1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI Sound engine

Discussion in 'Sound' started by statesman, 12 Jun 2007.

1. statesman

statesman

Hello all.

I am currently using fs9 for both flying and "ai spotting", more of the latter recently. I understand that FS9 is very limited in the "AI sound" department, compared to FSX. My question is this:

What file, or what part of a file tells the sim to play a single prop sound for the Cessna, and play the ai/xai_lgjet for a 747?

In my FS9, I dont use any propellor driven A/C, so potentially have the ability to have 5 different sounding jets.

xai_lgjetxx.wav
    xai_smjetxx.wav
    xai_singlepropxx.wav
    xai_twinpropxx.wav
    xai_twinturboxx.wav

I have looked closely at the sound.cfg file and the .air file and can find no reference to the type of sound allocated to any given aircraft by the sim/ai sound engine.

If I can find out this information,I would assume it would be possible to have the 5 different sounding jets, like Conways, JT series, GE turbos, Speys etc which could then be matched to the aircraft as I already have them recorded.

I tried the obvious by putting the .air file from a C172 onto a 737, hoping to hear the Cessna ai sound, but alas, the sim still played the small jet ai sound, so I carnt see the reference being in the .air file.

Hope a forum member may be able to shed some light on this.

Many thanks for reading. Chris
  2. Paavo

Paavo

estonia
    The AI sounds are hard-coded into sound.dll, if I remember it correctly. Which sound file is used may depend on the value of engine type in aircraft.cfg.
  3. statesman

statesman

Thx Paavo for the reply. I guess it is buried in the aircraft.cfg file somewhere, was just hoping someone might know just which entry the ai sound engine looks at in that file. I think we can safely discount the .air file tho.