1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Animate - Have GUID but No Model?

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by Odaat, 26/12/06.

1. Odaat

Odaat

I've been using the sample vcc code in the FSX SDK to animate objects with success. I have placed animated giraffes walking a route in Alaska, which is cool, but not very realistic. There is a guid for a grizzly in the objects listing ANI_grizzly_walking_sm with a corrresponding guid. However, there is no corresponding folder in the simobjects/animals folder, so there is no sim.cfg or mdl file for the sim.cfg to call. Yet, I can use a static location xml file to display a fully-textured grizzly with a walking motion - he just won't go anywhere.

Is there a way for me to animate the grizzly without a mdl file using vcc code? How does MS call the grizzly using just the guid?

Hoping to hear some answers for this one :)

Paul
  2. lc0277

lc0277

france
    Did you tried to extract the MDL file from its bgl libraries (bglxml does it, maybe bglAnalyzeX too) and create a simobject container with it ? Just copy sim.cfg and model.cfg from another animal (or groundvehicle) and change some fields.
  3. Odaat

Odaat

No. Can I have a little more information on how to find out which library the animated object might be in and where to find it in FSX?

Thanks
  4. lc0277

lc0277

france
    Generic objects libraries are in FSX/Scenery/Global/Scenery.

In fact, you can even skip the extraction of the MDL file. Just create a new directory under SimObjects/Misc (or any simobject directory) and use this in the sim.cfg:
    Code:
    [fltsim.0]
    title=Missile Test
    model=""
    texture=""
    visual_model_guid= {55cf4b1a-ad23-4dd8-91ab-3853eebd2d68}

[General]
    category=SimpleObject

Change the GUID to the model you want (there is a list in Terrain SDK/library objects.txt). No need to touch any other file.
    Doesn't seem to work for all library objects. The above example crashed FSX :eek:
    In FS9, aircraft and scenery MDLs were not compatible. I heard it changed in FSX, but don't know how much. Looks like you cannot really swap between scenery and aircraft models.

The visual_model_guid keyword is also undocumented in aircraft container SDK, that's probably a reason ...
  5. Odaat

Odaat

Thanks, I'll try that out.

Cheers,
    Paul