1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling FSDS developers

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by arno, 20/7/09.

1. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I am in the process of finishing the FSC reader for ModelConverterX (after that I will move to the FSC writer), but I have a few part of the reader that I want to test more. For this I would like to ask FSDS developers to give me some sample files to test.

I am especially looking for simple test cases for the following situations:

• The model part is rotated, I mean not the vertices but the entire part is rotated around some of its axis. I need to make sure those rotations end up OK after reading them from the FSC file.
    • Animated parts. For this a simple scene with some translation and rotation movements would be great for debuging.

If somebody has a simple object laying around or wants to create a simple scene with a few boxes that meet the cases mentioned above I would be very happy :).
  2. warmingham

warmingham

malta
    Animation Experiment

Hi Arno, here is a nice simple animation for you. It's a prototype for a radar dish. 1 texture only. It revolves 360° and on every rotation it moves downwards until the 5th rotation when it then moves back to the top.You may have seen it in the showroom.
    Last edited: 26/9/09
  3. arno

netherlands
    Thanks, that a nice test object. A certainly since now it does not display the animation at all, and the dish is on the ground. So there must be some bug left that I have to hunt down :).
  4. warmingham

warmingham

malta
    Well just to show you that it does work, here are the mdl/xml files. I do hope these work now!
  5. warmingham

warmingham

malta
    Axis of an object

Arno, normally when something like that happens in FSDS it is because the axis is not centred. This object has 3 main parts
    1.dish, box and arm (these 3 are joined),
    2. the pole
    3. the base.
    The dish axis revolves at the end of the dish arm. That is axis is offset above the pole and base. These last 2 have their axis' in the centre.
    Hope this helps.

John aka warmingham
  6. arno

netherlands
    Thanks John. With the FSC and the MDL file it should be possible to figure out where it goes wrong. I was already quite sure it was not correct yet, that's why I wanted more test documents :).
  7. warmingham

warmingham

malta
    Another Animation

Hi Arno, I thought I would send you another small animation. This is a barrier that just goes up and down. Obviously the animation would be continuous.
    Normally I would push it through your CAT program so that it would animate when you approach it (i.e. make a bounding box). I have not included this but you may wish to do so if you want to include this within your ModelConverterX program.
    I have included the following - FSDS fsc file, MDL & XML files. There are no textures just materials, Red, Dark Brown, Dark Grey.

John aka warmingham
  8. arno

netherlands
    Thanks John, also added to me test objects. I think with this I should be able to get things working.