1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i loft multiple lines at once (3ds max 9)

Discussion in 'GMax and 3DS Max' started by Aviasim, 27/4/12.

1. Aviasim

Aviasim

unitedkingdom
    Hi,

As some of you know I am working on KSLC, this place has LOTS of ground markings which I can use loft technique for:

Taxiway centrelines
    taxiway edge lines
    road edge marks
    apron marks

and all the other red and green ground markings...

I have used the line tool in 3ds max to trace all of these, and this has left me with way over 300 lines that I would need to loft, unwrap UVW and scale texture... doing this one by one is tedious.

Is there a way I can loft multiple lines at once using the same co-ordinates? I have fount one way, this was just an experiment but I had one small 90 degree curved line and a long straight line, I attached them, applied the texture then used unwrap UVW to scale the texture so it's more detail, this was okay except the small 90 degree curved line's texture was extremely crushed and compressed whilst the other long line looked ok. If I scaled the UVW so the texture looked fine on the small 90 degree curve, the texture on the long lofted path looks all stretched, so the question, can I do this so the texture on all the lofts look the same no matter what the size difference?

Regards
  2. delivery guy

delivery guy

unitedstates
    Attach all lines that use the same texture, then us uvw map and apply a plane at a ratio 1 to 1. Then convert to poly and add a UVW unwrap and all of your part will be a 1 to 1 ratio including the curve lines. So make a big texture that has curves and straight lines.

I don't have to pre map them since these parts don't overlap. So just move each one into place. I would break up your 300 lines into groups too, since you probably only need 1 texture for all lines.

DG:D
    Last edited: 27/4/12
  3. Aviasim

Aviasim

unitedkingdom
    Yes, there is just one texture used for the taxiway centrelines, this is however a texture sheet which contains other coloured ground markings such as, yellow, red, white and green... when using unwrap UVW on one single lofted line, i move the vertexes over to the texture part where the taxiway centreline texture is... I don't know if you will understand this though, I just hate the idea of doing each and every loft one by one
  4. delivery guy

delivery guy

unitedstates
    Then next time make your parts for each piece with textures done. Then place them all over the airport. Either way your moving each part once.....hehe