• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Blender question.

Country
us-northdakota
Hey guys,
I have been searching all over and cannot figure this out. I am currently building a P-61B for ai use in fs9 and possibly fsx using Blender. I am running into a problem with the flaps and the origin. I export to a .x file and then compile using makemdl for fs9. Aircraft appears in fs9 however my flaps are not in the neutral position and when they extend, they go in strange directions. I am guessing it has to do with the origin and it's orientation. I am at work so I can't post screen shots. Will get some up later this morning to show what i mean. In the meantime, do you guys think I am right in assuming this is the problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? I know some parts in fs9 have to the origin a certain way so they function correctly. I have the flaps named l_flap and r_flap per the sdk. Any help is greatly appreciated so I can move along to modeling the finer details.

Country
unitedkingdom
When you say origin, do you mean axis? the flaps in FS9 are X axis dependent, in Gmax that's horizontal.

Country
us-northdakota
blender2014-08-2513-22-49-72_zps7a822119.png

This is how it is currently modeled in Blender. Flaps in retracted position. When compiled, this is how they look.
AIAEModelViewer2014-08-2513-23-06-27_zpsb0a4c608.png

When extended the point down but the inboard and outboard edges are going opposite directions. any ideas?

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi redtail58554!

It sounds like to me that your scale is not set to a default X = 1; y = 1, z = 1. To set your scale, make sure that you select the object and on the keyboard hit the ctrl + a key. Then click on scale. Doing this will set the default scale back to 1,1,1.

Just by looking at your model, it looks like your ailerons are at an angle, so when you try too rotate on the X axis you will have to be in local view. If this is the case, you will also need to set your aileron control object to default rotate before setting your fist keyframe.

So here is what you need to do.

I do not know how you setup your rotation on the x axis on your ailerons. But if you are using another object as your pivot point. Select the ailerons pivot point object then click ctrl + A key select scale. Then repeat ctrl + a key again and this time select rotate. (Remember setting rotation of the ailerons pivot point must be completed before you move your pivot points for your first keyframe.)

The two video's below will explain the process better. The video does not show to set the rotation to default because the pivot point was exactly on the x axis.

I hope this helps.

Krispy1001

Country
us-northdakota
thanks for those. will do some more playing around with what I learned in those videos. Looks like that will do the trick.

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
You are very welcome!

I will be making the next Blender to FSX video tomorrow. It will be on making the instrument panel and VC textures.

Krispy1001

Country
us-northdakota
Ok, new problem. Got flaps somewhat correct. Problem is when they extend, they are above the wing. When retracted, they are at the correct 0 position. Any ideas how to fix this?

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi redtail58554!

I do not know exactly what you mean by above the wing. Do you mean that the flap and the rotation point is above the wing? It would help to see a picture of the problem.

Did you make sure that your animation was set back to 0, before you exported your .mdl file? If not this could be a problem.

Krispy1001

Country
us-northdakota
The rotation point is fine but when the flap extends, which is normally in a downward motion, it extends upward.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Redtail!

At first, I advice you to start your animation at frame 0.

Furthermore, can you put screenshots of each frame, including the transform tab which is included in the N toolbar?

Country
us-northdakota
Okay, so I have partially solved the flap problem, but another problem has arisen. None of my animations work in FS9 the way I set them up in Blender. My gear does not retract at all and my flaps don't follow the paths I set up in blender. See attached screenshots.
blender2014-09-0219-11-55-74_zps04a9c7c8.jpg

This screen shot shows blender with flaps and gear deployed.

fs92014-09-0219-25-07-49_zps68e12995.jpg

In FS9. Hit F5 to fully retract flaps, and they are in what should be the fully extended position. Also notice gear do not retract.

fs92014-09-0219-25-23-35_zps5e5084d9.jpg

Hit F8 to fully extend the flaps, and they partially retract but not all the way. Gear still don't retract. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Country
us-california
I'm afraid I can't help you with Blender, but I know a lot about the P-61 having spent a lot of time building one for FSX. It's not done yet, but is fairly well along...if you have any questions about the plane I'd be happy to attempt answering them.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
You tagged all correctly? I believe there is a different workflow to create an FS9 .mdl... Have you looked in the SDK?

Country
us-northdakota
I have read through the sdk several times. I recently came across a thread some where about newer versions of blender having a bug in the exporter for directx. Animations not getting properly exported. Was gonna try and dig into that more on my days off.

Country
unitedkingdom
Before you animated the landing gear, did you have it in the retracted position? the gear must be in the retracted position at the start of the animation & they must be named correctly, c_gear, l_gear & r_gear respectively.

Country
us-northdakota
Ok. So I figured out the exporting animations via the directx export in blender. Now running into an error when compiling using MakeMDL. I get an error that says: "ERROR: found scale animation (c_gear)".. Any idea what that means?