1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P3D v3 Black water and several other issues

Discussion in 'Terrain Design General' started by aeroengie, 1 Sep 2017.

1. aeroengie

aeroengie

us-connecticut
    Trying to sort through a couple of issues. All of my water is totally black, regardless of what color I use in the water mask. Am I missing something in the config file?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On another note, I have ORBX installed, and I dont have any problems with autogen popping up through my land BGL. However, there is one water tower that seems to be baked into the scenery and I can't get rid of it. The smaller one is the one I am trying to get rid of. I can't select it in simdirector, and my scenery is top on the priority list.

[​IMG]

2. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    A watermask just gives "water" properties to the image (such as wakes, and splashing). The photoreal image of the water still shows. Your image must have very dark or black water.

A blendmask cuts a hole in the photoreal, allowing underlying vector scenery to show in the hole. If the underlying vector is water, then the vector water will show, and it will have wakes and splashing.

That smaller tank probably needs a vector exclusion polygon.

3. aeroengie

aeroengie

us-connecticut
    Hmm, I feel as though I had bright water in my image but I'll test it out.

How do you set ground exclusion polygons? Is that an autogen annotator feature?

4. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hello:

If the 8-Bit gray-scale value in the Blend Mask allows for too much transparency, the custom photoreal aerial imagery of the local King James Lake "very dark" (conifer-tannin-stained) water color will show through to the top of the terrain.

Google Maps view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8560399,-74.8783619,351a,35y,24.86h,45.23t/data=!3m1!1e3

A link to that site in Google Earth desktop application
    : (un-ZIP and double-click the KMZ file)

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/at...5/?temp_hash=65bfaa6bdd3e96d0cb57feacb98a5540

If you want more of a default FS "Water Class" texture color from the underlying Hydro polygon to show through through the 'hole' created by the 1-Bit gray-scale Water Mask to be displayed on top of the custom photoreal aerial imagery, you must change the 8-Bit gray-scale value in the Blend Mask so that the 'blend' allows for a less transparent result.

You may also wish to change the type of FS "Water Class" texture 'color' assigned to the Hydro polygon used to create that water body if you want it to have a different appearance in FS at run time.

This excerpt from a tutorial by Luis Feliz-Tirado explains how Blend Masks work:

"The Blend Mask is a grayscale image, where pure white (RGB 256,256,256) displays the custom textures and pure black (RGB 0,0,0) is full transparency (and will display the underlying ground - or water!)

All gray values in between will represent varying levels of transparency where the custom textures blend with the default ground.
    "

Make photo-real ground textures

[​IMG]
    File Description:
    It is very easy to create your very own high-resolution, custom (photo-real) ground textures. This document explains the concepts and techniques and illustrates the use of SBuilderX with which you can quickly and easily download aerial images and make this type of scenery. So, why hesitate? Make Flight Simulator scenery as real as it gets! Very sorry - no support of any kind is offered. Please do not write. For any questions, please post in the Avsim Scenery Design Forum.

Filename: make_photo-real_ground_textures_in_fs_x.zip
    License: Freeware
    Added: 21st November 2009, 23:20:06
    Downloads: 17714
    Author: Luis Feliz-Tirado
    Size: 2143kb

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=140539

Unless you personally created custom autogen annotations for your custom photoreal aerial imagery as *an.AGN files placed into a local paired \Textures sub-folder alongside the \Scenery sub-folder containing your custom photoreal aerial imagery BGL, you are likely seeing autogen from underlying default or 3rd party add-ons 'popping up' through to the top of your terrain in FS at run time. :pushpin:

Normally custom photoreal aerial imagery land class prevents that from happening; when you fail to exceed a value of ex: mid-gray-scale (RGB 127,127,127) in your 8-Bit gray-scale Blend Mask this risk of "autogen pop-through" from underlying autogen-annotated scenery texture layers will increase. :alert:

Try to use a gray scale 'color' value on the 'lighter' side of a mid-gray-scale ex: (RGB 128,128,128 or greater) in your 8-Bit gray-scale Blend Mask, that will work properly to allow the desired balance of display for your custom photoreal aerial imagery land class ...without also allowing "autogen pop-through" from underlying autogen-annotated default or 3rd party scenery texture layers. ;)

To remove autogen from default land class textures, a BGLComp XML-type exclude rectangle is used.

To remove autogen from custom photoreal aerial imagery land class textures, a SHP2VEC CVX vector polygon exclude is used.

IIUC, you have OrbX FTX Global and/or other OrbX custom Land Class textures installed under your custom photoreal aerial imagery.

You may need to try both types of autogen excludes to remove the annotated autogen water tower object, which was not placed as a BGLComp XML-type scenery library object, and, IIUC, would therefore not be accessible via SimDirector or Instant Scenery etc.

FYI: In the event that you find the unwanted FS default autogen water tower is only excluded by a BGLComp XML-type exclude 'rectangle', keeping that exclude 'rectangle' size very small and targeting only autogen, should allow your replacement "Evesham M.U.A." water tower placed as a BGLComp XML-type scenery library object ...to still be displayed. :idea:

BTW: You may also wish to download and study another (2) tutorials by Luis Feliz-Tirado:

Terrain Design

[​IMG]
    File Description:
    Terrain Design for Flight Simulator X

This simple illustrated document explains the basic concepts in Flight Simulator X terrain, and how to change them using SBuilder for FS X. Make new water bodies, roads, vehicle traffic, airport flattens, remove autogen, add more detail - anybody can do it easily and quickly.
    My most sincere apologies - I am unable, for lack of free time, to offer support of any kind. For questions or problems, please post in the Avsim scenery design forum.

Filename: terrain_design_for_flight_simulator_x.zip
    Added: 14th December 2009, 13:29:15
    Downloads: 16648
    Size: 3991kb

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=141643

Using the Autogen Annotator

[​IMG]
    File Description:
    The Autogen Annotator is a powerful tool for modifying the autogen of default ground textures or adding autogen to custom (photo-real) ground. This document illustrates the use of the tool, and includes a pictorial guide to all autogen object types. Very sorry - no support of any kind is offered. Please do not write. For any questions, please post in the Avsim Scenery Design Forum.

Filename: using_the_autogen_annotator_264833.zip
    Added: 21st November 2009, 16:18:51
    Downloads: 4220
    Size: 8930kb

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=140537

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Attached Files:

Last edited: 19 Sep 2017 at 06:00
  5. aeroengie

aeroengie

us-connecticut
    Wow Gary, thank you for that detailed and precise response! I will look into those resources, I am impressed with your knowledge of scenery creation.