1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone notice that the nav data

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by Vector, 20/3/07.

1. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    doesn't have a country assigned to, just a region. I believe more than one country can have the same region code; hence in the case of duplicates there is no easy way to know to which country the navaid belongs.

I was wondering if there is some sort of table available to find out what the countries are?
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Some regions have more than one country and some countries have more than one region. Is this the same question you asked earlier or a different one?
    Last edited: 21/3/07
  3. MillKa

MillKa

germany
    yep, see section "prefixes" at Wikipedia - ICAO airport code
  4. jvile

jvile

Vector

When you say Nav Data are you refering to the Approach data in the FSX default APX bgl files?

We already have a thread still open that you never came back to which links to Wikipedia showing the Country/Region codes.

Like Jon says, are we still refering to those same questions?

Your original post is still on this page toward the bottom

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4130
  5. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    Sorry I forgot about my other post.

the list shows prefix and country, not region and country.
  6. jvile

jvile

Are you refering to the list on the Wikipedia?

I am sure you read this on the Wiki page

FS9/FSX is fully compliant to this list except the C, K, U, and Y Code.

In your post you say
    There are many different duplicates in the default Navdata. FS9/FSX shows what Region Code if duplicated belongs to what country in the default GPS receiver. There is a menu list on one of the screens that show any duplicates when selecting a NAVAID. The list is there also to help the Pilot know that he is selecting the correct approach based on the duplicated code for the correct Region.

The GPS uses a search feature to look for and show the duplicates including VOR, NDB, Waypoint approach ILS Navdata for different Countries and Regions.

Example is there are 32 NDB's with the Identifier of the letter "F".

These NDB's range from Canada to South America, Australia, China and Russia. The GPS receiver searches the database and then within the list tells us what Country/Region each NDB belongs to. this can be done with any type Waypoint or NAVAID.

I still am somewhat confused on what your objective is. You keep refering to Country codes missing but never say what you are trying to accomplish. If I understood what is important for your project then my answers may be better.
    Last edited: 22/3/07
  7. Vector

Vector

us-pennsylvania
    Example -

Region code 'FL' has five countries in it.
    The Country codes are CM, AO, CG, MI, and MZ.

A navaid or waypoint record having a Region code of 'FL' doesn't have a Country code.

Hence, no way to know what country the navaid or waypoint is in.

And don't forget that there are some duplicate navaid and waypoint names.
    Last edited: 22/3/07
  8. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I think Jim is asking you why and how you want to use this information. That might help us to help you :)
  9. MillKa

MillKa

germany
    As far as i know, the tuple (Ident + Region) is unique.

I think you have to use the navaids geographical location (lat/lon coordinates) and the political boundaries info to find out what country a navaid belongs to (check for point inside polygon).

But i still dont understand for what you need the country info. Even ATC airspace structure (FIR etc) is different from political boundaries.