1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can one 'switch out' Autogen objects?

Discussion in 'Autogen' started by lionheart, 13/4/12.

1. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Hey all,

Lets say I wish to switch out a house model that is an Autogen for one that I have created.

Is this possible? Or are Autogen objects written in stone, unable to be changed, improved, etc.

This is for FSX / P3D.

Bill
  2. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    Just have to place your object above the autogen building and this kindly will desapear. (just have to touch the building) when I wanted make desapear some misplaced autogen building I uses little trees or shrub even.
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Bill,

The answer above helps to replace one instance with your own building. Or do you want to change all instances with your new object?
  4. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona

Hey Arno,

Complete replacement on all of 'that' object.

Like lets say, there is an autogen regular object, called simple house 44 or something that Autogen uses in North Amerca in FSX / P3D. Can I change it so that ALL of that 'simple house 44' objects will now be a new shape/object.

I wish to experiment with Autogen and make changes to houses and some buildings.

Bill
  5. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    Hi Bill,

You are then entering the quagmire of altering core files.

If it's just for your own use, and the object in question is itself a mdl (not a procedural building) then it would be a matter of seeking it out and perhaps altering the library, using the same GUID.

Altering autogen core files for distribution though is fraught with problems.

As an example, I think you owe it to customers that any system you employ backs up and saves their files ... and if they have other add-ons that do the same ... well, you start to get the picture!

Messy.
  6. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Ahhh so... Thanks for the heads up.

I would still like to try it. I'll have to track down a house BGL (where ever they live) and see about altering it.

I was looking through the system trying to find them. I didnt quite realise the massive bulk of the files in scenery. My goodness man!
  7. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    You know what could be cool is to find a way to write a programming string that says 'place this GUID thing at all of the locations that 'that' GUID thing is at'. Then you wouldnt be messing with core data, and could remove said 'this for that' program pack from the sim and its all back to normal.
  8. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    I see I can hand edit the main XML file of scenery which has all the names and GUID sets for the scenery parts.

But... If the various SPB's have separate call signs for GUID's, then I am out of luck, as the GUID's need to be changed in all of the scenery SPB files, correct? Or does the SPB's have only the names of the scenery and not the GUID's?
  9. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Bill,

Are you sure it is not a procedural building you are looking at? Many of the autogen buidlings are generated by the engine and not from library objects.
  10. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    Give us the exact lat-long of an example object, and a screenshot, and then we can see what you wish to change, and how to do it.

Dick
  11. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Arno, I think you are right. From what I was reading last night, the buildings are auto-generated from nothing, no base models. They are like extrusions with roofs on them.

I thought I could make the houses in FS look like the ones in X-Plane 10.

Bill