1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compilers

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by jsdratm, 31/1/08.

1. jsdratm

jsdratm

For the C/C++ developers out there, what compilers are you using? I keep getting all kinds of errors from SimConnect.h. I gave up on Dev-C++ and Visual C++ 6.0, so now I'm downloading Visual C++ 2008 Express and hoping that it will work...
  2. ronh

ronh

canada
    The SDK docs say you need - VC 2005 - 6 will not work.

"To build SimConnect add-ons, you must use Visual Studio 2005 or later, or Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition or later"

With Express you don't get MFC. But that should not stop you from building exe's or dll's. BTW 2005 Express should be a free download.
    Last edited: 31/1/08
  3. Waugh

Waugh

us-kentucky
    When in Rome....

If you are developing for MS stuff, you will find it is best to use their compiler.

Frankly, once you get use to Visual Studio, you won't want to use anything else anyway unless you are programming for Unix systems.

In addition to Visual Studio, I would highly recommend Visual Assist X by Whole Tomato. You can try it free for 3 days.

Patrick
  4. jsdratm

jsdratm

I like to use open source stuff, but I must confess that I love the newer releases of Visual Studio and Visual C++. It was a great idea to release these "express" versions as freeware and not something I would expect from Microsoft.

BTW, I was able to get the code to compile in Visual C++ 9.0 Express no problem. Does anyone know why it won't compile in earlier versions? Perhaps SimConnect's API is using the .NET library?
  5. Simon853

Simon853

I a was able to get the SimConnect samples to compile in VS.net 2003, or at least every sample I tried. The only thing I had to do was play a copy of the SimConnect lib into the project directory as it wouldn't link otherwise, whereas if their built under VC++ 2005 Express they seem to find it wherever is is.

Si
  6. ronh

ronh

canada
    Si,

To get 2005 express to "find" your simconnect.lib and simconnt.h - you need to add the include (inc) and library (lib) directories.

right click on you project - properties - open the C/C++ tree and see:

Additional include directories

for .h files.

Press the three dots and browse to the SDK inc directory.

open up the Linker tree for the:

Additional Library directories

Press the three dots for the SDK lib directory.

MS omitted that Gem.

HTH
    Last edited: 1/2/08
  7. davidt

davidt

canada
    It will work with Visual Studio .net (2003) as well. They just want you to use the newer ones. :p

I do everything with C++ in VS.net and it works just fine. Other than the property boxes looking different than in the screenshots, the setup is the same and will still work.