1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Export Collada File to FS9

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by tgibson, 8/1/10.

1. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi guys,

I've started playing with SketchUp, since it might be one way to get people to build scenery without having to learn GMAX. :)

I have created a simple test building, exported it into a COLLADA (.dae) file, and loaded it into MDX, complete with textures (eventually). So far, so good.

Now I tried to export it as an FS9 MDL file, and I get this error:

Running model

Start! (C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test.x)
    Loading X C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test.x...
    Processing...
    (Part Part2) Found colinear vertices within triangle
    (45.854000,30.077000,-25.559000)
    (45.854000,-0.403000,-25.559000)
    (45.854000, 5.710000,-25.559000).
    (Part Part2) Found colinear vertices within triangle
    (45.854000,30.077000,-25.559000)
    (45.854000, 5.710000,-25.559000)
    (45.854000,25.902000,-25.559000).
    Model units are 1024.00 units/meter
    Sorting by Material...
    Optimize Parts...
    Welding...
    Generate BGL...
    Done!
    Assembling: C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test.azm
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(29) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_top
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(120) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_NonAlpha
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(128) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_skip_1
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(133) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_masterfrm_1
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(135) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_skip_2
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(137) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_skip_3
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(139) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_skip_4
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(141) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_skip_5
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(143) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_skip_6
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(147) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_frm2_2
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(166) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_frm3_3
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(179) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_frm4_4
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(188) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_frm5_5
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(199) : error A2008: syntax error : Test_frm1_6
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(226) : error A2008: syntax error : Test
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(122) : error A2206: missing operator in expression
    IFMSK(4): Macro Called From
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(122): Include File
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(122) : error A2206: missing operator in expression
    ERRS16(1): Macro Called From
    IFMSK(7): Macro Called From
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(122): Include File
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(126) : error A2206: missing operator in expression
    BGL_CALL_32(4): Macro Called From
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(126): Include File
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(134) : error A2206: missing operator in expression
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(134): Include File
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(136) : error A2206: missing operator in expression
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(136): Include File
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(138) : error A2206: missing operator in expression
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(138): Include File
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(140) : error A2206: missing operator in expression
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(140): Include File
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(142) : error A2206: missing operator in expression
    C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\My Sketchups\KBUR Test\KBUR Test_0.asm(142): Include File
    Error!

I used the Ignore Warnings checkbox to get past the colocated vertices warnings.

I checked and I am able to Export an old M98 to BGL API aircraft I've used as a test object before - MDX creates the MDL file just fine. I am using the latest development version as of tonight.

I've attached the project in case someone wants to take a look.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Attached Files:

Last edited: 8/1/10
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Tom,

I have changed the COLLADA reader a little bit, since there were some warnings about degenerated polygons, these are now filtered out. This change will be available in the development release of tomorrow.

But I think the biggest problem was that you can not use a MDL filename with a space in it when you are working with the FS2004 MakeMDL, this will result in incorrect ASM code and the errors you had.

With these two changes I can export your object fine.
  3. arno

netherlands
    Hi Tom,

I have improved the FS2004 exporter a bit now. It will now automatically prevent these errors, also if you export to a file name with a space in there. Besides that the compiler now runs in batch mode, so the window does no longer appear. Will also be in the next development release.
  4. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi,

Oops! Forgot about the space - that bit me in GMAX several years ago, but it was too long ago.

Sorry for the stupid error, but glad I could make the program more resistant to clods like me. :)

Thanks a lot,
  5. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Another question - my textures were changed from things like Tile_roof.jpg and KBUR_Terminal.bmp to texture0.jpg and texture1.bmp. Is there a way to avoid this? I do know how to change them back in the Materials dialog.

Thanks,
  6. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

I think that is due to the way Sketchup exports it, as far as I know it is not possible to change that. But I would have to look deeper into the Sketchup options to be sure about that.
  7. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Thanks. In that case, it would sure be nice to have a way of saving these texture name changes, since they are lost each time you load the .dae file. With a complex building with many textures, that will become very tedious upon multiple edits of the building.

Thanks,
  8. robystar

robystar

Heartily agree.
  9. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

First I will see if there is a way to keep the names from Sketchup. Else it would indeed be a nice function in ModelConverterX to make this texture editing easier, I will think about it. Having an automatic conversion from the JPG format that Sketchup uses to BMP/DDS is already on my list as well.
  10. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
  11. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    I will have to go through your tutorial a couple of times. I've gotten kind of stuck on the materials/texturing working on my own. I thought of creating my own 1024x1024 texture sheet with various textures in it. I was able to apply my texture but each usage creates a new texture file when you export it. Also in one case it exported just a subset of my 1024 sheet defeating the purpose. Then I couldn't see any easy way to do my night texture.

scott s.
  12. arno

netherlands
    Hi Scott,

That is interesting (and would be bad for FS), let me see if I can reproduce your results.
  13. arno

netherlands
    Hi Scott,

As long as I do not use the "Make unique texture" function, it seems to use the texture sheet that I provide to it and it does not extract pieces from that texture.
  14. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi,

Yes, I avoid that choice. Seems to work fine for me too, although I have no idea why they rename the textures upon file export - perhaps the .dae file has no space for texture names?

Thanks,
  15. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi,

Another request. :rolleyes:

When you export your model as a .dae file with the Export Textures box checked, Sketchup creates a new folder with the same name as your .dae file and puts the exported textures into that. So unless you add this folder to your texture loading path or move the .dae file into this folder, you will not see the textures on your building when you load it into MCX.

Could MCX automatically look for textures in a folder with the same name as the .dae file?

Thanks,
  16. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

I asked at the Sketchup forum and it seems to be a limitation of Sketchup at the moment. I have proposed a change request so that the original texture names can be preserved, but I don't expect such a change to happen soon.
  17. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

I think that should be possible, let me take a look at it.
  18. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

I have made the change and you'll find it in the development release of tomorrow.
  19. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Thanks Arno! :)
  20. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    Saves one more step in doing the conversion. thanks

scott s.