1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI Sound engine

Discussion in 'Sound' started by statesman, 12/6/07.

1. statesman

statesman

Hello all.

I am currently using fs9 for both flying and "ai spotting", more of the latter recently. I understand that FS9 is very limited in the "AI sound" department, compared to FSX. My question is this:

What file, or what part of a file tells the sim to play a single prop sound for the Cessna, and play the ai/xai_lgjet for a 747?

In my FS9, I dont use any propellor driven A/C, so potentially have the ability to have 5 different sounding jets.

xai_lgjetxx.wav
    xai_smjetxx.wav
    xai_singlepropxx.wav
    xai_twinpropxx.wav
    xai_twinturboxx.wav

I have looked closely at the sound.cfg file and the .air file and can find no reference to the type of sound allocated to any given aircraft by the sim/ai sound engine.

If I can find out this information,I would assume it would be possible to have the 5 different sounding jets, like Conways, JT series, GE turbos, Speys etc which could then be matched to the aircraft as I already have them recorded.

I tried the obvious by putting the .air file from a C172 onto a 737, hoping to hear the Cessna ai sound, but alas, the sim still played the small jet ai sound, so I carnt see the reference being in the .air file.

Hope a forum member may be able to shed some light on this.

Many thanks for reading. Chris
  2. Paavo

Paavo

estonia
    The AI sounds are hard-coded into sound.dll, if I remember it correctly. Which sound file is used may depend on the value of engine type in aircraft.cfg.
  3. statesman

statesman

Thx Paavo for the reply. I guess it is buried in the aircraft.cfg file somewhere, was just hoping someone might know just which entry the ai sound engine looks at in that file. I think we can safely discount the .air file tho.