1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aircraft Designers Speak up now ;)

Discussion in 'Other' started by nickw, 24/9/06.

1. nickw

nickw Administrator Staff Member

ireland
    If we are missing forum subsections that will be helpful to you then please let us know as we will add anything that is missing!
  2. Firestriker

Firestriker

us-oregon
    Just a thought Nick, but you might want a separate section for animations.

Lou
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Thanks Lou, we'll keep it in mind. I guess we first have to see how much questions and traffic will be in the aircraft section. If there are a lot of modelling questions for example, it might make sense to add GMax and FSDS subsectiosn to keep discussions clear. But an animation subsection might also be useful in that case.
  4. Frantish

Frantish

Resources for aircraft and perforamce section.

Hello,

Excellent site, I hope programmers use it.

My suggestion is a section for finding performance data and images on aircraft. Nothing is worse then a Prop airplane that flies like a jet fighter.

It can also include basic NACA wing data, so if a particular aircraft had that type, the data is ready to be dropped in.
  5. Don H

Don H

us-iowa
    A definite must since there are so many differences. I know I have so many questions about FSDS3 that are needed by the beginner, that just are not covered, which, I am sure, will seem like dumb questions, to those who have years of experience. But... as they say, the dumbest question, is the one not asked... :eek:
  6. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico

I would recommend against having separate FSDS and gmax sections, if only because many of the problems people have are not so much program-specific as they are dealing with makemdl.exe - (remember, gmax can easily overpower makemdl.exe). In the cases where it is porgram specific, I've found that seeing how it's done in gmax, leads me down a (tortuous) path to doing it in FSDS (you don't even want to think about my FSDS lofting technique).
  7. paul_h

paul_h

ireland
    first message

Hi all

As a person who has started a lot of projects and finished only a few, one of the big things in aircraft design is a resource centre.

By that I mean the gathering of data such as dimensions (even the obscure ones) aircraft performance and aircraft manuals.

My method of design is labour intensive in that I buy plastic models and use Vernier callipers and a micrometer to measure lengths etc.

But the resource centre should also link to the design ergonomics of GMAX FSDS etc.

Most of my knowledge has been aquired from trawling the net finding little titbits here and there. I wish you well with you're new site, and hope that it can bring together all the facets that this hobby has to offer.

The cynic in me knows that knowledge is power and the payware sector will always try and hold on to the cutting edge. God knows being drip fed data from the SDKs and the occasional MS guru insight is frustrating. I can only hope that the new FSX will herald a fundamental change....

I have read some of the debate on payware and freeware on a different topic in the forum. I have done both, and before you assume, my last project was freeware; I reckon I'd like to give back as I have taken. From a pure enjoyment point of view I think freeware is better because you don't feel you are under the gun. Designing something to meet a deadline can be a chore.

Once again thankyou for the site.
  8. Brian Franklin

Brian Franklin

unitedkingdom
    Hi all, Brian Franklin here. I'd like to say I welcome a site like this. There are so many FS related site both with and without a technical bias. Some are great sites, some good and some no so good. However many of them seem to take their own spin on subjects. I think that a site for designers should be able to concentrate on the techy aspects alone.

I'd like to see somewhere where designers can get down and dirty with the nuts & bolts of project problems, somewhere we can go to to thrash through problems and somewhere we can share the pearls of wisdom of out chosen hobby.

Brian
  9. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Brian,

Well, that is exactly what we hope to be here :). A place where designers can discuss their design problems in a friendly way with each other.
  10. Bugstomper

Bugstomper

italy
    I'd like to suggest and XML aircraft parts section as well, maybe FSX specific :)
  11. adevins

adevins

ireland
    I second that, would be very handy.
  12. Nodd

Nodd

us-connecticut
    If you're fixing to make a separate FSDS & Gmax section, don't forget 3DS Max also. Maybe Gmax/3DSmax as they're somewhat simular.