• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Can't get any height out of my buildings...

Country
unitedstates
Created some nice size rectangles and I have been trying to get 4-8 story buildings out of them with no luck. Always coming out 1-2 stories.

1. Creating this on top of photoreal scenery (no issues with landclass, right?)
2. Using SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|FROMFILE=Downtown.shp;*|0.0;0.0;1.0;1.0
The four sets of numbers are: 1-2 / 3-4/ 5-6/ 7+ floors right? (or there abouts). That is to say, taller buildings should have numbers skewed more towards the right-side , correct?
3. Tried some different roofs and some different side building textures

So far no luck... where am I going wrong here?

Thx

Country
unitedstates
Could someone using scenPROC verify that building height is working. Take a building or a group of buildings and try the smallest setting and the tallest setting.
I have put in:

SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|FROMFILE=Downtown.shp;*|1.0;0.0;0.0;0;0 for the lowest height

and then went to the other end of the scale

SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|FROMFILE=Downtown.shp;*|0.0;0.0;0.0;1.0 for the tallest

and I am not seeing any changes taking place. I know it's a "sliding scale" but I should see some changes? Probably something wrong on my end but just trying to verify.

Thanks,

CLutch

Wouldn't the height settings show up in Annotator's Properties?
Just be aware that there's a sweet spot for taller building footprints, too big or too small and they'll revert to 1/2.

Country
unitedstates
Thx for the reply. Sounds like you are saying take a look at the data using the Autogen Annotator? If so I was not using AA just scenPROC. (haven't looked at that tool in years. Maybe I need to break that out?) But even if it came out at 1/2 that means I would see at least some buildings at 3-6 stories maybe. All are 1-2?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

How big are your polygons? As mention before if the width is less than circa 20 meters you never get more than 1 or 2 floors. And very big buildings fall into the warehouse category, these are also low.

Country
unitedstates
I am creating footprints off an image of a little southwest US city, Albuquerque, New Mexico for testing. I am not using annotator but Adobe Illustrator to quickly create a few rectangle shapes. Export them as DXF. Convert that to SHP in QGIS and they show up nicely. Had to add back in LAT/LON. And they seem to process ok in scenPROC.

The shapes I created should equal about a typical 4-8 story building I would think (and just checking with photos). They are larger than houses or 20 meters. I also created several large warehouse footprints in an industrial area. Now those warehouses do appear at 1-2 stores as expected. It's just every building turns out as 1-2 stories no matter what I set the heights to?

I have attached the file(s). It has proper coordinates but would need to add projection.

Attachments

• DowntownBuildings.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 207
Country
unitedstates
Ok, I think I found what is going on here. If I put in the line as such:

SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|*|0.0;0.5;0.5;0;0

It will work and give me good building height. However if I try to tell scenPROC which shp file to set the heights to like:

SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|FROMFILE=Downtown.shp;*|0.0;0.0;0.0;1;0 or

SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|FROMFILE=Downtown.shp|0.0;0.0;0.0;1;0

I get no height change and scenPROC reports it as:

"Set autogen building heigth to 0 cells"

So is this a bug or am I asking for an option that is not available? If this is not a bug can we add it it as an option as I would like to run several different files at once each with their own height settings.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Might be a bug. You downtown file contains polygons?

Country
unitedstates
As an update, yes the downtown does contain polygons. I noticed that if I use a step such as

"SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|"SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|FROMFILE=Downtown.shp|0.0;0.0;0.0;1;0"Downtown.shp|0.0;0.0;0.0;1;0"

it will result in "Set autogen building height to 0 cells", however if I use:

"SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|*|0.0;0.0;0.0;1;0", it will work correctly. This is only if I am using one imported SHP file. If I use more than one SHP file I can separate them with the "FROMFILE=" attribute and it appears to work correctly.

Just double-checking. I think you said only one height can be set per one 1.2km autogen tile? Or can they be broken down by shp file?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Let me check if a bug slipped in then.

The height is set per autogen tile indeed. So if you test against polygons the tool checks if the centre of the tile is inside the polygon.