1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airport textures

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by Free_Scenery, 27/5/09.

1. Free_Scenery

Free_Scenery

Hello,

I want to make nicer airports than the default airports from Flight Simulator 2004 and to do that I also want to change the airport ground textures, like nicer apron textures, taxiways, runways (+ markings) etc.

To give you an example of what I mean, here is a link to a screenshot of Cloud 9 Amsterdam.
    http://www.skycontrol.net/UserFiles/Image/FSHardSoftware_img/200808/200808-cloud9-schiphol-3.jpg
    As you can see there are red with white lines and the apron looks a bit more realistic with those textures.
    To show you an other example, here is Cloud 9 KLAX. http://www.fsvisions.nl/site/images/stories/reviews/Review KLAX/image020.jpg

It's that kind of details I also would like to add to give a more realistic look. Now my question is
    - What programm should I use to give it that more realistic look?

I've looked around on this forum and in the wiki to see if I could find the answer, but I couldn't find any so sorry if I overlooked it.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited: 27/5/09
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

The most important ingredient for that kind of textures is some artistic skills and good use of a graphics program to edit the textures.

Besides that you will probably have to place custom ground polygons to place these textures and markings on. Most people use GMax and the FS2002 gamepack for that. If you look around the forum you will see a lot of questions about it. There is also a good tutorial by Bill Womack about this.
  3. Free_Scenery

Free_Scenery

Thanks again for your answer Arno,

After going through the tutorial it doesn't seem very hard, but just a lot of work xD