1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert an objetc to X-plane

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by NGX, 30 Nov 2017.

1. NGX

NGX

germany
    hi there,

I tried to convert an single FSX object to X-Plane bit it doesn´t work. The object has only one texture and I converted it to wavefrobt .obj

In MCX I can load the obj. but it load without texture (dds). Texture and OBJ are in the same folder. If try to load the object in X-Plane I got the message "this is not a valid X-plane object. Tried also the old obj. format but it didn´t work as well.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks for your help,
    Holger

2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Wavefront OBJ is not the same as X-Plane OBJ, although they have the same extension.

MCX doesn't support writing X-Plane OBJ files yet. That's on the wish list, but given the one texture per object restriction hard to implement in a generic way.

3. NGX

NGX

germany
    Ah okay ...

Thank you Arno! Thought it were already in. Do you know a different tool which can do it? I tried FS2Xplane but simply converting a single bgl file seems not to work.

4. arno

netherlands
    I'll see if I can add something. I can start simple and based on feedback add more features.

I would have to check if X-Plane changed their format recently as well.

5. NGX

NGX

germany
    Oh, sounds promising. Looking forward :)

6. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

Just to let you know I'm making good progress. Basic objects I can export, I still need to check the animations. Once things are working it will be put in the development release.

7. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

The animations are turning out a bit harder than I hoped. So I will ignore them for now. I'm pushing a new development release now, so if you download it in about 15 minutes you'll have a version that can export X-Plane OBJ files.

While reading through the OBJ documentation I found some aspects I can improve in the XOBJ reader and writer. So I'll add more extra options and features in the coming time.