1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI planes with smooth movement - possible?

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by russell, 26/3/08.

1. russell

russell

unitedstates
    I've been trying for months to get AI planes in my FSHostClient program to move smoothly, and I've about decided it isn't possible with SimConnect. I challenge anyone here, or anyone from Microsoft, to show me an example of the local user's FSX plane flying alongside a SimConnect AI plane where the AI plane is moving smoothly instead of jumping forward and backward. :)

FSHostClient is basically a SimConnect app that the user runs alongside FSX to relay data packets between FSX and an FS2004 DirectPlay (FSHost) session. So as other planes in the session move, they send their FS2004 DirectPlay "velocity" packets to FSHostClient, which then decodes the data and uses it to move an AI plane in the local user's FSX session so he can see them. I have to use AIReleaseControl() and AICreateNonATCAircraft() to make the AI plane have any chance of moving smoothly. This essentially means that the plane is in "slew" mode, or in other words, it's completely still with no movement of its own, and I have to step it forward a little bit at a time, every 25 ms, so it looks smooth. Since I get velocity packet updates from the other players a few times per second, I use their last known velocity and heading info to predict their movement along the same path between updates.

So I was wondering, is it the way I'm decoding the DirectPlay velocity packets? Is it the way I'm predicting the movement? As a test, I setup FSHostClient to update the AI plane every 25 ms like it normally does, but I changed the velocity packet updates from FS9 to only be every 5 seconds, and made it beep when it does these FS9 updates. So I see the AI plane moving with my predictions, and then every 5 seconds I hear a beep and the plane shifts slightly to the "real" position from FS9.

I recorded some video files, and uploaded them to my web site. They're really bad video quality, but it doesn't matter because they're small, and they're enough for you to see what's happening.

Ok, first, here's what it looks like when I'm just flying next to the AI plane -- you can see the AI plane jumping around a lot, and you can hear the beep every 5 seconds when the AI plane is moved to the "real" location using the FS9 packet:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/misc/fsx_fly.avi

And then the same thing but this time I'm slewing next to the AI plane (which is to the right of me this time) -- the jumping around is about the same, which you would expect:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/misc/fsx_slew.avi

Ok, now, something interesting... This video starts out flying and then after a couple of seconds I hit the pause button. Then you see the AI plane fly away from me, but notice how smooth it is!

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/misc/fsx_fly_pause.avi

And then the same thing, but slewing first and then pause -- about the same as flying and pausing:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/misc/fsx_slew_pause.avi

Now... I remember a while back, Joel DeYoung was telling me that if you're flying next to an AI plane there's a bit of an optical illusion happening. The AI plane is completely still, but then it hops forward every 25 ms. If your plane is flying next to it, then in the time between 25 ms updates, your plane is moving forward but the AI plane is still, so it appears as though the AI plane is moving backwards. Then the AI plane hops forward again at the next 25 ms update. What you end up seeing is the plane drifting smoothly backwards, then jumping forwards, then drifting back, jumping forwards, over and over. Did you notice that all the jumping around was only forward-backward? There was hardly any side-to-side jumping. But if you pause your plane, or if you're sitting on the ground watching the AI plane, then there's no optical illusion and the movement is smooth.

Now, here's a video using FS9, with FSHost controlling an AI plane. It's the same type of thing, but FSHost is doing the AI plane instead of FSHostClient, and instead of creating an AI plane directly inside FS9 like we do with FSX, it's creating the plane and then sending in velocity packets to the session every 250 ms. But watch how smooth it is:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/misc/fs9_pace_fly.avi

So why doesn't it happen in FS9? Because when we create AI planes in FS9 we tell the AI plane to start moving in a particular direction, and then give it updates every once in a while. But in between updates, the AI plane keeps moving on its own. It's exactly how the multiplayer system works in FS9 -- each plane tells everyone else their current location, heading, velocity, etc., and then the other players draw an AI plane there, and FS9 keeps it moving automatically until it gets a new velocity packet. This isn't possible in FSX, so we have to use slew mode and hop the AI plane forward a step at a time. And I think that's what's causing the optical illusion, and the jumping around.

If that's the case, then it's not a problem with my decoding of the velocity packets. You can hear the beeps in the videos every 5 seconds when it gets a new velocity packet from the other player and jumps the plane to the correct location -- there's a bit of a shift in position, but not that much, and it's a lot less with the normal 250 ms data updates. So my predictions are fairly accurate.

And it's also not my predictions causing it to look jumpy. Because when my plane is paused, the AI plane moves very smoothly as it flies away from me. I've seen this also when I did a test where the AI plane was moving slowly on the ground -- very smooth.

So the question is, how do we fix the optical illusion?

One thing I tried was to update the AI plane at the same rate that the FSX plane was updating visually. I was hoping I could get them in sync that way, so they essentially moved forward at the same times. I changed the rate at which I was getting data from FSX to use "SIMCONNECT_PERIOD_VISUAL_FRAME" (instead of SIM_FRAME, which I normally use) and then updated the AI planes each time I got a data callback, but it didn't help.

The other thing I tried was to update the AI plane much more often, like 1000 times per second instead of every 25 ms. It had only a very slight improvement, but not nearly enough to make it worthwhile to update the plane that often.

So if the local FSX user isn't moving, the AI planes look great. But when flying alongside the AI planes, they look terrible. And somehow this doesn't happen when you have two FSX planes flying together using the built-in multiplayer system -- my guess is because FSX itself is updating both the local user's plane and the AI planes and it's keeping them in sync. But I haven't found a way to do that through SimConnect.

Has anyone been able to make this work with SimConnect? So far I've talked to two other developers that have tried but have given up in disgust. I'm about at that point also, but thought I might appeal to this forum to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks,
    Russell Gilbert
  2. gggdude

gggdude

AI smoothness

I am experiencing the same issue with my SimConnect client. I was waiting to release my FSX server and client until I had the AI aircraft issue with smoothness resolved.
    I have tried many schemes to improve smoothness of AI aircraft, but they tend to bounce around a little bit which is annoying (actually really annoying) when flying in formation.
    I have not found a solution, occasionally I can get perfect smoothness, but it appears to randomly alternate between jumpiness and perfect smoothness. The best results I have obtained involve sending position packets (consisting of lat/long/alt/bph-attitude, and using Freeze event Ids, and AIReleaseControl) to the AI aircraft at a very high rate, sending packets every 10-30ms.
    This is a very BIG weakness of SimConnect. I am sure by now that ACES and Microsoft know about this issue.
    Russell stated that he has tried to sync packets with known event id's in flight sim, unfortunately this solution has not worked for me, and apparently not for Russell either.
    Several questions:
    Is there a solution? (I suspect that there is not a solution with the most recent version of SimConnect)
    Will there be a solution with the next version of SimConnect? (I hope so)
    I have created a stable FSX server and client, which is good beta software (actually great beta software so far) at the moment. However, I do not intend to release software with the aforementioned issue with AI aircraft.
    My FSX server and client represent a new paradigm for flight sim servers and clients, which does not use DirectPlay, contributing significantly to stability. With the resolution of the AI aircraft smoothness issue, I can finish developing the software, release a public beta, and after that an SDK for developing addons, as well as a custom SimConnect API that connects to FSX directly using sockets.
    So for the current moment the AI aircraft smoothness issue (which is INCREDIBLY disappointing) has placed my project in a (holding pattern, pun intended), I am going to move onto other projects for the time being.
    Resolution of this issue will allow further development of servers and clients for FSX, expanding the multiplayer experience beyond GameSpy and LAN sessions with FSX's built in multiplayer ability.
    Ok Microsoft and ACES how about releasing a multiplayer SDK, its about time.
    Thx
    Last edited: 26/3/08
  3. Paavo

Paavo

estonia
    Have you tried sending xyz velocity, rotation velocity and acceleration values along with pbh/lla?

See:
    STRUCT BODY VELOCITY
    STRUCT BODY ROTATION VELOCITY
    STRUCT WORLD ACCELERATION
    Last edited: 26/3/08
  4. Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson

unitedkingdom
    This does sound a lot like TCP/IP buffering latency, a typical queueing phenomenon -- are you using the SP2 / Acceleration version of SimConnect, locally (i.e. on the same PC as FSX)? If you are not manifestly linking to the SP2 version, the FSX <-> SimConnect exchanges will still be via TCP/IP, which I think virtually guarantees a variable latency. This is true even if you have SP2/Acceleration installed.

With SP2's SimConnect named pipes are used for the connection, which are implemented locally by shared memory, much like FSUIPC's methods (and DDE). I still think there will be some latency, but it should be a lot more consistent -- variability is the enemy of smoothness.

Regards

Pete
  5. gggdude

gggdude

AI object control and smoothness

Yes I believe that I speculated about the TCP/IP stack latency in a previous post.... http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=60555
    there was no replies to it though :confused:
    Responses to Dowsons questions: (thx for the reply btw)
    Yes the client is local, in addition my client does NOT use any SimConnect API, as I stated previously. I started this project quite some time before SP2 was released. I built my own application that talks directly to FSX via TCP socket, the SimConnect API is not referened anywhere in my project. That is actually something I considered releasing, the method I use to communicate with FSX without using SimConnect, however it is easy enough to figure out, with the exceptions of the SendId's for packet types, that unfortunately is not documented in the SDK, however it is easily extracted using a packet sniffer.

Some more background information: I have tried to solve this AI aircraft smoothness issue, by using the SimConnect API with C++/Win32, managed SimConnect API with C#/.Net, as well as my own application communicating directly to FSX using sockets. I get the best performance using my own application that communicates with FSX directly.

Well I am willing to experiment with named pipes (I am familiar with how they function and have experimented with them before), as I built my own SimConnect API based on sockets, perhaps I can do that same with named pipes. I will post results when I finish working on it.

What is the name of the pipe that FSX uses? (Would be nice to know)
    This would be useful for those of use that want to communicate with the FSX pipe directly without the SimConnect API
    Can the name of the pipe be specified? (This is the best option!)
    Is there a way to enumerate the pipes owned by a process? (I have not been able to find a way to do this, have not worked with pipes very much, messed around with them for communication between threads once)
    Will a syncing mechanism ever be incorporated into FSX for AI Objects?
    Will a multiplayer SDK ever be released for FSX? (the lack of an MP SDK and perhaps the circumstances surrounding the FS2004 SDK, suggest to me that there is resistance to the idea of developers developing multiplayer servers and clients, hmmmmmmm)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    G

Thx,
    G
    Last edited: 27/3/08
  6. Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson

unitedkingdom
    So, isn't it rather disadvantaged in that it cannot use the local named pipes interface which was implemented in the latest SimConnect version. It seems to me that TCP/IP (even in its less checked non-guaranteed UDP variant) is a very heavy protocol to use between two programs on the same PC -- the red tape and multiple layering is needed and valid for the Internet, but such a waste on the same PC. The named pipe mechanism uses shared memory techniques (as I see you know).

But is there any point? I don't see any advantage. You bypass the efficient part, the "stubs" provided by the DLL, and use the inefficient part, the TCP/IP protocols.

Well, certainly that would be much more interesting. In FSUIPC I notice a significant improvement in performance with heavy loads with the named pipes compared with TCP/IP -- and with no noticeable variation in latency (though I've not really tackled the latter scientifically I'm afraid).

As to your questions about pipe implementation, I'm sorry, I don't have answers. I've never used named pipes myself, only the SimConnect interface.

Good questions. I think the answer is "no" to any changes whatsoever before FSXI -- and I don't think anyone knows what's going to be done for that yet. Maybe some stuff will eventually fall out from "solution provider" requirements of ESP, but not before FSXI I think. Meanwhile you should be making your needs loud and clear near Aces' folks.

Regards

Pete
  7. russell

russell

unitedstates
    I could be wrong about this (I often am), but my feeling is that this isn't so much a performance problem as it is a syncing problem.

It seems to me that there are two issues to solve here...

1) Syncing the frame rate.

If the local user's plane is "flying" (or, the graphics are being updated) at 30 fps and the AI plane is being updated at 10 fps, then the local plane is moving 3 times for each 1 time the AI plane moves. So if the local plane moves forward a frame and the AI plane stays still, the AI plane will appear to be moving backward. Then when the AI plane moves, it will hop forward. So you see two frames of the AI plane smoothly moving backward followed by 1 frame of it hopping forward. Do I have that right?

If so, then it seems to me the solution is to sync the two up so it's a one-to-one frame movement. Each time one moves, the other moves as well. I attempted to do that with the VISUAL_FRAME updates, and then calling the function that moves the AI plane each time I got a callback, but it didn't help.

I did verify, with log statements, that the callback is being called at about the same rate as the current visual frame rate in the game. So if the game is locked at 20 fps, I get the callback roughly 20 times per second, which is good. But I think there's another issue...

2) The time elapsed between visual frame updates of the local plane.

As an extreme example, if the sim was displaying at 1 fps, then every 1 second it'd update the visual frame and then call my callback, which would update the AI plane. And if my function checked the clock time each time it was called, it would hopefully see that it was exactly 1 second between calls.

But what if the sim was busy, and the time between calls to the callback function was varying? So maybe it was displaying the visual frame at about 1 time per second, but one time my function saw a delay of 0.9 seconds, then 1.2 seconds, then 0.8 seconds, etc. Right now my function checks the clock time each time it's called, to determine how much time has elapsed since the last time it moved the AI plane. Since it knows the AI plane's current speed, it can guess how much it would have moved in that elapsed time and move it forward a bit.

Ok, so you might be thinking that it's still ok, because if the time between callbacks varies a bit, it'll be noticed by the AI function when it checks the clock each time. Ahh, but what if the sim updated the frame and then waited just a bit before calling my callback function? Let's call that the post-processing time, before it has a chance to call me. And what if that post-processing time varied? So when it updated the local plane, it might have moved it forward based on an exact 1.0 second elapsed time since the last update, but by the time my function was called, it was 1.5 seconds. So my function moves the AI plane based on a 1.5 second elapsed time. If the two planes are flying at exactly the same speed side-by-side, the AI plane moved further forward than the local plane did. Over time the plane movements would even out and they'd still stay roughly side-by-side, but I think you'd see this movement as the AI plane shifting forward and backward. Does this sound right?

If so, the solution would seem to be that we'd need a game counter, which was updated each time the sim updated the visual frame. So if it updated it at millisecond 2000, it'd send that value to us, even if it took until 2050 before it could call us. That way we'd be able to compare it to the previous time, which might have been 1000, and we know it was a 1000 ms lapse between visual frame updates of the local plane, and we could move forward based on a 1000 ms lapse instead of 1050. This would be different from the clock time that my AI function is currently checking, because the time FSX sent to my function would be the time it did its visual frame update, not the time the callback was eventually called. However, I couldn't find a game counter in the docs -- maybe someone else has seen one?

Russell
    Last edited: 27/3/08
  8. gggdude

gggdude

Hmmm,

There are plenty of advantages, or else I would not have spent the time to develop my own API, perhaps at some point I will start a thread discussing in detail why I decided to implement my own SimConnect variant, and refute the reasons listed to not build such a project.
    Several quick points, I started development of my own API before the pipes support was released for SimConnect, almost immediately after the release of FSX. One of the primary reasons I did so was because of the issues I described regarding AI smoothness, it initially started as an experiment to see if SimConnect contributed to that problem. I was VERY pleased with my API, so I decided to develope it further, and eventually release it to those that wanted a SimConnect alternative.
    I develope for both .net and win32. I was very disappointed with the managed SimConnect API, for many reasons, and that also contributed to my choice to develope a SimConnect alternative.
    In addition, my own API better suited my multi-threading requirements, (the primary reason)

That has already been done, If you checked the 'Wishlist' section of the forum,in the past, this problem was posted by myself, the purpose of that forum board was to make ACES aware of issues and desires for FSX. I discussed the synching problem and TCP/IP latency at that time. There was feedback on that thread, but the forum administration did not approve, so I edited the post and removed most of the content present in my posts. http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8144
    That is the link where the discussion occured, I heavily edited my posts and removed most of my discussion, but you can see responses in quotes by others.

I appeal to the developers here because we have a better chance to solve these issues using eachother as resources. This also builds our case to have something addressed in SimConnect/FSX if more of us desire a specific feature or change. It is now clear that there is more than one person with this issue.

Anyone have luck writing to ACES directly? hmmm

So back to what matters.
    Hopefully we will solve the AI aircraft smoothness issue. It is essential. I truely have great software that is contingent upon solving that very issue. I am unwilling to devote further significant time to developing software unless the AI smoothness issue can be resolved.
    I will delve into the pipes alternative and see what happends.
    As always I appreciate constructive ideas and suggestions.
    In my opinion FSX needs a synching mechanism just for this purpose, that would seem to be the best solution.

One other question:
    I have never developed using FSUIPC, does it support AI object creation and manipulation? If it does, does it do so using SimConnect? If it does not, will it ever have these abilities?
    I would challenge you and anyone else to throw some code up here that solves the AI aircraft issue, I think many of us would be eternally grateful.

Thx for your feedback.

btw found this on an forum talking about FSUIPC (INTERESTING PIPE INFORMATION) web page http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=68523

looks like the name of the fsx pipe, hmmm
    might be very useful for working with pipes in FSX

Disadvantaged? Never was, now it just gets better.

If that is indeed the name of the pipe and using that pipe contributes significantly to smoothness of AI aircraft, assuming it is possible to communicate with fsx using that pipe from a custom fsx client not using SimConnect, then I will be releasing a rocking SimConnect variant, thus a new option could enter the arena for developing FSX addons, maybe call it GSXIPC or GIPC
    Will work with pipes and post my progress here
    First I will just build a standard simconnect app and see if updating ai aircraft positions is smoother
    Next I will build a custom app that is not based on simconnect and see if it can communicate with fsx using the named pipe
    Then I will finish the construction of my fsx server and client and release them for beta testing
    If the pipe concept works i will build and release a custom api using pipes for building addons and interfacing with fsx

Thank you,

Gabriel LePage
    Last edited: 28/3/08
  9. Manuel Ambulo

Manuel Ambulo

panama
    Nice Thread, Russell, gggDude, Pete, surely, its very interesting discussion.

What i think is that SimConnect or FSX should allow us to set the velocity data, it would (i think), solve the problem of the latency, because FSX would do the same role as FS9 did for multiplayer, that you send the velocity data to FS and itself would move the plane and do it's own predictions, avoiding problems with sync and others problems. Also avoiding the use of too much CPU time by doing predictions every times per second and just let FS do it's own prediccion. BUT, unfourtanely (sorry by my bad english...), as we know the velocity variables (in SimConnect) as not writtable, that means that we cannt send values of velocity to the AI objects, because FS its doing its own calculations, but it should work if we use AIRelease function, BUT!, unfourtanely, also doesnt works under AIRelease.

The limitation that i see in AIRelease is that most of the animations of the plane are lost, as Russell says, its like a slew state for the AI object, things like lights, flaps, sound of engines, and animation of gears are losts, and from my point of view, that is not good, hehehe.

Hope ACES could fix this AI smooth issue....:(

Manuel Ambulo
  10. gggdude

gggdude

Continuing on....

I agree Manuel, if there was more built in ability to control various aspects of AI aircraft that would be great.
    I wonder why the changes implemented in FSX were so drastic when it comes to AI aircraft/multiplayer. I also wonder what built in functions exist for multiplayer abilities that were not exposed in SimConnect, to developers. Flight Simulator has never really made it easy to develop multiplayer servers and clients, there are many aspects of Flight Simulator that are still obfuscated. Maybe the challenge really lies with ACES and company to make FSX a little more developer friendly and open source. I have been involved in several discussions in this forum and with other developers that attempt to overcome limitations put in place by the creators of Flight Simulator, i.e. the current AI control issue, BGL's and extracting nav info, list could go on. Well we will do what we always do and persevere and come up with our own solutions.

I am working on the pipes solution over the next week. I will post my results, but I am going to move the discussion of my project to my forum. I will continue to participate with this and other threads on this forum, but will not post about my projects here.

Thanks, all who participated in this thread, lets find that solution.

Gabe
  11. Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson

unitedkingdom
    Yes, I can understand the disappointment with Simconnect for non-native C/C++ programming.

Okay, though I'm no aware of any threading issues. I too use multiple threads, where these are useful. Though because of the way FS works, when you run inside the process, as FSUIPC does, you tend to have to keep many things in the main FS thread for synchronisation purposes.

No.

No, I don't really intend to elaborate into new areas not previously covered, except where this is merely an extension of its original purpose. SimConnect is supposed to be the interface for the future and we need to try to force that into doing the job properly.

FSUIPC's interface is there for backward compatibility, not for new applications. I'm surprised is has been so popular, but I put that down to the slow appearance of new applications specifically written for FSX

Oh, the SimConnect log. Yes. Sorry, I clean forgot about that -- SimConnect always logs the pipe name:

Server: Scope=local, Protocol=Pipe, Name=\\.\pipe\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimConnect, MaxClients=64

I suspect there's a parameter you can use in the SimConnect.xml/cfg files too, to set the name. Maybe even instead of the UDP port. I don't know.

Okay. I'll be most interested in the results! I hope it helps!

Regards

Pete
  12. davidt

davidt

canada
    this is a great topic of discussion. i've not had a chance to read it all yet, but i'm replying so i'll get email notifications on further replies.
  13. gggdude

gggdude

Pipes

I have had great success building a client that uses named pipes that DOES NOT use SimConnect, I experimented today with good results. I am exploring this as a potential method to improve AI aircraft smoothness
    My full post is at http://gsxlive.net/adminforum/index.php?topic=120.0
    I will soon be testing to see how much named pipes improves ai aircraft performance.

Moving my discussions to my forum, sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited: 29/3/08
  14. Manuel Ambulo

Manuel Ambulo

panama
    Great! gggDude!, im very positive, i really hope that pipes could be the answer or solution for this AI aircraft smoothness problem....

Manuel
  15. gggdude

gggdude

Pipe

me to!!! we shall see
    follow results of testing on my forum if you want
  16. Manuel Ambulo

Manuel Ambulo

panama
    Thanks gggDude, i will follow your progress in your forum's site. :)

Best Regards,

Manuel
  17. gggdude

gggdude

Ai

Alright, I only have one day of vacation left. Thanks for being patient. I was out of state for the first week of vacation and back at home for the second week, but doing family stuff.
    Starting Tuesday I will dive back into the AI smoothness issue with full vigor.
    I have been working with named pipes, and that is where I left off before I went of vacation.
    I had really hoped to have some results before I left for vacation, but hey, I decided I needed a break from programming and the whole AI smoothness issue. Perhaps to gain a new perspective on the issue.
    I hope to be able to post something here this week.
    Thx
    I will post on my forum
  18. Capn_Geoff

Capn_Geoff

I'm very interested in smooth animation - as I'm currently injecting aircraft in FS9 using FSInn. At one point about two years ago that was smooth as silk, but the latest version of (FSInn) is very jumpy - and increasing updates to smooth out the jerks has been fruitless.

I'm thinking about the future, though, and while my VA (VUSN.org) is not likely to adopt FSX - it may use FSXI and I want to be prepared. I did run an experiment using FSInn and FSX and we were able to land a plane on a moving carrier (the carrier was controlled by my simulation), but the carrier was extremely jerky.

I had thought about using SimConnect for direct connection, but after having read the above info, it doesn't sound like that would work. When you have a carrier moving and a plane landing, they must be updating smoothly together.

I went to gggdude's link, but I get a 404 error. Is there a more current link?

The lure of FSX with movable carriers and smoke effects, and being able to see landing gear movement, etc is fantastic, but I need a simple API/SDK interface so I can simply give the simulation generated platforms position and state as often as necessary, but smoothness is now especially important.
  19. gggdude

gggdude

Rgr

Response to Capn_Geoff
    The link is currently broken, and I apologize for that.
    I own an internet server, and host FSHost, TS, webpages, FTP, a bunch of stuff.
    I recently upgraded my server to win server 2k8 64 bit, rather I am trialling the os, but I believe that it is the os I will finally go with.
    Over the last few weeks I have been working on the server and putting services back online, but the customers got first dibs, over my free stuff, i.e. my personal flight sim material.
    So I have not put the forum you are trying to access back online yet.
    But I can answer your question here with regards to the material you would have seen.
    Unfortunately, I have not found a solution to the AI aircraft smootheness issue. I have made some progress but obviously have not posted it yet.
    The fact is that, I have not achieved satisfactory smoothness, even using a named pipe to connect to FSX. There is simply no way to achieve update sync to AI objects.
    My best results were achieved using, a named pipe connection, using my own client (my client did NOT use the simconnect libraries or client). Although the results were better than using the simconnect library based clients, and sockets, it is not good enough.
    I can share with you what I did achieve with you.
    In fact, there was only a marginal improvement useing pipes vs. sockets.
    The issue totally lies with being able to sync AI objects, which is something that is missing from simconnect.
    No solution exists that I aware of. I have spent COUNTLESS hours working on a solution, as well as some of the others guys posting in this thread.
    So this means that I will delay the development of my server and client for the time being, because what I would offer would probably not be an improvment at this time, although there would be a significant improvement in network and connection stability. I will shelve this project for now.
    However, I have started work on a navigator/radar/flight planning program for FSX. It will accept both FSX and any user connected to FSHost.
    Most recently I have been working with my custom protocol that sits on top of tcp and udp, for communication between my server and clients applications.
    So my current project is navigation software for flight sim.
    I extracted all the navaids in fsx for this project, so it is well underway.
    I would much rather build a client and server software for flight sim however, kind of my dream project!
    Questions? Comments? send me a personal message via this forum.
    My regular forum on my website will be back online soon, sorry for the incovenience.
    G
    Last edited: 2/6/08
  20. Geoff_D

Geoff_D

unitedstates
    Maybe it is time to ask Peter Dowson, if he will once again, rise up and help the FS Community work around this problem. :rolleyes:

I know it goes against all what Simconnect was meant to be, but maybe if Simconnect cannot achieve satisfactory "near real time" operation, then some of the direct memory access methods that FSUIPC use to use, may be the answer. :stirthepo

I believe that most of the original FSUIPC functions, now internally use Simconnect.:confused:

Before Simconnect, with direct memory access, the AI smoothness was not a problem.:eek:

So maybe the current FSUIPC can "add" some additional functions, that are needed for AI control, that use to be Direct Memory access, and make these "alternative FAST functions" to the now converted to Simconnect functions.

Hopefully, there could be dropped at some later time, when & "IF" , Simconnect provides better real time service of the functions needed for AI control.:D

While I realize it is a PITA to seek out these locations, for each version of FSX, it would seem we are stuck with the current versions of FSX (and Simconnect) for some time, so the investment in time & effort to add these alternative "FAST" function might we worth while. ?

Just a thought ... otherwise I don't see much more progress here till FSX1, and even then, nothing there is guaranteed.
    Last edited: 2/6/08