1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aircraft Modelling and FS X

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by VulcanB2, 19/10/06.

1. VulcanB2

VulcanB2

unitedkingdom
    Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted here - hope everyone is well! Like the new site! :)

I'm a little behind the FS X curve right now, and now needing to develop aircraft models for FS X. What do I require to create and export models for FS X presently? Can I use gMax? Are there any SDKs available yet?

Thanks! :)

Best regards,
    Robin.
  2. joaogodinho

joaogodinho

portugal
    Hi!

From what I know (which isn't too much), gmax is over. Now you use 3ds Max to design, export as .X and convert it to .mdl. I think it's something like that... :p ;)

About the SDK's, I think they're only available in the FSX Deluxe dvd's. At least I haven't found them in the internet.
  3. joaogodinho

joaogodinho

portugal
  4. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico
    RIGHT NOW #1: You need 3DSMax 7/8 and the SDKs that come with the Deluxe version.

gmax is NOT dead. You just cannot, *at this time*, create a true FS-X model. The ACES team are working on the gmax plugns/new gamepack.

Any other modelling program used will have to have either a converter made for for the generated x-file, or somehow brought into 3DSMax (now) or gmax(later) for the appropriate conversion.

RIGHT NOW #2:
    As long as you don't try to use one of the new FS-X specific animation tags, panel events, etc etc., I believe that by taking advantage of the Aircraft Container SDK you can create a very interesting FS-X only hybrid.

Consider that:
    You can use the main texture (Texture) folder to hold ALL the textures, and then only the variant specific textures in the variant texture fodlers (Texture.n), while pointing the 'fallback' directory to the main Texture folder.

Consider that: you can create a highly detailed exterior model and a separate interior model. You can have different external models sharing one interior model, on exterior sharing several interior models....

It's not easy, at first glance, but a good read of the aircraft container SDK brings out many possibilities - and no one but you will now it's a fancy, dressed up FS9 model! Do it right and you can probably fool Owen!! :D
  5. joaogodinho

joaogodinho

portugal
    That helped me too, thanks :p ;)
  6. VulcanB2

VulcanB2

unitedkingdom
    Hi,

I had to read that twice before I got it :p but I understand what you are saying now! :D

Thanks for the info!! It doesn't sound like it should be too difficult to convert to the new ways. :)

Best regards,
    Robin.