1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't install SDK on Win 7

Discussion in 'SDK installation' started by ranbd, 18/8/11.

1. ranbd

ranbd

Hi guys
    i was trying to install FSX SDK on a 64 bit win 7 machine.
    Are there are known issues with it ?
    It created all the relevant directories, but that's about it.

Let me know

Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: 18/8/11
  2. hairyspin

hairyspin Resource contributor

unitedkingdom
    Turn off the UAC - or better still, install to a directory outside of Program Files (x86).
  3. littleMax

littleMax

germany
  4. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    Installation of the Fsx in C:/programs make a lot of problems, the order and completness of ths Sdk service update installation is important too, and then check the installation in the Dll file in the C:/users/name/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX
    <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
    <Disabled>false</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>D:\Flight Simulator X\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
    <Disabled>false</Disabled>
    <Path>D:\Flight Simulator X\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Path>D:\Flight Simulator X\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    More or less... As good news I must say once the installation is Ok all will work pretty well
  5. ranbd

ranbd

Thanks to all the replies

1. I re-installed outside of PF directory.

My issue, after installing the SDK Tools do not appear in the menu.
    no DLL was created in C:\Users\ran\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

I installed FSX + sp 1 + sp2 , and SDK sp 1 + 2.

Any ideas ?
  6. littleMax

littleMax

germany
    Last edited: 18/8/11
  7. Tejal Bernardo

Tejal Bernardo

spain
    " ...Viewing
    .xml files are hidden by default.

To see dll.xml you must have enabled Show Hidden Files and Folders.
    Could be that ?¡¡:confused:
  8. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Are you looking for FSX tools in Gmax? If so, go into Scripts, start a script, and locate the FSX Tools script. You will probably have to do it 3 to 4 times before it activates, and shows on the top toolbar. Every now and then, it will auto-show, perhaps 3 times in a row, then stops altogether again for another cycle..
  9. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Question. Are we good to go with creating a Programs folder in Win7 64 (or 86) and installing the SDK there, or will that cause conflicts?

I have been hearing that creation of a Program Files folder in Win7 64 is the route to go.

I do not have Win7 yet, but plan on getting it in the near future. It would be nice to have this information ready when the switch over is made.
  10. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    I think the best (simplest) thing to do is to jump off the C: drive altogether.

Simply change the drive letter to (D: in my case) for FSX and the SDK.

This keeps the frequently changing FSX files off your system drive, and enables you to customise your storage based on developing needs (ie SSD, RAID array, Velociraptors, or whatever)

So everytime I install a new Lionheart plane, I don't have to worry about running out of FSX space! If I do, I can simply upgrade my FSX volume!

Source files live on a third drive for me (Gmax files, source textures, photoreal source psb files etc)

Bill. I love Win7 x64 now. It is simply the best option out there. There is no tool or driver that does not work for me (so far)
  11. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I have all my FS related files in C:\flightsim and that works fine. It is a long time ago that I decided to not use the program files folder :).
  12. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    With W7 you may find it impossible to use Windows Explorer to browse to the SDK folder. If this happens, use FreeCommander to browse the DVD.
  13. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    Hmm, my favourite (paid for) Visual C++ .NET 7 doesn't work on W7 :mad:
  14. hairyspin

hairyspin Resource contributor

unitedkingdom
    Bill, 64-bit Windows 7 has two program folders: one is for 32-bit programs - Program Files (x86) - and the other for 64-bit programs - Program Files.

Both folders are protected by the system under the User Access Control (UAC) and unless you turn the UAC off, it constantly nags you any time a file is created, modified or deleted in either of these folders or any of their sub-folders. You can imagine how wearisome this gets while developing.

If FSX, its SDK, gmax etc are installed to a folder outwith these program folders, this hassle is avoided. BTW, I too am a fan of Windows 7 and highly recommend it.
    HTH

@Golf-HotelDelta: that's why I retained XP on another HD and run a dual-boot system.
    Last edited: 20/8/11
  15. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    Even WITH UAC off you can run into "permissions issues". Move the folder and have a simple life.

There is also "XP Mode" for those die-hard applications that won't run.

One of the applications we use at work requires IE6 to work (runs quite nicely in a virtual shell)
  16. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    If you are the only user of the computer, set your account's security levels to "Super Administrator."

Also, there is a little known special username that WinXP, Vista, and Win7 will allow: "Everyone." I set up global permission for "Everyone" to have full read/write access to every nook and cranny of every hard drive on every computer.

Problems solved.

Even so, I still install everything sim related to anywhere besides the stinking ..\Program Files areas.

Since I now have a total of eight computers on my local network, I need to have the ability to access any folder on any computer from any computer I happen to be sitting at! :eek:
    Last edited: 21/8/11
  17. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    None of the above will help if you cannot browse the DVDs ;)
  18. n4gix

unitedstates
    I've never encountered that problem with any of the three OS's I run here. I just installed the FSX Acceleration SDK on a brand new i7-2600k running Win7 Home Premium with no problems at all.
  19. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    It happened to me after a W7 update which I was able to uninstall. However, it re-ocurred after installing SP1.
  20. n4gix

unitedstates
    It seems like Microsoft can't help themselves. With every "update" they manage to break something else... :rolleyes: