1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX Animations again

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by robystar, 29/7/09.

1. robystar

robystar

Hi,

I am afraid there is still something not quite working well.
    I downloaded a Russian cruiser (www.avsim.su) and noticed there were some bugs in it.
    So I ran the model through the ModelconverterX and noticed the author forgot to put the night parameter for a light. So I changed that and exported the model again.
    Unfortunately, some (but not all) of the animations do not work anymore.
    I cannot tell you if it is a Gmax or FSDS model as the readme is in Russian and wordpad does not read the Russian characters (besides the fact that my Russian is rather primitive and rusty as well).
    Maybe I could send it in a PM to the one that can help me out (I try to keep it impersonal, Arno)?
    Spasiba.

Rob
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

What kind of object is it? If it is an FSX aircraft MDL file, this is quite normal behaviour. These animations are quite complex and ModelConverterX can not write them yet. Basically only animations that are driven by a simple timer are supported now.
  3. robystar

robystar

It is a rotating radar, Arno and yes, it is an FSX mdl.
    Guess I will have to learn how to write russian to contact the author then.
  4. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

If the animation in FSX is just rotating all the time, driven by the time I would expect that it works. If not maybe I can debug the object.
  5. robystar

robystar

animations still

Hi Arno,

I have been faithfully updating modelconverterX with the newest releases but animations like in the FSX animated flag are still lost after having imported and exported them.
    Is there any hope you will come up with a solution for that or is it too complicated?

Roby

PS Wanted to wait to congratulate you with your wedding until I was sure it was not a practical joke. As I guess you do have become a husband all right, I truly congratulate you on finding the proverbial needle in a haystack, that is finding a girl you love AND a mother i.l. you get along with.
  6. arno

netherlands
    Hi Roby,

Animations like the flag you refer to are probably skin and bone animations, I can not yet read and write those. But if you have a normal keyframe animation driven by a timer than ModelConverterX should read and write it correctly.

If you open an aircraft MDL file, than the animation are read and can be viewed, but they will not yet be exported correctly. This is because those animations are more complex.

Supporting the aircraft animations and the skin and bone animations better is on the todo list, but other features have more priority at the moment to be honest.

And thanks for the congratulations :).
  7. robystar

robystar

You are more than welcome, Arno. Marital bliss is something you should cherish as long as it lasts. (By the way, I will try to attend the Lelystad FS Weekend if my own 'marital bliss' allows me to)
    Referring to the animations, I had hoped to avoid at all cost having to learn Gmax but it looks like I will have to, especially if I want to put my (of course freeware) project (Camp Holland in Uruzgan) to the disposal of others (I use a lot of third party adapted Gmax/FSDS objects that I have to ask permission for to upload but nobody answers), unless I can convince my Belgian (Ostend) friend to help out the Dutch 'virtual' forces In Afghanistan. Unfortunately, he is working on the new Belgian Queen Elisabeth Antarctic Base scenery and runs into mesh problems but the Gmax base itself looks really lifelike.

Rob
    Last edited: 2/10/09