1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX changing GUID

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by robystar, 24/4/10.

1. robystar

robystar

Hi,

Unless I am mistaken, the latest development release does not let me change the GUID anymore.
    I change the GUID (without changing the name), export and reload the mdl and the new mdl has the same old GUID again. I do not have to change the name each time as well, do I?
  2. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    ModelconverterX has an inbuilt "safety feature" that will not reassign a GUID if one exists in the file you are writing to.

Write to a different filename.

(and yes, I was unaware of this too)
  3. robystar

robystar

Thanks.
    In the meantime I found out that changing name and GUID solves the problem.
    Did not know about the built in safety feature.
  4. robystar

robystar

But in the end, the problem I encountered was due to something completely different:
    - MCX finds the textures where ever you make it look. I had some textures prepared but they were still in the project file and not in the static object library/texture. MCX found them but FSX did not, the object did not show up and I kept wondering how come it did not.
    The above just for info.
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Changing both the name and the GUID should not matter, if you export to the same MDL file it will use the GUID found in that MDL file.

However if you change the name, you get another default name when exporting...

Maybe I should make this safety feature on option, but it was build in to prevent changing the GUID by accident.
  6. robystar

robystar

Hi Arno,

No, it is all right. Leave the safety on. It is just that I start to run out of names when experimenting with the textures:).
    As I said, the problem was that, although the mdl showed the textures, MCX had, I think, pointed the texture path to the project file texture and did so in the compiled mdl as well. The project file not being in FSX, FSX could not find the textures. Hope you understand what I am trying to explain.
  7. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

In the MDL files there is no texture path at all. The MDL files only store the texture filename. They look for these files in the texture folder belonging to the scenery folder where the BGL is and in the main texture folder.
  8. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    Perhaps a little warning box when the "safety" feature is used ... or a Confirm box then.

I don;t think you should be able to switch it off in the options panel.

It is a good idea.
  9. robystar

robystar

Hi again,

Took me a while to digest what you were saying, Arno.
    Could it be then that because the object had only one (diffuse) texture sheet in the static object/texture folder and the night texture sheet was not there, might have prevented the object from showing up? In other words, if a night texture is given to the object, but not found, the object does not show?
    Sounds improbable but you never know?
    (MCX compiled fine, no warnings on export except when importing the MDL again, MCX warned me the night texture could not be loaded. Deleting the night texture entry solved the problem.)
    Last edited: 24/4/10
  10. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

Yes, if you have a missing texture (for example night texture) that can result in the object not showing in FSX. You always need to make sure all textures are there.
  11. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Here's another oddity to note. If you have a "bump map" in the FSX Material, but it is missing in the texture folder...

...in the sim the diffuse color texture will appear, but the shading will be inverted... :yikes: