• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender to FSX Toolset

I wanted to know if anyone is working on some sort of toolset for Blender <-> FSX. Maybe we could join our efforts. I've just started with an animation manager to tag the objects with animations like the ACES toolset does. That should allow an exporter to support animations neatly. Next on is Attachpoints.

animation_manager_zps0f942677.jpg

edit. Added FSX Properties in the Object properties panel
fsx_properties_zpsfe8252ef.jpg

edit2. added attachment file for testers. install in your "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.69\scripts\addons" folder. In Blender, go to file->user preferences->Addons. The Toolset is under "Testing". Right now, it's just the animation and attachpoint tools. They do nothing fancy, just set some properties on the scene objects. You can query these in the interactive console. For example: C.active_object.fsx_ml returns the active objects attachpoint tag. Let me know if it "works", meaning that it doesn't generate any errors on your system.

edit3. FSX Materials finished. Now the big task: the EXPORTER. Keep your fingers crossed.

edit4. fixed Error when loading addon FSX_Toolset

update[2013/11/18]: slowly progressing. exporter basic functionality is working and XToMDL compiles without errors or warnings. Next is add support for FSX materials. :D

update[2013/11/23]: first "pre-beta" version of the exporter completed. Supports FSX materials. No attachpoints and animations yet. works only with FSX_Material.py and FSX_Toolset.py installed. Please report bugs (and bugs there will be) here in the thread. It's based on the official DirectX .X file exporter which I find to be a tad slow. But I'm not yet as experienced as that I could write a speedier version from scratch. I'll delve into that later, maybe...

update[2013/11/23]: fixed bug caused by armatures in the scene. Beware, the exporter does not yet support skinned animations.

update[2013/11/28]: added support for attachpoints and animations. Skinned animations are not yet supported. Don't export any armature objects. I need some test reports (export, compile, compare the result in FSX with the original blender file), because writing the animation section was mostly guesswork and I can't do extensive testing myself. You may find the exporter to be somewhat slow with larger blender scenes, give it some time.

update[2013/11/30]: added support for skinned mesh animations. Use armature modifier and vertex groups (envelopes won't work). Fixed bug when exporting animations with no length defined in modeldef.xml (i.e. "Ambient")

update[2013/12/03]: fixed bug when exporting animations with no length defined in modeldef.xml (i.e. "Ambient")

update[2013/12/03]: added feature: export direct to .MDL. See export options...

update[2014/01/03]: fixed MDL export. fixed "Is virtual cockpit texture" parameter of FSX material.

update[2014/01/04]: fixed MDL export (hopefully forever). fixed texture issue after "Is virtual cockpit texture" fix.

update[2014/11/16]: fixed "NoCrash" and "Platform", untested. Please report any further issues in this thread.

update[2014/11/18] 0.6.02: IMPORTANT NOTICE:
  1. Blender2FSX is now released under the GNU General Public License.
  2. Version numbers have been added. First to be released today is 0.6.02. It is a BETA-version.
Now, concerning this release:
  • added Detail and Fresnel ramp. should work now.
  • fixed "NoCrash" attachpoint. should work now.
update[2014/11/19] 0.6.03:
  • changed behavior of attachpoint tool. it is now possible to tag multiple objects at once.
  • "Platform" does work, refer to wiki manual for details.

update[2014/11/19] 0.6.04:
  • added automatic unique naming of Attachpoints (effects) and Platforms to resolve issues with multiple tagging. Hopefully this time, you can attach an effect and/or platform to multiple objects at once.
  • additional information on attachpoints is now displayed in the "FSX Properties" rollout.
  • FSX Animation Tool: Button "Clear All" is now "Clear Selected" and will only clear animations from selected objects. Also, "Assign" and "Clear" operations can now be undone by hitting Undo (Ctrl+Z).
  • Operation "Generate GUID" can now be undone by hitting Undo (Ctrl+Z).
Note: wiki manual will be updated accordingly ASAP.

update[2014/12/14] 0.7.01:
  • Completed full support for skinned meshes. Testers needed!
  • You don't need to set the current frame to 0 before export anymore. That is now handled automatically.
update[2014/12/19] 0.7.02:
  • Fixed scaling/position problem with skinned meshes (the result in FSX was stretched before, now it is WYSIWYG).
  • Fixed skinned meshes for use with constrained bones. Tested with TrackTo constraint.
update[2014/12/21] 0.7.03:
  • Quick fix for "Ambient"-type bone animations that have no length defined in modeldef.xml.
update[2015/02/07] 0.8.1:
  • Rewritten large parts of export_fsx.py.
  • Changed Armature Export behavior to Bone Export. Armature objects are no longer exported, instead, bones are exported directly. This is a workaround to the bone export limit of 22 bones per armature.
update[2015/02/13] 0.8.2:
  • Bug fixes on armature/bone export.
update[2015/02/15] 0.8.3:
  • Bug fixes here and there... mainly animations.
update[2015/02/16] 0.8.4:
  • Bug fixes.
  • FSX Animation tool: Support of (un-)tagging of multiple bones.
________________________________________________________________________________________
USAGE: File > Export > DirectX for FSX
  • A Wiki-Article was started as a manual for the toolset here
  • Testers are assumed to be familiar with the FSX SDK. For a good starting point on how to use the tool set to create aircraft for FSX, please watch the Youtube videos made by krispy1001. They are here in the Showroom.

Unsupported features:
  • "Verify Function". A feature that tests the integrity of your model before export... TODO
  • "Adding library objects." TODO
PS. I want to thank all beta-testers involved in this project for their steady interest and contributions, especially krispy1001, Dutcheeseblend, schigera, jdberg. And thank you FSDeveloper team, for creating such a great forum.

Cheers

Attachments

• Blender2FSX_0703.zip
    27.1 KB · Views: 3,376
  • Blender2FSX_084.zip
    29.2 KB · Views: 5,170
Last edited:
I wish I knew Python script :D seeing this I was like :eek::eek::eek: Good job ! Apart of this we need proper .X file export with .XANIM file and FSX materials too..

little update. Attachpointtool now supports Visibility, Mouserects and NoCrash... Next is Platforms, then Effects (which I'm not sure how to do yet... Would be ok to let the user enter the filename manually, I think...).

attachtool1_zpscec4adfc.jpg

edit. Platforms finished
edit2. Effects finished. I won't support adding library objects for now. Next on are the ominous FSX Materials! haha!

Last edited:
Thanks, man. But don't get excited too soon. It's weekends so I've got the time to spend :D:D But don't expect much progress on weekdays. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Just don't hurry, make it proper and accurate. Fingers cross for this wonderful work.

I can assist with testing and such. Im still learning python so I wont be muchh help with coding. I have worked on updating older 2.49 scripts but its not as clear cut as it sounds. Some parts work, others dont.

Im still learning python so I wont be muchh help with coding. I have worked on updating older 2.49 scripts but its not as clear cut as it sounds. Some parts work, others dont.

I'm learning blender python myself as I go. Quite a steep learning curve, I must say. Are you working on Marginal's Export script?

Last edited:
Felix...

You're doing great! I guess this will give huge impetus to the FSX development from Blender...!

But, what is the export format right now? Still .X as usual? And is MCX still used?

Regards, keep up the GREAT work!

But, what is the export format right now? Still .X as usual? And is MCX still used?

When I finish the FSX Materials, I will start with an Exporter for .X and .XANIM. You will then be able to compile a model with XToMDL as per the SDK. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Last edited:
When I finish the FSX Materials, I will start with an Exporter for .X and .XANIM. You will then be able to compile a model with XToMDL as per the SDK. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

If you can do that, I think MCX can also add function to it. I havent messed with the animations of FS much so cant say.

I do believe those are the scripts I was working on. Either those or Sean's. I have 2 different sets of FSX scripts for blender pre 2.5. Neither set work since they were written in Python 2 and Blender post 2.5 is python 3.

Confirmed, they were marginals scripts.

Thanks a lot guys for your work ! I'm still using Blender 2.49, but I know I will have to switch to 2.69 :(

So it's nice to know someone is putting his efforts to implement the converter Blender>FSX !!!

I don't know when I'll start to study Blender 2,69 ... but I know it will not be an easy task (for an old, obsolete mechanical engineer ;( ) ...

Thanks again folks !!
Paolo

2.69 is not hard, the key commands are pretty much the same. The major difference is the UI. That can be retaught with a couple of tutorials.

I used multiple versions before 2.5 and since the 2.5 ui change, I never looked back. it is much easier to use and find what you are looking for in 2.5+

btw capt_x what theme are you using? its not the default. the tool pane is too xparent to be default theme

Last edited:
2.69 is not hard ....

Sorry, kevin, but since I come from blender 2.49, I'm quite confused with 2.69 :(

The meshes editing isn't that difficult ... what I find difficult is the use of image textures, which was straightforward with 2.49 !

For instance I'm not absolutely capable to understand how to obtain an alpha face !!!The official Blender documentation is very difficult to understand ... and I'm afraid it still make reference to previous releases.

And what about the "double sidede faces" ???

Do you know of any tutorial which may help an old, dull guy as I am ???

Scigera,

I remember stepping from 2.49 to 2.5x, it was difficult. Therefore, I switched back to 2.49. I think I came back to the new UI when 2.6x came.
2.49 felt very nice at the time. Anyway, switching to the new Blender will prove successfull. Though I understand the differences you're struggeling with.

Keep up;)
We can give support!

Sorry, kevin, but since I come from blender 2.49, I'm quite confused with 2.69 :(

The meshes editing isn't that difficult ... what I find difficult is the use of image textures, which was straightforward with 2.49 !

For instance I'm not absolutely capable to understand how to obtain an alpha face !!!The official Blender documentation is very difficult to understand ... and I'm afraid it still make reference to previous releases.

And what about the "double sidede faces" ???

Do you know of any tutorial which may help an old, dull guy as I am ???

test-version of exporter added

*bump* I've added a "pre-beta" version of the exporter in the first post. Feedback welcome!

Back