1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to Visual Studio

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by scruffyduck, 10/11/06.

1. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    If you are developing in dotNET then you are probably either using a full version of VS2005 or one of the Express Editions. The Express editions are pretty good and have most of the tools that you might need. There is an alternative that you may want to look at called SharpDevelop.

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx

This is a free open source IDE which has more functionality than the Express Editions. You can work on VB.Net and C# projects in the same IDE (rather than using two Express Editions) and although I have not tried it is seems able to handle ASP.NET as well.
  2. WannaBeDeveloper

WannaBeDeveloper

What can .NET do?

Scruffy,

Thanks for moderating this site. What a great resource. I'm wondering if you can paint some broad strokes about the .NET framework (VB.NET in particular) and how it can be used to develop an aircraft add-on for FSX.

I'm brand new to the aircraft add-on realm but I want to create a realistic looking and behaving 3D model/panel of a modern military aircraft with a glass cockpit (the T-6 Texan II). I haven't found any out there that are realistic from my viewpoint so I want to make one. The glass cockpit and functionality is such that I would have to design the gauges and panels and such myself.

I have amateur vb.net programming ability and I use VS 2003 and the 1.1 framework for coding. I can upgrade to 2005 if need be but first I'd like to know what .NET can do for me. Can I use it to create gauges and the functionality behind those gauges? I'm very new, but most discussion I've seen has involved .xml files and C# (which I do not know).

Any help on how to leverage the little .NET I know to tackle this task would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
  3. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Hmmm well I can tall you about the dotNET framework and so on but I have to say, for what you want to do you will almost certainly need to use C++. Unless things have changed in FSX addon programming then you will need to use that route. In FS9 anything related to gauges etc either needed to be created using XML or C++ and most of the code behind gauges etc is almost certainly C++. I guess it would be possible to use Visual C++ to create the modules to be used.

I am not the best person to ask about programming 'in sim' addons since all my work to date has been outside the Sim creating separate executables which can communicate with the SimSim. There are guys here who are much more attuned to this area and probably can advise you better.

Personally I think it likely that you would need to understand C++ to do this sort of thing. It may be possible to use C#. In any case these are quite different than VB.Net.
  4. WannaBeDeveloper

WannaBeDeveloper

Thanks Scruffy,

I don't know much about C++ although I'm willing to learn it.

I'm just starting out and don't yet know what I don't know so I appreciate the help. Thanks a bunch.