release 3.4.3.14(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
germany
Aircraft search problem?

Hi Don,
first of all thanks for you intense work on this great program!

Could the eliminate a problem find a new one thing has happened again? With the latest version (22) I got problems combining flightplans and aircraft. The substitute button in the download/install/substitute area shows either no reaction at all or takes very long until it finds aircrafts.
I use FS9 and tried it with two AIG flightplans and one other.
Just tried to do a complete new "install" of AIFP but that didn't do the job either.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Jooky, the latest development release 2.1.22(b) available from the http://stuff4fs.com website fixes that issue. I just haven't had a chance to post that information to fsdeveloper.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
AIFP Version 2.1.23 is available.

This update fixes several recently-reported bugs (as well as something I "broke" in the previous release.)

This update should be automatically detected and downloaded. If not, it can be downloaded by visiting the website http://stuff4fs.com and navigating to the AIFP page.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Since there have been no new "bugs" reported lately in either the general release or the development release, I have updated AIFP to Version 2.1.24. This new version is a collection of fixes for all issues reported since the previous release. As well, it contains a few mionor improvements.

This update should be automatically detected and downloaded. If not, it can be downloaded by visiting the website http://stuff4fs.com and navigating to the AIFP page.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
There is a problem in 2.1.24 with non-stock airports. If the compiler complains that there is no information available on non-stock airports which were included in the traffic file/text file set you are working with, please download and install version 2.1.24(a) as the Development Release from http://stuff4fs.com.

Once it's confirmed that this update fully fixes the problem, I'll re-release.

Don

Hi Don,

I am using your last update and I am trying to add some GA traffic to an airport that is not yet in the traffic_aircraft_GA.bgl.
I added the airport (no problem, added a couple of FP's and now I have been waiting for over an hour to have AIFP validate the plans (it is not even compiling yet).
I checked the CPU load and memory usage but both seem to be within limits (~50%).
I realize that the default GA traffic file is large but I wonder if that is normal behavior (the validating bar is now at 10% only).
Thanks beforehand for taking a look at this.

Roby

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Roby, I don't have a file named traffic_aircraft_GA.bgl. I this a file you made? Will the file load into AIFP? Either way, if you send me the file (my e-mail will accept up to 20 mb) or a link to it, I'll take a look.

In any case, I validated traffic_aircraft.bgl (in Scenery\World\Scenery) using the Files / Validate function and it completed in about 15 seconds. Validating after load from the Flight Plans menu is even faster - although there is a minor issue with the latter in that no progress bar is displayed (which I'll fix.).

Don

pjk

Country
unitedstates
Have you ever thought about adding some sorting capabilities to the aircraft list within AIFP? I ask this because in my version of FSX, I have over 3700 aircraft files and selecting aircraft for a FP becomes a daunting and time-consuming task. This is because I must choose aircraft based on the file name, not on the aircraft type nor the carrier. Sometimes the file names are cryptic, other times, not so much. But at a minimum, they are arranged such that a single carrier's aircraft will be scattered throughout the list.

It would be very nice to be able to sort that list by carrier, type, cruising speed and/or range. In addition, it would be nice if you could add the functionality of dumping the aircraft list to a csv (or txt) file similar to the way the SDK tool, "Dump Airport List" works. That way users of your program could utilize the SDK tool, TDBB in conjunction with AIFP, or at a minimum, that list could be used to generate the sorting capabilities I previously mentioned.

Thanks,

Peter

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Peter, it's not clear whether you are asking for "on-line" or "off-line" capability.

If "on-line", presumably you are referring to the "add aircraft to Aircraft List" features. Currently, you may sort by aircraft folder name or AI title. You may also restrict the list to only aircraft meeting any criteria you specify (but the list is still sorted by AI title). It may be possible to add other sort criteria but, before I investigate, I want to understand what, exactly, you want.

If its "off-line" capability you're after, adding the capability to dump the aircraft complement by different sort criteria probably isn't a "big deal" either, but your reference to TDBB and the SDK confuses me. As well, I'd be very surprised if there isn't already a utility available to do that since it's a "generic" operation.

So, please be a little more specific as to what capability you would like to see added to AIFP.

Don

pjk

Country
unitedstates
Heh. Funny thing, I guess I meant both...

First, off-line. I have this open thread in the Living World & general AI forum asking precisely if there is a way to generate an aircraft list like those required by TDBB. Its only been up a short time, 46 reads, no replies. Your application (AIFP - as if you don't already know) practically does this already, except for the actual exporting.

Second. As I stated, I have a cargo hold full of aircraft installed in my FSX and the task of selecting one for a FP becomes daunting. The problem really stems from the fact that the file names aren't always descriptive enough to tell me what planes are inside and I am always having to lookup what each carrier's code is then scroll through 60 pages or so to find matches. If the list could be displayed such that all carriers were arranged together, the task would be easier. If I could view the carriers and the aircraft type from the "Bulk Add" or "Add Single Aircraft" windows, it would be much much quicker.

Currently, I have amassed an excel workbook with all the carriers, countries, call signs and codes. I look up a carrier I want to use, then enter its call sign as a search criteria within the "Add single Aircraft" window then choosing "by Title etc..." That gives me a short list of planes to choose from. If I could get that kind of information without having to lookup the call sign every time, it would make the process easy peasy.

Ultimately, I have a traffic hybrid of both TDBB and AIPF traffic. I generated random traffic using TDBB and then went in an edited the routes individually (using AIFP), replacing the stock aircraft with appropriate aircraft for the route. For my one custom airport, TDBB created 53 routes. It took me eight hours to change the aircraft with the current lookup method. If I had a way to generate a compatible aircraft list, I could have fed that to TDBB. If I had the ability to sort from within AIFP, the lookups would not be necessary. I also have 15 or so AIFP created routes for my custom AP, slowly filling the gaps that TDBB left behind.

I hope I have explained the situation thoroughly enough. And please forgive me, I know it's easy to ask for free stuff when somebody else has to write the code (I've been there and done that). If you think it would be beneficial for AIFP and you want to do it, great. If you don't, well that's okay too. AIFP is a pretty useful tool and I appreciate what you have done already.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Peter, I'll add this to "the list"

I'm nearly finished the upgrade to SAMM (SAMM2) so will be focusing on AIFP again shortly.

The current AIFP Development Release contains a number of bug fixes that have collected over the past couple of months and a few very minor improvements. It appears to be very stable. So, my plan is to generally release it in a few days and then start looking at enhancements to AIFP (there are several items already on "the list").

I'll post in this forum when I have something new to test.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
AIFP Version 2.1.25 is available.

This update incorporates a number of fixes I've been collecting for the past couple of months as well as a few small enhancements. (Please refer to the included Version History for details). Actually, it seems I may never have re-released Version 2.1.24 after it was withdrawn shortly after its initial release due to a critical bug. So, those of you who haven't downloaded a recent development release may see major improvements.

This update should be automatically detected and downloaded the next time you run AIFP. If not, it can be downloaded by visiting my website http://stuff4fs.com and navigating to the AIFP page.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
While I don't usually announce development releases here, I think Version 2.1.25(d) is worthy of mention since it includes two significant upgrades:
  • Merge function re-instated (which I inadvertently omitted from earlier releases of Version 2) and
  • a significantly-enhanced selection capability for installed aircraft.
Regarding the latter, all functions that involve selection of installed aircraft now use the same dialog. In addition to the earlier capability to list all installed aircraft, you may now:
  • "massage" the list by displaying only a subset based on aircraft type (e.g., airline, military),
  • sort the list by a variety of fields,
  • refine the list using the same methodology as when substituting aircraft (which now uses this dialog), and
  • dump the entire list or the selected subset in CSV format.
As an alternative to scrolling, the list also displays tool-tips when the width of the list box cannot accommodate all the data.

Version 2.1.25(d) is available as the AIFP Development Release at http://stuff4fs.com.

I'd welcome feedback on the new aircraft selection mechanism and suggestions as to how it may be made even more useful.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just posted AIFP Version 2.1.25(g). It is available as the AIFP Development Release from http://stuff4fs.com and contains another new feature worthy of announcement - significantly enhanced airport update capability

This feature was a tough one to craft. There is no single source of complete airport update information (that I was able to find). And, I am not prepared to take on the task of creating/maintaining one.

AIG maintains an airport database that is updated periodically and which you may download. (I've suggested the link be made more prominent.) However, that database does not contain any name information; consequently, local time (and several other AIFP features) will not work with its airports. Others have indicated they maintain other sorts of airport information, but again, with deficiencies that would affect AIFP performance. So, I opted to include in AIFP a general purpose update routine that "knows about" three formats for update data, but will import data from any tabular text file:
  • the AIG format
  • the Ttools airports.txt format (AIFP has always been able to update from this format), and
  • AIFP's AirportList.dat format.
If the file is not in one of these three formats, you are able to manually specify field offsets and separation character.

Just download the update file and point the Airport Editor to it. You may select as few or as many of the updates as you wish, or you can tell AIFP to accept them all. But, a note of caution. As mentioned above, the absence of name data, while not inhibiting the creation of flight plans, defeats AIFP's local time and airport look-up functions. So, I encourage you to complete the name information as updates are installed or as soon as possible afterwards.

Now, I know you are wondering about the last of the three. While developing this feature, I realized every AIFP user is a potential source of updates. AIFP saves all airport edits/update in a file named AirportList_Updates.dat. With this new feature, users can share their updates by making their AirportList_Updates.dat file available to others. A quick airport bulk update is all that's necessary for the others to permanently install those updates (which, in turn, will appear in their AirportList_Updates.dat files). So, with a little organization, it should be possible to build a comprehensive airport update file that everyone can use.

Please give the new features a try. But, remember, this is a development release and has not been fully tested. So, keep your current AIFP2.exe file handy.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
AIFP Version 2.1.26 is available.

This update incorporates several requested enhancements and a couple bug fixes. Please refer to the included Version History for details.

This update should be automatically detected and downloaded the next time you run AIFP. If not, it can be downloaded by visiting my website http://stuff4fs.com and navigating to the AIFP page.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
As always seems to happen, within hours of release of a new version, someone finds a bug that should have been discovered much earlier.

Version 2.1.26 is no exception. The substitute function has a shortcoming in that it does not automatically select the specific subset of aircraft of interest - requiring manual re-entry.

Development release 2.1.26(a), available from the AIFP page at http://stuff4fs.com corrects this problem.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It seems I did less than a perfect job in developing 2.1.26. There have been several other problem reports since releasing 2.1.26(a), all of which have been fixed.

I recommend users upgrade to Release 2.1.26(i), available as the AIFP Development Release from http://stuff4fs.com.

I'm going to let 2.1.26 "soak" a little longer before generally releasing 2.1.27.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.