1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attached effects working badly

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by airmaxxo, 30/4/08.

1. airmaxxo

airmaxxo

italy
    Hello,
    I really cannot make effects working when attached to a poly instead of using the light section of aircraft.cfg; the effects, like afterburners or smoke, seems to be "flat" - no z depth, all parts are aligned to the attaching poly - and also the timing seems to be altered.
    If I change the z scale (normally it is 0.0 in all effects I found) things seems to work, but I cannot understand why all effects work on other planes.
    I have gmax and fsx acceleration, but the problem was present also w/o acceleration, with fsx SP1 and SP2 is the same.
    I would be really grateful if someone could give me an idea about the reason for this behaviour of effects on mdl...

thanks and best regards!
  2. airmaxxo

airmaxxo

italy
    Attachpoint afterburners not emitting particles - solutions

Hello,
    I really would like to know if this is just a problem of mine and no one else experienced difficulties with existing effects (formerly used through the lights section) attached by the new procedure to the exhaust nozzles, with attachpoint tool.
    The effect seems to be out of scale, all the bitmaps are "emitted" in the same position, and not displaced as the effect structure indicated (with offsets along z axis).
    Some displacement appear to be randomly accepted, but the position is different from the original effect.
    I found a partial solution (emitting more then one effect from many attachpoints at different distances from the nozzle).
    This creates an almost acceptable flame, but is really boring and requires the creation of new wffects.
    Is this correct or am I missing something obvious?
    Please let me know if someone has effects like afterburners, flames and smoke, working with a single attaching poly.
    It would be really a great help for me!

Best regards
  3. Chuck Jodry VJPL

Chuck Jodry VJPL

ca-quebec
    Attach point effects have a number of problems associated with their use , chief is the offsets are centered to the attach point , meaning the emitter is positioned at the attach point whatever the offset .
    Not a major problem for lights but with regards to smoke & flame
    you need to redo the effect without offsets and for those that use offset emitters need to be redone so each emmitter is on its own attach point and multiple attach points are positioned where you need them.

There are position issues with attach point effects , depending on view the effect may not be seen in the location you expect with tower view the worst offender and the other issue is the double rendering of the effect .
    One thing to remember is not to use them in the VC model, only the exterior and for the majority of effects not attached to animated parts you are going to have fewer problems using the lighting or smoke bus.
    Last edited: 5/5/08
  4. airmaxxo

airmaxxo

italy
    attachpoint effects - multiple attach-points

Thanks Chuck,
    your reply confirms what I was not willing to admit.
    So I must create a bunch of polys with attached effects, hoping them to be visible in the right place from different points of view? It's too bad.
    But I still can't understand how I could do smoke...
    At least I have the flame, though.
    Thanks again for your kind and detailed reply.
    I will enclose images of the flames obtained with multiple attach points when completed.

Regards
  5. Chuck Jodry VJPL

Chuck Jodry VJPL

ca-quebec
    The vector settings still work for smoke, you do not need to change those only the position offset.