1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't run Simconnect samples

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by oliver_mpt, 8/1/08.

1. oliver_mpt

oliver_mpt

france
    Hi everybody,

I have a PC running XP SP2 with FSX and SDK update 1 and 2 installed. I use visual C++ 2005.

I tried to run the compiled executable samples that come with the SDK - no way - I get an incorrect configuration - reinstall application message. I have recompiled the samples (I have read the post on this forum about the platform issue, mine is win32) and although the compilation and buid is fine, the sample would not run - same problem.

Any help highly welcome !
  2. jimkeir

jimkeir

unitedkingdom
    Hi,

Check your event log. Each of those 'configuration incorrect' messages will have a matching eventlog entry, detailing exactly what's missing.

It'll either be the MSVC runtimes (unlikely) or SimConnect itself (more likely). If it's SimConnect, try running SimConnect.msi. Failing that, check around in the forums; this has happened before.

HTH
    Jim
  3. oliver_mpt

oliver_mpt

france
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the fast answer. Sorry for the dumb question, but can you indicate which event log you are talking about ?

Oliver
  4. oliver_mpt

oliver_mpt

france
    Problem solved but not fully understood.

I digged a bit in the SDK tree and found that in addition to /inc and /lib folders, I had a /LegacyInterfaces folder containing FSX-RTM and FSX-SP1 folders. In these, there were .dll .lib .h and .msi files. I ran the .msi from FSX-RTM folder that reinstalled simconnect, and I changed the .h and .lib in my project by those in the FSX-RTM folders.

It now works, but what is that tree structures and all these versions ?
  5. jimkeir

jimkeir

unitedkingdom
    Hi,

Those files are the older (Legacy) versions of SimConnect. They're provided to allow you to compile against any version of SimConnect you want to. Otherwise, you would only be able to compile for the version you have installed. Normally you can assume that everyone has RTM (at least), but possibly nothing newer, so if you were to compile your code with the Acceleration version of SimConnect it wouldn't work with anything but Acceleration but compiling it for RTM should work everywhere because an older version of SimConnect should be able to work with newer versions of FSX.

The .lib you link to will expect to find a single version of SimConnect.dll; it won't work with any other, and that's what generates the error messages you got. There are ways of writing your app to link to any available version of SimConnect, but it's a little more tricky.

The Event Log can be found by right-clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage" - the event viewer should be one of the items on the left. I don't have one of those errors handy, but I think they appear as "Side by side error" or similar.

Cheers,
    Jim
  6. oliver_mpt

oliver_mpt

france
    Thanks for the explanation Jim,

I did'nt get that the event log was the system log, I thought it was FSX related.

I had a Simconnect version problem. I have one french version of FSX and one english version. I installed the SDK from the english version, while I had installed FSX from the French version. I de-installed the SDK and reinstalled it from my French version disk. It works now perfectly.

Thanks again for your help

Oliver