1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coast Guard Station - San Diego

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com, 28/12/07.

1. gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

us-california
    Next to KSAN (San Diego Intl/aka Linbergh Field) there is a small Coast Guard Air Station that has been there for over 70 years. It is currently home for 3 HH-60J helicopters but in the past has also housed fixed wing aircraft which take off from Lindbergh by crossing busy Harbor Drive (there is a traffic signal and automatic gates!).

This was one of my first attempts at scenery augmentation and I will have to admit to "borrowing" some of the buildings and combining them to form more authentic base buildings. I am struggling to learn gmax so I can start making my own models but as I age I find it harder to keep up LOL

Some things to note... the dock is incorrect. Its in the right spot, but its not nearly that large and cutters dont dock there. They have several boats 41' and under that tie up there and are used for maritime law enforcement and rescues. The one I built was a bit easier and actually looked better than my first attempt, plus the cutter was the only coast guard vessel in my library LOL Also there are missing details (b-ball court, tennis courts, walls and fences...) and the hangers are the FSX originals which are poor representations of the actual structures.
    I have not put it up for download, but I may at a later time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. meshman

meshman

withdrawn.
    Last edited: 29/6/09
  3. gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

us-california
    my biggest reason for not uploading it is with all the borrowed components I fear that many people may not have all of the scenery bits in their libraries... as well as wether I can re-distribute them legally.
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I think it is a good idea to find out which libraries you are actually using in your scenery.

If they are default objects, there is no problem as everybody has them (except from Acceleration Pack specific ones maybe).

If you used them from object libraries like Rwy12 libraries or similar, then you should ask the end users to install the same libraries you got. Redistributing them with your scenery is not such a good idea.

If you used objects from commercial sceneries, then you indeed have a problem :). It is better not to do that if you want to share your work with others later.
  5. gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

us-california
    That's the thing, originally I didn't plan on sharing it, it was just a little project for me. I think I may give it a rework (this time paying better attention to where the objects are from :p)and release it to the masses!
  6. gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

us-california
    Here are a couple of shots of the rework in progress. My main goal was to make the trees look better and attempt to make the hangers look more like the real ones. I have switched as many things over to stock fsx/accelleration objects (the cutter is one exception but its next) and will use some Rwy 12 stuff as well (fences, lightposts, detail fill). I augmented the stock hangers by placing others with them for the moment (yeah I know its a cheesey look but im still learning LOL. I hope to be able to start building some of my own soon). For the moment I am leaving the original base buildings and will add the models and textures with a note to their origin (borrowed from another freeware work) when I initially upload it, possibly by this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

us-california
    So after much thought I have removed the extra hangers and left the FSX originals in place. I decided the cleaner look of them was better for the time being. I completed fencing and walls, added a few more ground vehicles and lights in various spots around the base. And the single best visual improvement has to be the rubble added to the erosion prone areas.

I'm but a few tweaks away from releasing the 1.0. In the future I would like to add an animation to the gate for fixed wing aircraft, better buildings and hangers and some static aircraft models. For now I am moving the dock a little to the left and changing the boats docked there and fixing some minor alignment issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. tutmeister

tutmeister

unitedkingdom
    Great work, I see this as a good place to start a bunch of SAR missions from. I am greatly awaiting it's release! Thanks for your hard work.
  9. gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

us-california
    Thanks Tutmeister. The release will hopefully be soon, but due to an unexpected medical problem I have had less time to work on the final touches. I am thinking I should have it finished in the next week or two, barring tragedy's LOL.
    Last edited: 3/2/08
  10. gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

us-california
    Ok kids... heres a link to the .rar file of version 1.0! I apologize for the large number (24!) bgl files but thats how I did the project, bits and pieces.

http://www.box.net/shared/go0oi5c00w

The "Read me" has all the information you need, but I will let you know that in addition to RWY 12 and Acceleration, there are a couple of buildings from the amazing freeware scenery of KNZY North Island Naval Air Station for FSX by John Stinstrom and Jim Dhaenens. If you haven't got that one in your library, you need to get it. It's a great piece of work! There are links to it in the "Read Me". Don't worry if you don't have Acceleration... all you will be missing are some parked cars. Here are some comparison pics:

Stock FSX
    [​IMG]

CGASSD - Summer
    [​IMG]

CGASSD - Winter
    [​IMG]

I promise to redo this soon. I just got my copy of the gmax Bible and will be attempting to create my own objects to replace the borrowed ones ASAP. I also swear it will be a much more compact and user friendly 2.0