1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airport altitude again

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by JonPatch, 23/1/08.

1. JonPatch

JonPatch Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    How do I change the airport altitude? Or change the ARP?

EDIT: ah, I see from the manual I can't change the altitude. Oops.

And a feature request for the future: start locations and runways should all have their own altitudes, defaulting of course to the airport altitude...

Jon
    Last edited: 23/1/08
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    you are correct there. you can change anything about the airport via the ARP properties except the altitude. That is because changing the ARP altitude in the AFD file will not actually change anything. It can be done but it requires a special file that is loaded before the default bgl file containing the stock airport

I thought they did. Are you saying you would like to change them Jon? If so that is something that is in the Pro Edition
  3. JonPatch

ca-britishcolumbia
    Yup, Jon, that's what I meant. Sounds great that'll be in the Pro edition, thanks.

Jon
  4. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    Jon

Q1: I looked all over ADE to find out how to move the ARP. I sheepishly ask, where is this dialog?

Q2: Clicking and dragging on the ARP seems to not work. Why is this?
  5. JonPatch

ca-britishcolumbia
    Hi Rhett, as I understand it, ADE home edition does not allow you to edit the ARP.

What I've done is to decompile the BGL with BGLAnalyzeX, modify the XML with the correct altitude, and recompile with BGLComp. I then loaded this BGL into ADE and saved the ADE file.

Further if I change the airport elevation, I have to put a copy of the compiled BGL that contains just the <Airport> declaration in Scenery\World\Scenery.

EDIT: and if forgot to add: when I had that XML open, I manually corrected the altitudes for start locations and runways.

Jon
  6. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Jon is correct you can't move the ARP in the Home Edition. You can make changes to the XML as suggested or use SDE Test App which is a bit more friendly than working with pure XML. Automating the process to change airport altitude is part of the Pro functionality.
  7. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    Thank you. I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything.