1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aircraft scan

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by kencr, 11/6/08.

1. kencr

kencr

scotland
    I've only recently installed AI Flight Planner, and haven't explored all its facilities yet, but I have a few questions (suggestions you might say).

It would be useful, especially for a new user, to be able to scan the Aircraft folder of FS and build up a new Aircraft file containing the details of the AI aircraft already in the system.

This would be particularly useful when adding batches of aircraft variants, where manually adding to the aircraft and assigning new aircraft numbers would be pretty time-consuming, and prone to errors (as the saying goes, to err is human). Although a full scan of the Aircraft folder would take some time, it would only need to be done to initially create the Aircraft, and after that only occasionally when adding significant numbers of new aircraft. At other times the manual method would be sufficient, and would probably take less time.

Would it be possible to add such a facility to AIFP ??

P.S. I have a couple of other questions, but I'll use a new thread for those, I don't want to make this one too large.
    Last edited: 12/6/08
  2. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    Thanks for the suggestion, kencr. It would certainly be possible and should not be that difficult to implement. However, I would think the ability to select aircraft folders for scanning would be especially helpful - and necessary given that, in FSX, aircraft can be stored in any folder.

I'll consider it for the next major release.

Don
  3. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    All aircraft folders are specified in the fsx.cfg under SimObjectPaths.

George
  4. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Thanks, George.
  5. irocx

irocx

us-minnesota
    Has this feature been implemented? Instead of starting a new topic, I'll post here.

I have finally gotten around to making some home traffic with the planner and have been trying to build an aircraft list. When I use the planner to scan my AI aircraft folder it does so and I save the list, but the drop down menu is blank - anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

If I load an old traffic bgl aircraft appear in the drop down menu.

Thanks for the help.

Kendall
  6. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    You're not doing anything wrong. All you have to do is load the newly-saved aircraft file into the Aircraft List using the Aircraft/Load New Aircraft File.

I probably should have done this for you but, but I don't remember now why I didn't.

Don
  7. irocx

irocx

us-minnesota

Don, thanks for the swift reply! Something must be going awry because the AC appearing in the list that I save, don't appear in the drop-down menu. When I "load a new aircraft file" I have one choice - "Aircraft_Last" and that does not seem to reflect the updates. That file shows only AC from the bgl I loaded. I've tried appending that file also, with no results. I'd like to start fresh.

I have tried deleting that file and building a new one but now no aircraft list is available when I try to load one.
    I am using Vista64 btw.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    Last edited: 16/11/08
  8. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    You're right; something is going awry. I'll take a look.

In the meantime, it appears that if you delete your old aircraft_Last.txt and then scan your aircraft folders, the new aircraft list will be saved to Aircraft_Last.txt. which you can then load.

I'll get a fix out ASAP.

Don
  9. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    irocx, I have found and fixed the problem. However, I am waiting for further information from another user on another problem before formally re-releasing AIFP.

In the meantime, if you download this file and overwrite your current "AI Flight Planner.exe" with it, you should be able to create new aircraft lists.

Don
  10. irocx

irocx

us-minnesota

WOW, thanks Don! The new version did create a new file and includes all AC. FYI, I tried drilling down and selecting just the AC I wanted to shorten the list, but it again came up empty. I also was getting a not responding message in the scan AC window, but if you wait it out, the new AC list is created. Thanks again.

Kendall
  11. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Before saving the list, you can (or should be able to) delete one or more items from the list. That will be a lot faster than selecting individual folders - which can be very slow - shouldn't be slow enough to cause a "not responding", but slow. I guess I'll have to putin so "doevents" to give the operating system a chance "to breathe".

Don
  12. fortinero

fortinero

argentina
    When trying to search this file from AIFP , didnt appear it neither in the automatic or manualy with the select option, but i can see in the explorer.

Thks.
    Last edited: 19/4/09
  13. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    I'm going to need more information before I can be of any help with this issue - like what AIFP function were you trying to perform, what file were you "searching" and to which "select" option are you referring.

Don
  14. fortinero

fortinero

argentina
    I'm now not in my house , but it was when i try to select the aircraft to use as AI , if i chose to use the fs9 aircraft appears all but when i chose the fsx option it appears that it cant find the fsx.cfg file where it had to be the root to the ai planes files.
    The screen is the one that had a group of 3 radio buttons ()FS9 ()FSX () Select.
    When i return home i will try to get a screen shot.

Thks
  15. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    No need to send a screen shot. I understand what you are trying to do.

For some reason, AI Flight Planner can't find your FSX.cfg file. Where is it located? If you use the select button you should be able to see it - but you said below you couldn't. That suggests you don't have access to that folder. AIFP won't display a file/folder the operating system says:
    is
    • is hidden,
    • is a system file
    • you don't have privileges (but that should have thrown an exception)

Is it hidden? If so, try unhiding it. Also, you ighyt try running with administrator privileges.

Don