1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Also in the works...

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by kdryan, 30/1/09.

1. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    P-26 Peashooter. Always another favorite...

Criticisms are welcome. Please tear my work apart and tell me what I need to fix!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    It certainly looks smart, good job on the smoothening as well.

May i ask, the fuselage, how to you begin making it? If it was a cylinder, what did you do from there?

Many thanks.
  3. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    It's not that hard, once you practice a bit. I made a cylinder, shaped it to the fuselage, and cut out the cockpit. Then I extruded the the glass, and the cockpit frame from that. After that, I extruded the vertical stabilizer and rear wings, with the rudder and elevator coming last. That's a bit simplistic, but basically that's it. Here are a couple of updated pictures. Again, the wings are extruded from the fuselage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: 31/1/09
  4. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    Many thanks, i preusme you used the ''scale'' tool in on the fuselage?

The engine detail looks amazing, well done!
  5. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    I did. I also have my Travel Air Mystery Ship (See my other thread) waiting for me to figure out how to animate these things. Thanks for the feedback... ;)

Kevin
  6. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    Many thanks, i'm currently setting up an image box like in your first shot for a Jetstream 31, But am having a little diffculty in making and scaling the cylinder, is it important to have alot of vertices?

Thanks
  7. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    If you're still kind of new to this, the tendency is to use a bunch of segments (the vertical lines here) for your cylinder. It's actually a case of less is more here. The first time I attempted to build a plane, I tried to make a Spitfire and came out with a fuselage that roughly resembled a tan dog turd. Just look at the outline of the fuselage and see where it bends and give a few segments for that. If it seems a bit blocky, remember you'll be adding smoothing later. Features such as the headrest, wings and vertical stabilizer will be extruded later, so it'll help a bit if you can leave a segment where they begin or end. The hole for the cockpit will be cut out later, so also, don't worry about that right now.

[​IMG]
    I probably could have done with one or two less towards the front...

Look around the web and you'll find no shortage of tutorials for modeling in Max, especially on Youtube. FS sites have copious amounts of resources for you to take advantage of. I'm still kind of new to FS Developer, but they seem like they might have some good stuff here.

A little music helps a lot too. I prefer to listen to Peter Gabriel... :D
    Last edited: 31/1/09
  8. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    So you scale the sgments rather than the vertices?

Thanks.
  9. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    Pretty much...

Just grab a line of vertices, move them on the fuselage to where they should be, and scale them to the proper size. After you do the sides, then do the top...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    Im sorry, i really don't mean to take over your thread, please say if i am....

So, i have create my box of images, and started to create just the front section, this is what i have so far, only made from the side view, but when i begin to scale from the top few, it all goes pair shaped and the fuse looks rubbish and disformed, i probably used to less vertices but it's a start?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: 1/2/09
  11. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    First things first...

When setting up your box, you cannot be anal enough about getting it right. This is the foundation from which everything you do will build on and if it's wrong, then nothing else will be right. It's VERY easy to get it wrong...

I did a tutorial on setting up the box over at Simviation that I'll upload here as well. In the mean time, you'll find it at the bottom of the page if you click HERE.

Other than that, you have the basic idea of it.

Kevin
    Last edited: 1/2/09
  12. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    Many thanks, Will take a look!

Aircaft design seems far to complicated for me....
  13. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    If it were easy, then everyone would do it. It just requires some patience, caring, and a fifth of something made in Kentucky...
  14. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Keep in mind that -for the most part- fuselages are symmetrical...

...you really only need ONE good side. That's why it's often easier to concentrate on getting ONE side accurate, then clone/mirror modify/attach/weld to form the whole. :)
  15. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    Infact thanks for the tip i shall give that a go see if its i can get a good result!

Cheerz
  16. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    Guess it would have helped to mention that ...:eek:
  17. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    Hehehe,

Thats ok, I appreciate the help from all...
  18. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    I really like aircraft from that era.

Did you know that the P-26 saw service with the Chinese Air Force in the 1930's? It had the chinese sun insignia on the wings. I have a black n white photo of it in one of my aviation books.

P-26 is a neat, neat little fighter. First monoplane pursuit plane in U.S. service.

I design buildings (airport towers, terminals, hangars) for FSX, so normally I don't get into the curves you aircraft guys get into.

However...I know what you mean when you say, "less is more"...I found that out when I did the curved roof of Terminal D and KDFW. Version 1 of that roof was--abominable--and only after I re-made it with fewer vertices, did it start to round out. No pun intended. :rotfl:
  19. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    So, how do i add in more vertices when it is now an editable poly?

I read somewhere about ''autosmoothening'' is that possible?

Many thanks!
  20. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    I would just cut the poly, but someone may have a better way. Remember, I'm not really that much farther along than you are... ;)