• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

AIFP ignores .cfg file

Country
germany
Hello all

I know I should be digging deeper into finding the answer but I've RTFM and used a few searches here but can't find a solution, let alone sb talking about my problem.

When in open AIFP via .zip file I get the logo and season info shown in the top left section of the window, no problem. However, once I unzip and open as .txt file, the info is lost.

It's particularly time-consuming to substitute aircraft names and I have to use the same search for each and every a/c., e.g. a large fleet such as LH, because the 'seek' command in the [main] section is similarly ignored.

Why is opening the flightplan as .txt. ignoring the .cfg and not as .zip?

Best and have a nice NYE!
Chris

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi, Chris. The .txt load is a general function. The .zip opening is custom designed for AIG archives. But, to answer your specific question, nobody has asked for that feature (i.e., use of the .cfg file with .txt file sets). I guess most people download/install all the required aircraft .zips in the first setting.

Without taking a close look at the code, I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to use the .cfg file with .txt filesets.

I'm busy on another project right now, so it will be a while before I have an opportunity to assess the situation. I suggest you post in the AIG forum and ask how others handle the situation.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Chris, I've taken a "quick peek" at the code. It seems easy enough to use an aifp.cfg file that exists in the same folder as a file set. But, it would only work if you maintain a separate folder for each flightplan file set. If you had, for example, two filesets in the same folder (which I suspect is not unusual), you could only have one aifp.fg file. There is no current way to determine to which file set the .cfg file belonged.

Had your suggestion been raised seven or eight years ago when the feature was being designed, it could easily have been accommodated. But to make it work now - not so much.

Don

Country
germany
Hello gadgets

Many thanks for your prompt reply! At least I can now be sure it's not me getting it all wrong.

I indeed open the .zip first and substitute a/c names for the ones that I actually own but when I come across a new plane, I save the flightplans and install the plane first, then continue from the .txt file folder - I think that's how it happened. The incorporation of the .cfg files does come in handy when browsing through hundreds of ai planes. Without the search term defined by said .cfg it just adds a few more steps to the process and becomes a nuisance with larger carriers. A luxury problem, really. Still a very useful tool!

Many thanks and enjoy NYE! Greets from Germany