1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blender <-> FSX MDL

Discussion in 'Blender' started by Marginal, 13 Jan 2008.

1. Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

The tool appears to only be working with older versions of blender.
  2. Moonlight Sonata

Moonlight Sonata

just revisting an old thread - the blender libraries changed from version 2.5 so these files will need to be reworked. I am looking at modding the exporter for fs9.
  3. kowal5376

kowal5376

Hey is there any update on the exporter 'Blender <-> FSX MDL' with animations,attach points and material settings.
    I need just exporter...(not just me,i suppose).
    I have made some airplains with textures,materials and normal maps,even with gauges for FSX.
    It works great,but doesn't have any animations....
    If You have some big problems with that script,just write.We will try to help as we are here
    to help,and support each another.Not just to use others' works.

Marginal,we will bless Your name if You complete and finish that script.
    PLEASE...:wave:
  4. AeroFiles

AeroFiles

faroeislands
    Any news on this ?
    3ds is a bit to expensive and I don't want to use gmax other than for the things that blender can't do such as animate jetways bones etc.
    Last edited: 13 Dec 2012
  5. kevintampa5

kevintampa5

unitedstates
    Blender exports to .DAE, then use MCX to convert to mdl, bgl, .x or whatever FS filetype you need.

Its not the best way but it works in the mean time.

Edit: never mind this post, I misread the topic at hand
  6. CitMusJoe

CitMusJoe

austria
    three years since the last post in this thread. Any news re. converter/mdl-exporter I have eventually missed?
    If not I'll have to step back from Blender to GMAX.

My new FSX hangar models (with FS9-animations) are ready to be launched/converted/exported from Blender.
    I know I have to Export FS9-mdl => CAT ...

But I don't want to install any further SW like MCX, where I have no experience and don't know if all will work as I expect it to ...

Josef
    (hobby modeller)
  7. fsxar177

fsxar177

us-idaho
    Josef,
    Did you over-look the latest developments, with 'Blender2FSX' ?

- Joseph
  8. jdberg

jdberg Resource contributor

germany
    Hi Josef,
    I changed from Gmax to Blender some months ago since the new Blender2FSX Toolset is available and I am really satisfied with it.
    Nearly all functions are implemented already including bones animation and all the FSX Material stuff you need for FSX and P3D.
    Its worth to give it a try.
    Jörg
  9. CitMusJoe

CitMusJoe

austria
    Hi guys,

thanks for that quick response. <g>
    @joseph: THX for the hint. :) Now I just started reading a lot of threads in different foras.
    @Jörg: Interesting Infos, Jörg. My head comes up again... Did you also create some FSX stuff including animations? If yes, please let me know how (e.g. Blender=>Exporter=>.x-file=>fs9.mdl=>Arno's CAT. etc). For my hangar doors I'll not need Blender's or GMAX's bones-animation feature as the door animation isn't that complex animation at all.

Josef
    (hobby modeller)
  10. jdberg

germany
    Currently I made standard animations like moving or rotating objects. I also started with some bone animations but didn´t finish them yet. I have some animated persons in my sceneries but they were still done with Gmax.

Kris made some excellent video tutorials which also explain animations in a simple airplane e.g. rudder pedals etc.
    Look at that thread and you find a very good introduction on how to work with blender:
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/blender-2-70-blender2fsx-tools-video-tutorials.430998/
  11. Dutcheeseblend

Dutcheeseblend Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Josef, and welcome! The Blender2FSX toolset does the job quite nicely! I've created my Fokker D.21 (and now T.5) for FSX in Blender, completely exported to FSX with the toolset. The bird now has over 8300 downloads accumulated for both versions :)

We've a few aircraft creators around here, and scenery creators as well. So I think these two subjects are good covered here.
  12. CitMusJoe

CitMusJoe

austria
    Did you also create scenery objects with moving elements (like a hangar) for FSX with Blender & Blender2FS tool?
    The reason I ask: some time ago I created a scenery called ''Joe's Outpost'' for FSX. As far as I can remember I had to use the FS9 gamepack with GMAX for being able to 'transfer' the animations with Arno's CAT-tool (for FS9). This was only an issue referring FSX scenery animations development only. Applying animations to aircraft was less difficult IMHO.

For all non animated objects I used the FSX gamepack & GMAX. I also do remember that there were some naming conventions like ''tick_18'' for animated parts so that CAT could interpret and create the raw animation. Unfortunately it has been a loooong way until the project got successfully finished. I hope this time to be able to spend more time in creating models and less time in debugging and finding workarounds and solutions ...

Josef
    (hobby modeller)
  13. CitMusJoe

CitMusJoe

austria
    Thanks for your useful statements, Dutcheeseblend. Glad to see that you succeeded with Blender & FSX. I hope to get it all into a row also with scenery (animated Hangar doors)... ;-)

I also want to thank you all here for your appreciated developments. I know how stony the way can be sometimes. Glad to see that FSX developments still go on! :)

Josef
    (hobby modeler) => for all Americans
    (hobby modeller) => for all British guys
  14. jdberg

germany
    No to be honest I didn´t develop animations for using Arno´s CAT-Tool in Blender. The toolset only produces MDL´s for FSX and you cannot add conditions afterwards with this approach.
    For me it is anyway a dead end using these animations because with P3D they are not working anymore.
    If you want to design these kind of animations that work in P3D and FSX you have to use the SimConnect approach which is completely different.
    For FSX only animations with conditions you can go the old way via Gmay and FS9 Gamepack.

Jörg
  15. CitMusJoe

CitMusJoe

austria
    Thank you Jörg for your comprehensive reply. That helps me a lot. In *this* case I have to revert to GMAX & FS9-Gamepack. But all the other things I'll create using Blender & Blender2FSX toolset.

BTW also many thanks for the more than useful wiki inside here as well as all the links especially the video-tutorial links. I've already (re)started to continue studying ... :)

Josef