1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Runway height

Discussion in 'Ground2k4, SBuilder, SBuilderX' started by Wildfire563, 10/12/05.

1. Wildfire563

Wildfire563

unitedstates
    Hi,
    Somebody pointed out that a new AFCAD with FFNE for MA55 had trees on the runway. When I looked at it, it turns out the default runway is 90 degrees to its actual direction, and the runway was at 90 ft (as noted by AirNav) while the ground in the area is at from 0 to 10 feet across the island the runway is on (a small island just west of Nantucket).

So I created a new AFCAD using AFCAD 2.21, I removed the old flatten using LWMViewer and BGLC, and using Sbuilder, created a new flatten, a layer 7 poly exclude for the old airport background, and several excludes to remove the trees. The runway was created at 3 feet, and the flatten was created at .9 m. I did not create an airport background.

When I go to the airport in FS, everything looks correct, except that the runway itself is floating in the air at 90 ft. If I go past the edge, the plane can drop down to the ground and you can see the runway surface (dirt) painted on the ground, but, as soon as I move the plane onto the runway surface, it rises up to 90 ft but the mesh remains at 3 ft.

If I remove AP929170.bgl, the problem goes away. If I edit AP929170.bgl and set the original runway height to .91 m, the problem goes away (you have to fix a few com callouts in other airports to get it to recompile). If (with unedited AP929170) you add a parking space to the airport, now you can see the mesh rise up to the runway. Interestingly, the shape of the mesh looks like a cross between the object excludes and the flatten I created, even if I turn the files containing these objects off. I've had the AFCAD both with the airport reference point different from and exactly the same as the original ARP. I have tried it with the original ARP both inside and outside of the VTP exclude, with the new ARP as the same position as the default. The runway and flattens/original background/VTP Exclude do not appear to be near any LOD5 boundaries. The new "mesh" at 90 ft (nonexistant with no parking slots) follows the shape of the new runway, not the old. I have tried having the AFCAD file both in the same directory as the new flatten/excludes and in a directory with a higher scenery priority than the flatten/excludes.

Anyone have any clues as to what else I need to do to change the height of the runway, without having to edit AP929170? It's one thing to have to instruct people how to remove the flatten, but if I also have to instruct them how to edit AP929170, I think that's a little too much.

Here's the new AFCAD XML:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- disassembled by NewBglAnalyze Fri Dec 09 16:00:30 2005 -->

<FSData version="9.0"
    xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
    xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<Airport ident="MA55"
    region=""
    country="United States"
    state="Massachusetts"
    city="Muskeget Island"
    name="Muskeget Island Airport"
    lat="N41 20.09061"
    lon="W070 17.96787"
    alt="0.91M"
    magvar="16.00">

<DeleteAirport
    deleteAllApronLights="TRUE"
    deleteAllAprons="TRUE"
    deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE"
    deleteAllHelipads="TRUE"
    deleteAllRunways="TRUE"
    deleteAllStarts="TRUE"
    deleteAllTaxiways="TRUE"
    >
    </DeleteAirport>

<Runway number="NORTHEAST" designator="NONE"
    lat="N41 20.11236"
    lon="W070 18.19140"
    alt="0.91M"
    length="457.20M"
    width="30.48M"
    heading="117.50"
    surface="DIRT"
    primaryTakeoff="YES"
    primaryLanding="YES"
    primaryPattern="LEFT"
    secondaryTakeoff="YES"
    secondaryLanding="YES"
    secondaryPattern="RIGHT"
    patternAltitude="1000.0F">
    </Runway>

<Start type="RUNWAY"
    number="NORTHEAST" designator="NONE"
    lat="N41 20.16830"
    lon="W070 18.33576"
    alt="0.91M"
    heading="117.75"/>

<Start type="RUNWAY"
    number="SOUTHWEST" designator="NONE"
    lat="N41 20.05690"
    lon="W070 18.05037"
    alt="0.91M"
    heading="297.75"/>

</Airport>

</FSData>
    Last edited: 10/12/05
  2. dan

dan

us-rhodeisland
    This is what you have to edit:

<Runway number="NORTHEAST" designator="NONE"
    lat="N41 20.11236"
    lon="W070 18.19140"
    alt="0.91M"
    length="457.20M"
    width="30.48M"
    heading="117.50"
    surface="DIRT"
    primaryTakeoff="YES"
    primaryLanding="YES"
    primaryPattern="LEFT"
    secondaryTakeoff="YES"
    secondaryLanding="YES"
    secondaryPattern="RIGHT"
    patternAltitude="1000.0F">
    </Runway>

As far as I know raising the runways should raise the whole airport.
  3. Wildfire563

Wildfire563

unitedstates
    Hi,
    .91 m is what I want.

The problem is, the default airport is at 27m (90 ft), and despite all the steps I have taken as noted above, including editing all altitude descriptors in the AFCAD to the height that I want, the new runway retains the old height (27m). Just the runway. Everything else is at the height I want, 3 ft (.91 m).

Another interesting point to note is that, when the original AP929170.bgl is active (with the old height), the active runway is always the Southwest end. When either AP929170 is deactivated, or I use the edited AP929170 with the new heights, the Northeast end is the active runway. I don't know if that means anything.

Also, as I noted, I had to add type and name (ASOS,BOSTON) to the com's of to KPYM, KCQX, and KTAN, and remove a duplicate com (ATIS) at KACK in order to get the decompiled (NewBGLAnalyze.exe) AP929170.bgl to compile with BGLComp.exe.

Thanks,

Thomas
    Last edited: 10/12/05
  4. Wildfire563

Wildfire563

unitedstates
    <== Dummy, sometimes a quick search of the archives could save many hours of head banging.

I found my answer right here in the forums. Thanks guys and gals, well guys, since I didn't see any gals respond to the thread (How come?).

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=123&topic_id=24653&mode=full

Trick is to put a minimum AFCAD in a scenery directory which is loaded before the regional directories are loaded. Such as:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- disassembled by NewBglAnalyze Fri Dec 09 16:00:30 2005 -->

<FSData version="9.0"
    xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
    xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<Airport ident="MA55"
    region=""
    country="United States"
    state="Massachusetts"
    city="Muskeget Island"
    name="Muskeget Island Airport"
    lat="N41 20.09061"