• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Arno's windsock won't compile

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

This windsock also works in FSX, but you place it like a library object, not with the XML windsock command.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Folks,

Thanks for making the model and the tips - I'm assuming this one is better than the default - I haven't seen any pix of it yet - but - I'll download as soon as I am able...

Along these lines - anyone know of an equally good flag model ??? I really don't care for the static ones that just stand straight out in the wind and my project needs a flag on a flagpole... While I know how to model - I really don't think I have the patience to attempt animating one from scratch - as I would think it would require some serious modeling skills...
:)

Regards,
Scott

Country
unitedstates
Hi Martin,

I'll take a look when I download the windsock as well - thanks so much !!!

Regards,
Scott

Country
germany
Hi Folks,

Thanks for making the model and the tips - I'm assuming this one is better than the default - I haven't seen any pix of it yet - but - I'll download as soon as I am able...

Along these lines - anyone know of an equally good flag model ??? I really don't care for the static ones that just stand straight out in the wind and my project needs a flag on a flagpole... While I know how to model - I really don't think I have the patience to attempt animating one from scratch - as I would think it would require some serious modeling skills...

Regards,
Scott
Hi Scott,

here are two pictures of the windsock (standard and illuminated version). I also added them as a comment in the download-section
windsock.jpg
windsock_illuminated.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Jörg

Country
germany
I only use your model, Jörg.

It compares to the default one like Esmeralda to Quasimodo :)

It is a he:eek:! What kind of comparison is that:confused:?
Arno's reworked sock worked for me but ADE could not compile the mdl9 mdl. So, I made it a library object with MCX using the bglcomp from the fs9 sdk. But I think that has been said already?

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Thanks Jorg - for taking the time and posting the shots... I downloaded it and it looks great... I downloaded the flag as well but it appears to be for FSX so I converted it with MCX - it doesn't appear to move - though... I'll look at it again more closely as it's a nice looking model...

Regards,
Scott

Country
germany
Thanks Jorg - for taking the time and posting the shots... I downloaded it and it looks great... I downloaded the flag as well but it appears to be for FSX so I converted it with MCX - it doesn't appear to move - though... I'll look at it again more closely as it's a nice looking model...

Regards,
Scott
Hi Scott,

glad you enjoyed the windsock. The windsock is usable in FS2004 and FSX. The flag, which was designed by mikrco, uses bones animations. They only work in FSX, you have no chance in FS2004 to bring it to life.

Jörg

Country
unitedstates
Hi Jorg,

Thanks for the help - my modeling software has bones - I've never done a fluid animation before... Maybe I'll have to give it a look... I'll load up the flag in FSX and take a look at a working example...

Regards,
Scott

Country
germany
Hi Jorg,

Thanks for the help - my modeling software has bones - I've never done a fluid animation before... Maybe I'll have to give it a look... I'll load up the flag in FSX and take a look at a working example...

Regards,
Scott
Hi Scott,

I am a bit confused now, do you develop for FSX or FS2004? The bones only work in FSX not in FS2004 independent of the modeling software you use (probably Gmax or 3DSMax?). If you use blender or other programs that support bones, you will not get it in the FSX world.
AFAIK you need the FSX SDK to sucessfully use the bone animations. This is possible with Gmax and 3DSMax. Even MCX doesn´t support bones animation (yet).
I made a little tutorial for the general principle of bone animations on my homepage
Bone Animation Tutorial
Its not specific for a flag but shows the principle. There are some traps e.g. if you forget to set the "Skinned Mesh" parameter in the FSX material.
Jörg

Country
unitedstates
Hi Jorg,

Yeah - I'm still working with FS9... Sorry - I must of had a bit of a conceptual error with "bones" - I thought they were a means to an end and didn't realize the end product had to be loaded into an application that supports them as well... Thanks for the info and I'll read through your tutorial as well...

Regards,
Scott