1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX change GUID

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by robystar, 2/1/10.

1. robystar

robystar

Hi,

As in FSX there is no difference between aircraft and scenery mdl's, it is easy to make a scenery object out of an (FSX) aircraft mdl.
    In the case of the fantastic USS Nimitz/Eisenhower, Javier Fernandez used the same model and the same GUID for his various configurations.
    But I prefer to make it a static carrier so as to have AI land on it.
    Unfortunately I can only use one of his models/configurations as changing textures and GUID in modelconverterX and exporting again makes you loose the animations.
    I therefore wonder if there is a way to change the GUID and exporting the model again without loosing the animations.
    Sorry for rather long explanation.
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Not with ModelConverterX at the moment, you noticed the problems with the animations that it gives. I would probably do it by manually tweaking the MDL file.

But why do you need to change the GUID? What goes wrong if you use the MDL with its current GUID?
  3. robystar

robystar

Hi Arno,

Nothing goes wrong if you use this one mdl. But as I tried to explain, Javier managed to use one mdl for all of his configurations. So he uses the same model with the same GUID number for both the Nimitz (CV68) and the Eisenhower(cv69).
    When I therefore try to add the two of them as static objects, I have two objects with the same guid and one will overwrite the other.
    How do I manually tweak an FSX mdl? With model tweaker?
  4. robystar

robystar

Upon taking for granted the fact that you loose the animations once you have converted the aformentioned model to a static object ( It did not matter too much as I wantted to have a carrier in the harbor), I now notice that you also lose your hardened surface.
    Of course I can rebuild it, but is this normal?

PS I am using your latest development release of Dec 24.
    Last edited: 2/1/10
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Ah, I understand now, yes for aircraft you can have different repaints, but for scenery they need to be different MDL files.

Correct, platforms are also not yet supported. Still on the todo list. What I meant with manually is using a hex editor to change the GUID within the MDL file, maybe not the easiest option for most of us :). I am not aware of a tool that can change it.
  6. robystar

robystar

Yep, I thought as much.
    I will try and find my Hex editor (threw it away as I did not think I would need it anymore) and see if I can change the Guid.
    Good night for later on from a snowed under part of Holland.
  7. flash1

flash1

germany
    Hi Guys.

I´m trying to make Javier´s great Nimitz usable for Multiplayer Flying. I was able to create a static scenery - but lost all of the animations, just as robystar said.

Did you guys find a way so solve this? Do I have to use a certain mdl ?

And: No, I don´t want to use the "Multiplayer mission package", posted somewhere else. The aim is to get the carrier static with all animation within the North Sea...

Thanks for any help or hints.
    Last edited: 17/1/10
  8. robystar

robystar

Hi,

Don't recall if I did something special but I do have the static model cv68 with animated radar and flags but no moving elevators or anything else. But for a static model (port visit config), that does not bother me.
    Edit: -The elevator moves as well but just once and downwards.
    - I did lose the hard surface.
    - I do have another static one cv69 in the red sea but used the original mdl without running it through MCX (so, with hard surface and all animations).
    Therefore, if you need only one static model, use the original mdl, make a library object out of it with e.g. library creator xml, put it in a new CVX folder and activate it in the scenery library afterwards.
    Last edited: 17/1/10
  9. robystar

robystar

With CVx I did not mean an ADE/FSX cvx but a CV68 or 69.
    Please read CVxx or whtever folder name you choose.
  10. flash1

flash1

germany
    Thanks for the help, robystar.

I used the cvn68_1.mdl, put it into library creator xml, edited the xml with the new location and compiled it.
    Now the carrier is in the new location - but still the optical sight, wake, catapult and arrestor cables don´t work.

Seems like those "attachpoint" - parts didn´t get compiled the right way.
    Last edited: 24/1/10
  11. azreark1

azreark1

unitedstates
    flash, actually what seems to happen is that somewhere in the FSX code it makes all of that stuff "non-working" as soon as you hit multiplayer. i have been working on the same thing and have been trying all sorts of different ways to get this thing to work in MP, but it just doesnt. If you think about it, AI works perfectly fine in single player/free flight, you get AI Aircraft at airports and Javier's carrier works just fine, but if you use the SAME model in multiplayer then everything gets erased. I am not sure why this happens yet or where in FSX it happens but i'll be damned if i let it get the best of me...it has to be in the code somewhere that when you select multiplayer FSX turns all of that stuff off to make it probably more frame-rate friendly.

EDIT: What i'm curious to find out is, if its possible to specify the "tailhook" entry in the aircraft CFG file, why cant we define a catapult entry in the carrier CFG file....just food for thought.

EDIT x2: after some deep thought last night I think I might have come to an even better conclusion, and might need some help from arno or scruffy on this one but what if the whole problem with the carrier...or any other similar simobject, is that we are turning it into a "scenery object". Maybe that property in and of itself is causing the issue. Just more food for thought...
    Last edited: 21/10/10