• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Can ADE Polygons Be Used for a Sloped Runway?

CWP

Country
us-nevada
I created a sloped runway with my Rhino CAD and passed it through FSDS to texture and attach a hard surface but inside FSX-SE it hasn't taken on a hard surface. Instead my aircraft suspension vibrates radically when over the sloped runway area. Any ideas?...

CWP

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

IIUC, after export of the 3D object from FSDS you imported this into Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") ? :scratchch

You may wish to try another test by importing the 3D object into MCX to attach a "Platform" with hardened 'concrete' attribute to it.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX#Attached_object_editor

In areas where you decide to use FS SDK Resample photo-real textures instead of a G-Poly, you may also wish to use the MCX "XML Apron to SurfaceType converter" to 'smooth' the user aircraft 'ground-roll' attribute of under-lying terrain within a specified polygon area:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX#XML_Apron_to_SurfaceType_converter

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

CWP

Country
us-nevada
Thanks Gary, I forgot about using MCX for attaching objects, I've just been using the PartDataDefs plugin in FSDS. MCX gives some awesome options like hardening all the surfaces at once and it is what I will use from here on out.

The problem still exists after using MCX but it was a nice conformation that the PartDataDefs plugin in FSDS was working correctly, I was beginning to wonder... The problem occurs in FSX-SE & P3Dv2.5. I have changed the airport elevation from its peak where MS originally had it down 65 feet lower to more closely represent the true elevation (most of the airport is at the lower elevation) The 65 feet is the slope of the cross wind runway. I have tried it with and without the ADE ALT_BGL in the World\Scenery folder. I'm stumped!...

CWP

CWP

Country
us-nevada
KEKO, Elko, NV

MS had the original elevation at 5145 which is the peak of the sloping crosswind runway. Most of the main airport is around the 5080 elevation.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

Looks like that will be an interesting project for you. ;)

I'll bet that there is a significant "pilot's pucker-factor" taking off (or landing) on either KEKO RWYs 12 or 30 with a full load on a hot day with a strong, gusting, headwind ...at nearly a 1-mile ASL Altitude ! :eek:

FYI: I am assuming you are familiar with the fact that AI traffic will only work on perfectly flat and level surfaces in FS, ADE RWYs are, as intended by the author, "perfectly flat and level surfaces", and thus do not work on sloped RWYs.

However, a "sloped flatten" terrain polygon can be made in ADE (and other scenery utilities such as SBuilderX); simply set the Altitude for each vertex individually along the course of the polygon edge.

This "sloped flatten" terrain polygon will over-ride the local terrain mesh and give you a standard FS default terrain surface which is of course, already "hardened".

This terrain surface can then be textured by default or custom land class textures, including FS SDK Resample custom photo-real aerial imagery of that location (which technically is a 'special' form of land class).

BTW: If instead you make a copy of the existing surface of your 3D model as a separate 3D entity, and successfully make that the "platform" with a 'hardened' concrete attribute which is super-imposed over- and attached to- the top of your KEKO RWYs 12-30 main 3D model, you need not make a sloped flatten below the sloped RWY area, as once the top surface has been successfully 'hardened', it should prevent user aircraft from "falling through" the terrain surface.

Hope this helps a bit more ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

CWP

Country
us-nevada
Thanks Gary, it did help! I got to thinking after I read your post about hardening the tunnel model I have created instead of the runway model. The tunnel model was just suppose to be a local model covering the area around the tunnel that goes under the sloped runway. What I did was expand the polygons to cover the entire sloped area and hardened all of them, put the runway model over the top and all is well. The VRS F/A-18E takes off fine (the non flared landing is a bit harsh but she's made for em!) a 737 falls a little short my first try but I think I can do it with a little practice. In all reality I have never seen any commercial aircraft on the sloped crosswind runway, I've only seen small private aircraft use it.

The way I've sloped the upper airport into the lower airport will allow AI AC access to a majority of the airport which is important to what I'm trying to do here. This model is all about the local scenery with my CAD work.

Thanks much!
CWP