1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cliffs

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by richard64, 26/4/08.

1. richard64

richard64

wales
    Hi, how ya all doin'

ADE and all that working just fine.
    Reading this forum reguarly and picking up lots of tips.

However can someone please explain how to get rid of or reduce the "cliff" effect when flattening an area.
    If the area is relatively flat anyway it does not show up too much, but if the area is either on a slope or hilly then flattening even a small area produces cliffs.

Is this blending??

Regards
    Richard.
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    George is probably the best person to answer this. But you are more or less correct. If the area of the airport is generally not flat then the flatten will cause the surrounding area to be blended in by FSX - and not very well. The way over it is to create some extra sloping flattens from your airport flatten into the surrounding area. The bad news is that ADE 1.22 does not allow sloping polys. The good news is that ADE 1.25 does and this version is in final testing.

It is probably fair to say that if you need to do a lot of this ADE 1.25 will not be the fastest or easiest way to do it. However this functionality will be enhanced over the coming versions.
  3. richard64

richard64

wales
    Smashing thanks Jon.

Perhaps George can help but I am happy to wait for 1.25 as I am in no particular at the moment.

Regards.
  4. pierrot1951

pierrot1951

france
    Hello

Presently, you can use SBuilderX to get a gentle slope in place of cliff.
    You have your main AB Flatten polygon, horizontal, at airport elevation.
    For instance, at the end of runway, you can create an other polygon (rectangle), tagged with AB Flatten, not horizontal, but with different elevations for higher and lower points. So, you have a gentle slope instead of cliff.

Concerning ADE 1.25, will it be possible to use really slopy runways? So far, I created slopy airfields, but afcad / ADE tools can be used only for position, starting places, or parking (all that is at same elevation).

Pierrot - FMEP
  5. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    No that kind of things need GMax I think. ADE uses the XML based airport code and that does not allow any element to slope
    Last edited: 27/4/08
  6. richard64

richard64

wales
    OK thanks guys.
  7. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    I've had luck hand-editing mesh, but it is very slow going. I've always thought maybe a tool like Blackart could automate it, but haven't figured out how to make it work.

scott s.