• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Blender Tool-set Beta For FSX/P3D Test Files

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Blender users!

I have finally by the grace of my Lord And Savor Jesus Christ fixed all of my errors. And now have a working beta version of the tool-set that should run with FSX and P3D. I do not have Steams version of the sim, but if someone can get me the file path structure I can probable get it working for Steam as well.

I have to say, it is a big change coming from Java to Python. I am probably going to insult and upset a lot of python programmers, but I have to say to me it is a very unstructured and unforgiving language to program in. The language is completely controlled by spacing, and I say spacing because if you forget and mix a tab instead of using 4 white spaces for indent you are in big trouble. I LOVE " {}"!!!!!!!!!!

Remember this is a beta test of the updated tool-set. "SO DO NOT USE THIS TOOL-SET ON A WORKING PROJECT" If you do make sure it is a copy of the project.

The new version allows for FSX SDK auto detect. At this time I do not have it setup of auto detect P3D. The P3D SDK must be manually located. The ModelDef.xml file can be chosen in both FSX, and P3D.

To install and test the new version of the tool-set, I would suggest making a backup of your add-on scripts and copping the to a new location.
upload_2017-7-7_23-1-55.png

Next delete them from the add-on folder.
upload_2017-7-7_23-4-51.png

Now open Blender and click on "User Preferences" if you see the add-on still in the add-on. Just uncheck them and close Blender and re-open it. You will see a widow like the below. Click on Install from file button.
upload_2017-7-7_23-7-29.png

Now navigate to where you downloaded the Beta version of the new tool-set. It will be a .zip file. Then click on "Intall from file" button.

upload_2017-7-7_23-11-47.png

Now for some reason after to do this and the User Preferences window re-opens you will so only on part of the tool-set. Don't worry all you have to do is close Blender and re-start it.
upload_2017-7-7_23-14-21.png

when you restart Blender and open the User Preferences you will see all three of the files for the tool-set.
upload_2017-7-7_23-16-52.png

Now just make sure to check all of the check boxes for the tool-set and then click on the "Save Usere Settings" Button. The tool-set should now be ready to use.
upload_2017-7-7_23-18-27.png

When you open the Blender2FSX tool-set tab you will see some new buttons. The first one is "Project Info Button" this button is still under construction. But when it if complete it will give you a pop-up window with the information that the verify project does. But it will give you the information in a pop-up window. With the option to write to file.
upload_2017-7-7_23-21-35.png

Further down the tool window you will see a new tab named "FSX SDK Path". Here you will be able to choose if you want to use the "Auto Detect SDK for FSX" by clicking the "initialize Toolset" with the "Auto Detect SDK" clicked. At this time the auto detect will work only with FSX. This will change in the future to include P3D. Below that you will see another button named "Manually Find SDK and a check box that allows you to choose if the SDK is P3D. Also make sure that the "Auto Detect SDK" is unchecked. If the "Manually Find SDK" button is clicked with the "Use P3D SDK" not checked it will allow you to manually find your SDK for FSX. If you click the "Manually Find SDK" button with the "Use P3d SDK" it will be expecting you to choose the SDK for P3D.
upload_2017-7-7_23-28-24.png

If the "initialize Toolset" button is clicked with the "Auto Detect SDK" you will get a pop-up window warning the that you need to manually choose the SDK path.
upload_2017-7-7_23-40-31.png

See part 2

Part 2:

When choosing the SDK path for FSX make sure that you only choose upto the \SDK folder. If click on any folder beyond that point will get an error. "See Image Below"
upload_2017-7-7_23-49-26.png

When choosing the SDK path for P3D make sure that you only go the the folder that has the version only! (See Image Below for example). I will be making an update to show in the left window how much of the P3D that to choose. I just forgot to add that before I zipped the beta version after testing it. And I did not have enough time to make the changes and then test the tool-set all over again before I re-leased the test beta version for this week-end like I said that I would do.
upload_2017-7-7_23-57-9.png

When choosing the path for the ModelDef file navigate and click on the actual modeldef.xml file and then click the "Manually Find ModelDef File" Button.
upload_2017-7-8_0-6-43.png

I will not release this version in my main thread until enough people have tested and and no bugs are found. Please let me know if any errors a found. And please make an image of the Blender python console printout of the error.

Thanks, Kris

Here is the Beta Tool-set .zip file.

Blender2FSXP3D_0902 :Beta File upload Date: 07/13/2017
Fixes:

1. Z-Test Alpha Fixed
2. Specular Hardness Fixed
3. Specular Map Value (Works)

Blender2FSXP3D_0903 :Beta File upload Date: 07/25/2017
Fixes:

1. Allows for both FSX and P3D versions to be auto detected
2. Allows for both FSX and P3D version to be found manually.
(NOTE: If you choose to manually choose the SDK, you must also manually choose the path of the modelDef.xml file.)

Link to my test file: http://www.kp-coolstuff.com/downloads/SpecularTest1.zip
Thanks, Kris

Attachments

• testZTestAlpha.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 451
  • Blender2FSXP3D_0903.zip
    63.8 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:
Hello Krispy,

I congratulate you for your work of perfecting Blender to FSX and P3D! A huge thank you! I used your Blender2FSX v0.88 to create and complete a large Morane D-3801 modeling project. On sale since yesterday ...!

I will test your new Beta Tool-set and I'll keep you informed ....!

BRAVO...!

Hi Chrismot!

What SDK are you trying to use? Going by the errors that is telling me that the SDK path was not correct. I was only able to test the tool-set with P3D v3 and it worked good. If you are using P3D make sure when you are choosing the SDK path that you only choose the file up to the version of the SDK.

Path Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 SDK 3.3.5.17625\

If you are using FSX SDK and you are manually finding the SDK path make sure that you choose the file up to the SDK.

Path Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\

Let me know if you get it working.

Thanks, Kris!

Hi Kris,

I just used the automatic version of FSX ...! The result is above ...

I then tried the manual version of the SDK of P3Dv4. Same result!

I also specify that I use, for the tests, a model that compiles perfectly with the version Blender2FSX v088, and also with the version Blender2P3Dv4 v017

Last edited:
Chrismot!

Could you send me your test file so that I can see if I can reproduce your errors.

If you have Skype we could share screens so that I could see what is actually going on.

Thanks, Kris

Chrismot!

Also did you completely delete all old versions of the tool-set the your Blender's add-on folder. I have noticed that if you do not start with new files that Blender sometimes does not use the correct version. It will keep a cache of the old file and use them.

Thanks, Kris

Kris,

Yes, I did that! A new installation of your version of BlenderToFSXP3D. I sent you an email ...

Hi Chris!

I just sent an e-mail explaining what I found. I had to transfer you project to a new Blender file to get it to work. I could get only your normal animations to work because I do not have a copy of your ModelDef file. I think you have an issue with corrupt layers. I exported your project using P3D version: Prepar3D v3 SDK 3.3.5.17625 with no errors.

Thanks, Kris

Hi Blender users!

Here is a link to a short video I made on how to do a clean install of the tool-set for FSX/P3D

Thanks, Kris

Krispy,

Thanks for redoing the Blender to FSX to include P3D. I see there was an issue with anims and possibly mouse rectangles. Here is an update that I have tested on a small project. It was my P3D test case, and had p3d_animations - ie. labeled as p3d_anims rather than fsx_anims.

I also added selection for P3D v3 and before and P3D v4 - v4 has a different folder structure.

Please feel free to use (or not). Others this is a small update that should allow uses of my Blender2P3D version to work in the new Blender2FSX.

Please use on test projects - If you over write your P3D version with this program it will NOT work in my Blender2P3D, as it renames parts to fsx and destroys the p3d parts.

View attachment 35867

edit:

ron's version removed - code is in new beta - 2017-07-10

Last edited:
Hi Kris and Ronh,

It works...!!! :) For P3D v3 and P3D v4 ... I was only forgetting to initialize the Toolset.

But, on the other hand, the Auto Detect SDK for FSX does not work!

ErrBlend.png

Hi Chris!

Good to hear! But not good that the Auto Detect SDK for FSX is not working. The error that you have posted has nothing to do with the Auto detect SDK function. I will look into it and see what I can find. But on my system, I get no errors using the Auto Detect SDK for the FSX SDK. Remember that function does not work for P3D yet. I am working on that code. As more people start testing the tool-set we will see if anyone else can get that same error.

Thanks, Kris

Hi Kris and Ronh,

It works...!!! :) For P3D v3 and P3D v4 ... I was only forgetting to initialize the Toolset.

But, on the other hand, the Auto Detect SDK for FSX does not work!

View attachment 35869
Ok, I tested the updates that was made by Mr. Ronh. And I get the very same error that you did when I tried to use the "Auto Detect SDK" for FSX. I will look into it an see why it is doing that.

Thanks, Kris

I do not have Steams version of the sim, but if someone can get me the file path structure I can probable get it working for Steam as well.

This is my steam FSX file path for your reference:
F:\Flight Simulators\steamapps\common\FSX

Blue=The folder created by myself in F drive
Red = Actual steam file path created by steam itself when installing FSX

I no longer have FSX SDK installed. but please check

bpy.context.scene.fsx_modeldefpath = ''.join([sdkdir,"Environment Kit\\Modeling SDK\\bin\\modeldef.xml"])

you may need (or we need to check for ending slash):

bpy.context.scene.fsx_modeldefpath = ''.join([sdkdir,"\Environment Kit\\Modeling SDK\\bin\\modeldef.xml"])

an extra backslash at the beginning. See what you have in your registry for FSX SDK. Yoi make have:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\FSD SDK\ <- note the trailing slash so joining is.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\FSD SDK\ + \Environment Kit\\Modeling SDK\\bin\\modeldef.xml

review what I changed in other P3D parts. The double slashes for python escape sequences.

#print("Use P3d = False")
# single slash below due to join has slash at end of sdkTree
XToMdl = ''.join([self.sdkTree, "\Environment Kit\\Modeling SDK\\3DSM7\\Plugins\\XToMdl.exe"])
modeldef = bpy.context.scene.fsx_modeldefpath ##kp
bglComp = ''.join([self.sdkTree, "\Environment Kit\\BGL Compiler SDK\\BglComp.exe"])

Chris,

The p3d_anims error is due to the animation p3d issues. So we may need to put my check.

bpy.context.scene.fsx_anims.clear()
try:
#this gets rid of p3d stuff from older version of blender2p3d
bpy.context.scene.p3d_anims.clear()
except:
print("p3d_anims found - fixing")

edit : updated above link. FSX changes

Last edited:
Back