1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choose ILS runway

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by Reider, 12/1/08.

1. Reider

Reider

Hi,

I have ILS on my runway, but in the GPS selection I do not get the option to choose runway x as the approach (ILS RW x). What differentiates an airport that has this facility and one that doesn`t? Is it the placement of NDB`s or something else, like some kind of navaid?

This is for a carrier, the runway is offset and angled from the centre line and I have addressed this. The ILS marker (arrow) lines up perfectly with the angled runway. But the aircraft follows the magenta line under GPS conditions. When choosing approach (via GPS) the runway ILS option is not there. This information would be handy for any other airports in the future too.

I myself do not need or want ILS on the carrier. But, I can see that this may be a useful feature for some who are struggling with it. At the moment, just the marker itself is useful but having the aircraft line up with the runway would be a bonus as it is offset and angled from the centre line.

NOTE:
    Can`t wait for the Pro version of ADE, this is brilliant stuff! Got Skegness (Ingoldmells) and Scarborough (Eddsfield) on the go now too, though very basic. As an ex East coast person of some 20 years ago I like having these virtual places to land. It may sound daft to some, but it feels like I`m going back home for a short while, or visiting the places I knew when I was younger.

Reider
    AKA Steve
    ________
    vaporgenie
    Last edited: 20/1/11
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Steve

I am not the best person to answer this - Jim Vile is, and I think he is about somewhere :)
    One question I have though is whether you have set up any approaches for your ILS? Unfortunately ADE Home does not handle approaches but ADE Pro will.

Anyway I am sure one of the real experts will come on and offer some help
  3. jvile

jvile

Adding a ILS by way of any type Utility is only for the User Aircraft radio.

The runway owns the ILS or in your case the carrier which means nothing more then the User plane can dial in a freq and fly the Localizer and GS/DME if added.

Now if you want ATC/GPS Receiver to understand the ILS exsit you have to write an approach code for that portion of FS.

The approach code requires 2 TERMINAL_WAYPOINTS known as IAF and FAF, the runway number used for the airport/carrier and a missed approach code.

If the Carrier is animated then this cannot be accomplished

When the approach is written correctly it would resemble the following

<Approach type="ILS" runway="35" suffix="0"
    gpsOverlay="FALSE" designator="NONE" fixType="TERMINAL_WAYPOINT"
    fixRegion="K3" fixIdent="LORAH" altitude="3000.000F"
    heading="350.10" missedAltitude="5000.000F">
    <ApproachLegs>
    <Leg type="IF"
    altitude1="5000.000F"
    altitude2="3000.000F"
    altitudeDescriptor="+"
    theta="168.0000"
    rho="26490.3750"
    fixType="TERMINAL_WAYPOINT"
    fixIdent="SSTAR"
    fixRegion="K3"
    recommendedType="LOCALIZER"
    recommendedIdent="IBMA" />
    <Leg type="CF"
    fixRegion="K3"
    fixIdent="LORAH"
    flyOver="FALSE"
    theta="168.0"
    rho="13523.06"
    magneticCourse="348.0"
    distance="0.00"
    altitudeDescriptor="+"
    altitude1="3000.00F"
    altitude2="2643.00F" />
    <Leg type="CF"
    fixType="RUNWAY"
    fixRegion="K3"
    fixIdent="RW35"
    flyOver="FALSE"
    theta="168.0"
    rho="2037.72"
    magneticCourse="348.0"
    distance="0.00"
    altitudeDescriptor="A"
    altitude1="884.00F" />
    </ApproachLegs>
    <MissedApproachLegs>
    <Leg type="CA"
    altitude1="1599.981F"
    altitudeDescriptor="+"
    magneticCourse="347.5"
    turnDirection="E" />
    <Leg type="DF"
    altitude1="0.000F"
    altitude2="0.000F"
    theta="0.0000"
    rho="0.0000"
    flyOver="NO"
    turnDirection="E"
    fixIdent="RO240"
    fixRegion="K3"
    recommendedType="TERMINAL_WAYPOINT"
    recommendedIdent="RO240" />
    </MissedApproachLegs>
    </Approach>
    Last edited: 12/1/08
  4. Reider

Reider

Thx for this, I`ll have a look through the existing files for the airports in use. I`ll try EGNJ Humberside UK as an example as it only has runway 21 on ILS-from the river Humber side, facing the Humber Bridge. RW 3 has no ILS.

If I can see how its been done for another airport then I can better understand whats involved. I decided to keep the carrier static and use it in conjunction with aicarrier2. I believe one day we`ll be able to lift objects in free flight and refuel too, that is going to be a really powerful feature for people. Especially being able to practise and play around out of a timed mission scenario. Got one in Plymouth and another in the Persian Gulf now. World dominance begins..... ;)

Reider
    ________
    Yamaha XV1600A
    Last edited: 20/1/11