1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BGLcomp problem

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by Sidelobe, 29/11/07.

1. Sidelobe

Sidelobe

us-illinois
    Congrats on a great program. The only problem I am having is compiling the .ade to .bgl. The program seems to run ok and the compile complete screen appears. However, the compiled bgl file is not where it should be. I have used the FSX addon scenery folder and also the bgl folder in the Airport Design Editor's main folder. Both with no luck. I am using Windows Vista. FSX is not running when I compile the ade file. Any ideas?

Regards
    Alex
  2. jvile

jvile

Hello Sidelobe and welcome

When you choose the compile airport from the File menu a explorer screen should open which allows you to choose what folder you want ADE to place the bgl when it compiles.

Once this is done ADE will remember that folder each time you compile another .ade file.

Can you confirm that an explorer window is opening before the compile process begins?
  3. dcmiller58

dcmiller58

Are you using Vista?

Derrick
  4. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    Make sure you are running with Administrator rights and save the bgl to a writeable folder.

George
  5. Sidelobe

Sidelobe

us-illinois
    Yes the explorer window opens. I have saved into the FSX addon scenery folder as well as the BGL subfolder in the ADE programs main folder. FSX was not running when the files were compiled. I also get the small window that states "Airport Compiled". However, there is no compiled airport saved to either of these folders. I thought maybe it was being saved to another location, so I did a search of my hard drive for the file with no luck.

I am using Vista. I have admin rights and I have saved other files to both of the folders to make sure that isn't the problem.

Thanks again,
    Alex
  6. jvile

jvile

Sidelobe

You made a folder on your computer when you extracted the ADE files from the zip. Now make a "Work" sub folder to point to when compiling. Similar to ADE\Work

Open a "Stock Airport" (any airport).

Now "Compile Airport" to this Work folder and see if a bgl is placed there.

The default naming scheme should be XXXX_ADE_JV.bgl where as the first letters are the ICAO then ADE then your initials.
  7. Sidelobe

Sidelobe

us-illinois
    OK. I made a folder called "ADE work" in the Microsoft games main folder. I started Airport Design Editor and loaded the stock airport KMDA. I then selected Compile airport from the file menu. It opened the "save as" window. I selected the new "ADE work" folder and selected save. The file name was KMWA_ADE_AMH and the file type was bgl. The compile screen appeared showing the airport had been compiled. I opened the new ADE Work folder and it was empty. I repeated this process using the stock airports KMDW and KDPA. The results were the same. The program shows the airports were compiled but there were no files in the folder. I also ran the fault finder or all three airports. The stock airport KDPA did show two faults. The other two airports showed no faults.

Regards
    Alex
  8. liberalgeek

liberalgeek

even if you have admin rights you may still have to right click and say run as administrator.

also try compat mode for xp
  9. glottis

glottis

newzealand
    Alex
    this is strange, i'm only getting one fault at the default KDPA, a hold short 74, so it will still compile,
    Now i don't want to confuse the issue can you try to save a BGL to your Desktop, i just did and it appeared o/k
    i think you've already tried a search for it........

Ray
  10. Sidelobe

Sidelobe

us-illinois
    It is strange indeed. I saved the bgl files to the desktop and it works fine. I loaded a modified airport into FSX and it displays fine. Except, I have trees in the middle of my runway. But that's another problem altogether. I can copy the bgl files to any of the folders without any problems.

I also ran the ADE program with a right click and selected run as administrator. Opened one of the files and then compiled the airport into my new ADE work folder. The file was there and everything works ok.

This is also strange since I am logged on as the administrator (the only one on my system). I have noticed in the past when I have been moving files around the system will notify me that I have to be an administrator to perform that function. It then pops up a window for me to allow myself to perform the task at hand.

It looks like my problem has to do with folder permissions. I will check it out and see if I can correct that.

The second fault I am seeing in KDPA is 02L Wrong Link ID and I have not changed anything at that airport.

At any rate, my problem was solved twice today thanks to Ray and Liberalgeek. Now it's back to airport design school.

Thanks again guys.
    Alex
  11. dcmiller58

dcmiller58

I have had the same behavior and solved it by saving to desktop and manually moving to the scenery folder as you have done.

There is an option in control panel/ user accounts to turn off "user account control" which will eliminate the problem but has its own security risks.

Since I am the only one using this computer I turned it off. Something to try.

Derrick
  12. jvile

jvile

Sidelobe

You are correct on this. The 2 faults are associated even though they are no where near each other. The hold short is indexing to the 15 runway but is placed at 02R.

The 02R runway ID line (which says 15) is wrong on runway 15 but ADE cannot heal this for some reason.

We need to break down the XML and take a closer look on why the compiler will not accept the changes I make.

This will be a good airport for Jon to check the fault finder with and see why the XML is not correcting itself as per the reindexing of nodes and runway paths.
  13. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Looking at it now :)
  14. jvile

jvile

Alex

We have not forgot you

We are still working on this fault problem with 02L Wrong Link ID on RWY 15
  15. scruffyduck

wales
    The problem with KDPA has been identified Alex. I am guessing that you have your dimension units set to Feet. There is a missing unit conversion in one of the algorithms. If you temporarily change your dimension units to meters I expect the problem faut reports to go away. This is now fixed in the next release
  16. MMoose

MMoose

australia
    Seem to be having a simalar problem

Gday all,
    I am having the same issue that is discussed here, I have tried everything that is listed by to no avail.
    Everytime that i go to save an airport and some adjustments that i have made it comes up with this little box after it has asked me where it wants to save the file and where you want to save it. I have checked the airport and there are no faults it saves in ADE format but not in BGL, i have tried saving it in different locations and with different names but nothing. I have a feeling that it comes down to that little box but i cant figure it out.
    Is there anyone out there who knows what is going on here??? please.
    :confused:
    Thank you for your support and look forward to your reply.
    :)

Attached Files:

17. jvile

jvile

Welcome MMoose

I can't see the entire tree in your picture but the BGLComp compiler is complaining about a problem with the fence that goes around the airport property.

You can go back around the airport property in zoom mode looking at the vertex's that make up the fence to be sure none overlap or crosslink. You can also use manage attachments at the bottom of your post and attach your .ADE file if it is not larger then 100k so we can look also.
    Last edited: 11/12/07
  18. MMoose

MMoose

australia
    Thanks Jim,
    I had a close look at the boundry fence but could not find anything wrong with it. As I looked into it the same thing was apearing with the blast fence.
    The only thing that i could do to get around this issue was to delete the fences from the file, then there was not problem at all.
    The weirdest thing about the fences is that they where both stock i did not touch them at all until i found the problem.
    Thanks for the help Jim

Regards

MMoose ;)
  19. jvile

jvile

I loaded the stock airport and it compiled properly. I am not sure what could be causeing the problem without looking at your compiled bgl.

If you attach the bgl we can surly put the stock blastpad and fence back into your airport and then see what could be the problem.

If you did not modify the stock blastpad or the boundary fence then delete it from your ADE airport and FSX will use the stock one in the original bgl which is what you did.
  20. scruffyduck

wales
    Can you please check that you have the lastest versions of BOTH Bglcomp.exe and BglComp.xsd. If the compiler is throwing an error with both blast and boundary fences then this would indicate that one or other of these is a wrong version. Also if you have the latest BglComp.exe but an old BgComp.xsd the compiler failure will continue to arise.

Go to the location you have specified in the ADE folders for BglComp. right click on both BglComp.exe in the properties dialog go to the Version tab check to see what it is. Mine is 10.0.61637.0 and comes from the Accel pack. If you have not got the Accel pack then I wuld expect it to be 10.0.61355.0

Check the date on your bglcomp.xsd the one prior to the accel pack is 25 Jan 2007. The one with the Accel pack is 22 Aug 2007. Thus if you have anything less than 10.0.61355.0 and 25 Jan 2007 you need to update them