• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best way to create different elevation (hills)

Hi,
Just wanted to create some hills on the airport, and I don't know the best way to do it. I heard about an app called Terrain Sculptor, is that the best way?

I'll upload some examples of what I want do to:
20993051_1686648284713265_4564280511406870948_n.jpg hn2_2-1148x648.jpg

Hi,
Just wanted to create some hills on the airport, and I don't know the best way to do it. I heard about an app called Terrain Sculptor, is that the best way?

I'll upload some examples of what I want do to:
View attachment 36960 View attachment 36961
You can try ADE, which will give you some elevation, but will look polygonal with sharp angles. If you have PS, you can try the sandbox tool, and create hills.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

On the airport they are typically 3D models, since airports are in general flat. But if they are further away from the airport you can probably best make a new elevation BGL with resample that contains your hills, that's easier than trying to model them 3D.

Hi,

On the airport they are typically 3D models, since airports are in general flat. But if they are further away from the airport you can probably best make a new elevation BGL with resample that contains your hills, that's easier than trying to model them 3D.
Arno, I have been using Sketchup to create hills right next to the runway. Would using resample be more frame friendly? Also, the reason why I was using sketchup is that it allows me to hand place vegetation exactly where I want to on a particular hill. I don't have many pics on my ipad, but here is an idea of what I mean. This hill at the forefront right, with a pool house was done with sketchup, and I was able to hand place vegetation at different elevations and angles on that hill. Bernardo.
image.png
image.png
image.jpeg

B

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If it's close to a runway, your current approach is probably best. Runways tend to flatten nearby terrain mesh. Also with terrain mesh (resample) you have less precise control over the shape than your current model shows.